• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Need advice on Dalbello boots

Mary Zavilla

Diva in Training
I recently went to a ski shop and was put in a Dalbello boot -Chakra. Loved the boot but am scared of 95 flex. I am an advancing intermediate skier but I have severe arthritis in knees and just had sx 8 wks ago on L knee. Think 95 flex may be too stiff-but their Dalbello's 85 flex is adv as a novice boot. Bought the Lotus to try -not sure what would be best. Would love advice! Thanks.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Flex numbers are not standardized. Did the boot fitter say you were able to flex it when you tried?

Mary Zavilla

Diva in Training
Yes but afraid it may be too much for a whole day of skiing on the knees. Also said they get stiffer-w/cold and based on tech in boot. So a bit worrisome. Dalbello seems to not have any I between flex 95 is expert and 85 is novice-doesn't make sense to me. Did great last ut in a Lange 80 flex -but dig was awful.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They definitely do get stiffer in the cold. With that boot design, the tongue can be swapped out, so you could find out if Dalbello makes a softer flexing tongue for that boot. Also, I was complaining about a boot being stiff a while ago, and the bootfitter sprayed it with some sort of lube ... instantly reduced friction so that it flexed more easily.

What stands out to me, though, is that you say you went to a ski shop. With your concerns and an orthopedic history, you'd be better served by a bootfitter specializing in getting people into the right boot, not just moving merchandise.

Here's a thread on what a bootfitter does: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-you-yes-you-need-a-boot-fitting.2075/

Here's a thread with a list of bootfitters by region, so you can find one nearby: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-bootfitters-across-the-world.6375/

mustski

Angel Diva
If it helps, I use the Dalbello Kryzmas which are supposedly a 110 flex and they feel much softer than that. I have terrible ankle flexion and I have no trouble flexing them. I am a middle aged women and just average strength. I think the numbers are just higher with Dalbello.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mary, not be too nosy, but what is your height and weight? Those measurements can affect your flex. And yes, boots are not standarized too much. I am petite and am under 100 pounds and have the Chakra as well. Honestly, the 95 flex does not seem to cause any issues. Not having the body mass to generate extra force like a heavier skier could do, I am not sure that the number on the boot means all that much. A stiffer ski on the other hand, WILL get my attention pretty quickly! ( I ski a somewhat stiff ski though, or at least other people think it is stiff.)

I came from a junior race boot to the Dalbello Chakra and have found that the higher flex rating made no real difference. In fact, I have found that whatever additional stiffness the boot may have has increased my ability to control the skis. The Intuition liner that comes inside the Chakra also contributes to a feeling of stiffness, or a more secure fit, if you will. If you are using a lower flex than what might be best suited to your body size, the lack of control may actually INCREASE your orthopedic issues.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Dalbello boot, the Mantis 12 I.D. I love my boot, but it was recommended for my foot by a very good bootfitter, and he had to order it in for me. It's a 95 flex and is not too stiff at all. I'm also older, and don't want too stiff of a boot.

Badger brings up a good point, that too soft a flex may compound your problems.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you want to see if your boots will be hard to flex on the hill, just ask the shop to put them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, then try them on.

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Mary,

I cannot comment on how flex would impact your arthritis, just: hope you are doing well!!

But I wanted to share my experience with Dalbello boots: I found them MUCH softer - even with the strongest "top tongue" (or how do you call this thing on top of your foot?) they offer - than any "normal" 4-buckle-boot. At the time I did not try their Chakra but their Krypton. Concept of boot (with that top-tongue-thing) should be the same, but the Krypton is supposed to be their stiffest boot.
So compared to other boots I think your Dalbellos might be worth a try for you :smile:

Have fun!

Mary Zavilla

Diva in Training
Thanks for all the replies -I think I may stick w/the Chakra-opinions on molding the intuition liners? Will it significantly help fit?

Mary Zavilla

Diva in Training
Oh and to answer the above questions -I am 123 and 5'5". In pretty good shape w/the exception being the strength in my L knee.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I LOVE the fit with my intuitions in my AT boots. They fit me perfectly after the mold. I would highly recommend it. I was sad that my feet didn't work with the Dalbellos I tried because that meant I couldn't get an Intuition liner.

Christy

Angel Diva
opinions on molding the intuition liners? Will it significantly help fit?

My fitter told me that three days wearing them is the equivalent of having them molded, but then after some fitting work he decided he wanted to mold them on me. I don't remember what it was that made him want to do it in shop, but clearly he didn't think this was necessary for everyone.

mustski

Angel Diva
Thanks for all the replies -I think I may stick w/the Chakra-opinions on molding the intuition liners? Will it significantly help fit?
Definitely. Also, it will hurt like all get out until you do break them in. Intuition does make one liner that is supposed to be broken in by skiing in them. The rest are intended to be heat molded.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When they mold the Intuitions, they also create space to accommodate shell pressure points that they can already see potentially causing problems... before you are using the boot on the hill. Unlike poor Mustski---ouch!--- I have never ever had boot pain whether new or not. The liners fit well and keep your feet pretty warm and happy.:becky:

mustski

Angel Diva
When they mold the Intuitions, they also create space to accommodate shell pressure points that they can already see potentially causing problems... before you are using the boot on the hill. Unlike poor Mustski---ouch!--- I have never ever had boot pain whether new or not. The liners fit well and keep your feet pretty warm and happy.:becky:
Although I have had many boot issues over the years, I am happy to say that the intuition liners weren't one of them. I was smart enough to have those heat molded before wearing! :bounce:Some of us do learn from other bad experiences.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

That's a good point. They'll put a toe cap inside your sock that gives a lot more room. I don't see any reason not to heat mold a liner designed for that.

Mary Zavilla

Diva in Training
Well as much as I like the intuition liners -I am returning the Chakra's as my husband and I both agreed they are too stiff for me -esp w/my
Post-op knee. I can't hardly flex at all w/that leg and that is in 70 degree house-I will really struggle in the neg temps we get here in northern UT! I will keep shopping! May have to give the Fischer vacuums a try.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I was sad that my feet didn't work with the Dalbellos I tried because that meant I couldn't get an Intuition liner.
Intuition liners are offered as after-market liners that will work with most boots.

They'll put a toe cap inside your sock that gives a lot more room. I don't see any reason not to heat mold a liner designed for that.
I actually had mine re-heated after the first "cook," without the toe caps, which left a bit too much space.

@Mary Zavilla, sounds like you're best off seeking a softer boot in the 70+- flex range. Flex admittedly does vary between manufacturers, but all have softer options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly