• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Most Hyped Ski You've Hated

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Santa Ana 93....I think it may have been the 161s.....definitely was not the 153s.
If you're looking for a 93 ski, give the Head Kore 93 a try. They went down to smaller lengths.
If you're willing to give the Santa Ana a try again, the 2017-18 version has metal and the 100 is a better ski.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess we are the outliers. I felt like I threw a molotov saying I didn't like them, as most people instantly love them!

Lol, yes we are! yes, A ton of love on here for Volkls!
Not too worry, we all know the secret to finding "the right ski" is demo demo demo and what one person loves, another may hate.

I like light, flexible nimble skis that I 'drive' must go fast and lay down rail road tracks Volkls so far have been too 'plankish'. I like wood core vs metal in my skis but I'll try the new volkls at our mt's demo day this Feb just to keep trying to feel the love.
I love the technology of new skis it is amazing!

I think unless someone that knows 'how I ski' recommends a ski, demoing is good idea. a diva on here encouraged me to get the z-90's after she demoed, said I was first person she thought of when skiing them, stable, light, nimble, they make fast tight turns, big turns and go fast.. First pair of skis I've bought in a very long time I bought w/out demo.. and I do love them!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love a stiff ski. My daily drivers are kenjas. If I can try Santa Ana 100s, I'll give it a go! I'll try anything! But the local mountains are....underwhelming in their demo options, usually. I am half afraid I will fall in love with a fat ski at some point, the problem being we don't get nearly enough pow to make it worth the cost lol!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lol, yes we are! yes, A ton of love on here for Volkls!

I could not stand the Volkl Kenjas. Heresy! (Love the RTM 84 and enjoyed trying the Kanjo, though).

I think the Nordica Soul Rider 97 is an under-appreciated ski, fwiw. If you didn't like the Santa Ana, try the SR! Playful, but not wimpy. Wood core with some carbon over the edges, I think? Lots of camber, and great edge grip. For an east-coast playful all-mountain ski, I think it's awesome.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also forgot.....elan ripsticks!!! They just exploded out of nowhere into stunning popularity last year at my home mountain and the other two resorts near me. My dude friends got them, a friend's wife loved them, 6 people insisted I would love them. Absolutely no charisma between those skis and me. Holy cow, I've not skied something I got along less with than trying my moms old school Rossi straight skis from the 80s. They chattered. They slipped. They resisted going edge to edge. I could not get out of the backseat to save my life, and that is usually not a problem for me.

Noooooooope.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting. I've definitely found I like a smaller radius and sidewall construction. I had the Kiku and also didn't love it except on groomers, which was kind of not the point. I had thought they were too stiff, but now that you mention it, it might have been radius. Or both. If I were looking at that ski today, I would be pretty suspicious because of the turn radius. I bought them without demoing because so many people loved them.
And I'm still skiing my Kikus with a big honkin' grin on my face - today, in fact. :ski:

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is so much love for the Volkl RTM...I demoed them last year...did one run and couldn't wait to get off them...every time I turned, they shot me across the hill...felt like I had no control.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
atomic cloud 10 for me. i really hated them. i felt like i was skiing on paper. they may as well have been my XC skis. light and slippery.

this is good to read all these folk who hate black pearl. i have to demo stuff to see for myself what kind of skis i'd like.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
atomic cloud 10 for me. i really hated them. i felt like i was skiing on paper. they may as well have been my XC skis. light and slippery.

this is good to read all these folk who hate black pearl. i have to demo stuff to see for myself what kind of skis i'd like.

And I love my cloud 11's! Carved up Okemo on them today. Shows why demoing is important

Crr

Diva in Training
Volkl aura . Used to ski the previous 2010 iteration and loved it, then bought the new rocker version and just couldn’t like it. I tried all season and finally sold them, too stiff and I just couldn’t see, to stop them from bucking me around .Still lots of love for volkl though I love the one’s so much I just picked up a second pair in case they fully discontinue it ( it’s now the bash I think), and I love the 108’s . Just got the Atris Birdie and funny enough almost hated it but decided it must be me and gave it another go. So far jury is still out but second try was better and I think I needed to detune the edges as they were hooking a lot at first.

Love this thread btw.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was rereading this thread today and to be fair to the Black Pearls (as well as other skis I haven't liked: Elsyian, Wild Belles) I think the issue for me was ski length. They just didn't come in a short enough length for me. I've yet to meet a ski over 150 that I like and am comfortable on. Sub-150, as long as it's not too short or a pool noodle, I've yet to meet a ski I hated or wouldn't ski. Like K2 skis or my Kastle LX 72s... they're not exciting skis by any stretch, but they're more than serviceable and I'd happily ski them all day. A lot of skis I'll just never really know if I'd like them or not b/c they don't come short enough for me.

lucy

Angel Diva
The worst thing is how hard I tried to like a ski that was really just a bad fit for me. Case in point, the Rossi Savory. Double rocker, fat ski that I saw everywhere on the hill. It was the "It" ski that year. It had to be good... so many people couldn't be wrong. LOL. Now, those skis keep the ski rack nice and warm and they serve as a cautionary tale to buy the skis that are right for me regardless of the prevailing opinions and this year's list of hottest skis.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The worst thing is how hard I tried to like a ski that was really just a bad fit for me. Case in point, the Rossi Savory. Double rocker, fat ski that I saw everywhere on the hill. It was the "It" ski that year. It had to be good... so many people couldn't be wrong. LOL. Now, those skis keep the ski rack nice and warm and they serve as a cautionary tale to buy the skis that are right for me regardless of the prevailing opinions and this year's list of hottest skis.
I almost bought those and then decided on the Saffron 7. Ended up selling those.

Lolabud

Diva in Training
I bought the Santa Ana 93 this year and I’m really struggling to like them. I’ve fallen more times on them than in the last several years combined. I’m not currently having this problem with my groomer or powder skis but my confidence is failing fast.

newboots

Angel Diva
I bought the Santa Ana 93 this year and I’m really struggling to like them. I’ve fallen more times on them than in the last several years combined. I’m not currently having this problem with my groomer or powder skis but my confidence is failing fast.

Ouch! How frustrating. (You've had somebody check them out? A true bar on the bottom, and a tune from an old timer who knows skis really well?)

Seems like the Santa Anas have a few friends and foes on this thread.

Lolabud

Diva in Training
Ouch! How frustrating. (You've had somebody check them out? A true bar on the bottom, and a tune from an old timer who knows skis really well?)

Seems like the Santa Anas have a few friends and foes on this thread.
I didn’t think about trying that since they’re new. Thanks.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Lolabud - If you wander through these forums, you'll find examples of skis that weren't flat, or were in serious need of a tune, right out of the box. My dear BF just got some new Blizzards (his umpteenth pair of Blizzards, but I guess he can never have enough).

They didn't ski right. One ski makes a slightly different arc than the other! There's actually a flaw where the glue is thicker in one area - he said it was a "bad press." The Blizzard rep saw the skis and will replace them. He showed it to me - it takes a sharp eye to spot this. He's been tuning skis professionally for decades, so he has that sharp eye.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna