• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New (to me) skis

skigirl72

Certified Ski Diva
Guys! (Sorry... ladies... I'm from NY, everyone is "guys")

So after all my pondering, deliberating, and frankly spending too much mental energy on which skis to demo at Winter Park last weekend, I ended up finding a pair of used K2 Potion 84 skis in 146 cm for a really good deal, and (urged on by a friend) I bought them. The only other skis I've used were 130cm and 140cm "sport" package beginner skis and a pair of 146 cm K2 Strikes with a 70mm waist, so I was just a little worried that the wider, stiffer Potions might be too much for me. (Online reviews rate them anywhere from Intermediate to Expert, so no help there!)

BUT, they were awesome! I had no trouble turning; if anything I actually had an easier time tipping my skis to get from edge to edge (rather than "muscling" them around). Last time I skied, with the Strikes, my knees were really sore by the end of the day and I could tell that turning was putting a lot of twisting stress on them. I knew it, and I knew better technique would fix it, but I couldn't seem to do anything about it. This past weekend I could just tip from one side to the other and I could feel the edges of the skis turning me. NO knee pain or fatigue.

It took me a couple runs to get used to them, and what I eventually realized is that I needed to be a little more aggressive than with the skinnier, more flexible skis. When I started to just drift down, la-di-da, take it easy... it didn't go so well... I found myself too far back, kind of bumping over the snow and not feeling connected to the ground, like I could slide out any minute. When I approached a run in what I think of as "attack mode" I felt more in control than I have ever felt so far. (This was my 3rd trip, 8th day skiing total) The skis really bit into the snow and I was having fun experimenting with how precisely I could control my speed and steering. I even skied through a few small fields of bumps (top of "Cranmer", sides of "Larry Sale" to anyone who knows Winter Park well) with no mishaps. It was 50 deg the first day (Feb 10) so the snow was really soft and wet, and then it cooled off a lot the second day. Some runs were icy and "crunchy" and some had what I thought was pretty nice snow, deeper and chopped up, but still pretty soft. Felt pretty secure on all of it though. And the Trace app I had running on my phone recorded my fastest speed yet - 32mph, with 28.4mph "sustained" (not racing speeds, but exciting for me)

Anyway, you guys have been so helpful with my questions about which skis to try or buy that I wanted to give you an update. I am going to Steamboat for 5 days in March and I can't wait!! :thumbsup:

Divegirl

Angel Diva
I have the Potion 74Xti and love them. They carve beautifully. I also have the K2 Superstitious which is 84 underfoot like yours and maybe a year or 2 older than the Potion series. Love both of my K2s.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sure hope you are a petite lightweight woman , because that is a very short ski. But , given that you are new to the sport I am sure this ski will give you the confidence to you to outgrow these very quickly! And that is a GOOD thing.
The wider width usually offers some stability that many newer skiers find refreshing, but may also contribute to the development of bad habits. You'll get it worked out though.

skigirl72

Certified Ski Diva
I have the Potion 74Xti and love them. They carve beautifully. I also have the K2 Superstitious which is 84 underfoot like yours and maybe a year or 2 older than the Potion series. Love both of my K2s.
I was looking at the Superstitious too, and the guy selling them told me that K2 basically changed the graphics and the name to Potion and they're the exact same ski. I just got a better deal on the Potions :bounce:

Badger, I am not quite 5'-1" and about 105-lbs so yes. The skis come up to my eyebrows. I know people ski longer, but they're not midget skis on me at least :becky: Also I am definitely planning to take a lesson during my Steamboat trip, so hopefully I can nip any bad habits I'm forming in the bud!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Audry , I just returned from Steamboat! Took a lesson there as well. What a fun mountain. Your new skis will enjoy cruising around as much as you will.

EAVL

Certified Ski Diva
Guys! (Sorry... ladies... I'm from NY, everyone is "guys")

So after all my pondering, deliberating, and frankly spending too much mental energy on which skis to demo at Winter Park last weekend, I ended up finding a pair of used K2 Potion 84 skis in 146 cm for a really good deal, and (urged on by a friend) I bought them. The only other skis I've used were 130cm and 140cm "sport" package beginner skis and a pair of 146 cm K2 Strikes with a 70mm waist, so I was just a little worried that the wider, stiffer Potions might be too much for me. (Online reviews rate them anywhere from Intermediate to Expert, so no help there!)

BUT, they were awesome! I had no trouble turning; if anything I actually had an easier time tipping my skis to get from edge to edge (rather than "muscling" them around). Last time I skied, with the Strikes, my knees were really sore by the end of the day and I could tell that turning was putting a lot of twisting stress on them. I knew it, and I knew better technique would fix it, but I couldn't seem to do anything about it. This past weekend I could just tip from one side to the other and I could feel the edges of the skis turning me. NO knee pain or fatigue.

It took me a couple runs to get used to them, and what I eventually realized is that I needed to be a little more aggressive than with the skinnier, more flexible skis. When I started to just drift down, la-di-da, take it easy... it didn't go so well... I found myself too far back, kind of bumping over the snow and not feeling connected to the ground, like I could slide out any minute. When I approached a run in what I think of as "attack mode" I felt more in control than I have ever felt so far. (This was my 3rd trip, 8th day skiing total) The skis really bit into the snow and I was having fun experimenting with how precisely I could control my speed and steering. I even skied through a few small fields of bumps (top of "Cranmer", sides of "Larry Sale" to anyone who knows Winter Park well) with no mishaps. It was 50 deg the first day (Feb 10) so the snow was really soft and wet, and then it cooled off a lot the second day. Some runs were icy and "crunchy" and some had what I thought was pretty nice snow, deeper and chopped up, but still pretty soft. Felt pretty secure on all of it though. And the Trace app I had running on my phone recorded my fastest speed yet - 32mph, with 28.4mph "sustained" (not racing speeds, but exciting for me)

Anyway, you guys have been so helpful with my questions about which skis to try or buy that I wanted to give you an update. I am going to Steamboat for 5 days in March and I can't wait!! :thumbsup:

That's awesome!! I just had the exact same experience this weekend with the Volkl Kenja! I am a solid intermediate and the online reviews kept saying this ski is for advanced-expert ladies. I was worried but found I wanted to ski aggressively and fast in this ski, it was stable and fun! Easy to turn and yes my legs were not as tired at the end of the day. I also felt like if I got lazy it put me in the back seat and tried to take me for a ride. I made a big jump in length, width and stiffness from my old skis. I ended up buying that demo pair. I will have to try that app and check my speed! I hope you have fun in Steamboat and that we get fresh snow! I am in CO too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna