1. Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.
    Dismiss Notice

Most Hyped Ski You've Hated

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by ski diva, Nov 16, 2016.

1. ski diva

ski diva Administrator Staff Member

The Green Mountain State (Vermont, baby!)
    So here's the flip side to the thread, Least Hyped Ski You've Loved.

Have you ever tried a ski that's received all sorts of accolades, yet you just couldn't feel the love?

For me, it was the (gasp) Black Pearls. I tried them a few years ago, and just couldn't connect.

Of course, your ski choice is your own personal preference. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another, and that's what makes this so interesting.

So what about you?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    echo_NY, newboots, CarolB and 4 others like this.
  2. Skier31

Skier31 Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Rossi E88. So many people, including many instructors I know, love this ski. No chemistry at all.

vanhoskier likes this.
  3. tinymoose

tinymoose Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Black Pearl

CarolB likes this.
  4. badger

badger Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I'm with Ski Diva on this one: Black Pearls. No love at first run...or any subsequent runs. I actually own a pair of these skis that were offered to me for almost nothing, and I still have to say despite my attempts to find the love, have not.

CarolB likes this.
  5. Jilly

Jilly Moderator Staff Member

Yup, Black Pearl.

CarolB likes this.
  6. Christy

Christy Angel Diva

Volkl Aura.

7. Kimmyt

Kimmyt Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Nordica Enforcer (to be fair, it seems no one really likes the Enforcer in a 169 length, the longer lengths seem to be hits)

echo_NY and RuthB like this.
  8. heather matthews

heather matthews Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Volkl Mantra for me.Way too heavy and stiff for my ability at the time (around 5 yrs ago)

nopoleskier likes this.
  9. contesstant

contesstant Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Savory 7. Tried two lengths, just could never feel the love (ie. figure them out!)

SnowHot likes this.
  10. Jilly

Jilly Moderator Staff Member

I got to say that about the Atomic Redster. Could not find the sweet spot.

11. VickiK

VickiK Angel Diva

115mm waisted Salomon Rockette. My short fat legs just could not bend them. They were rentals, so it was a valuable experience.

12. vanhoskier

vanhoskier Angel Diva

I demoed the Experience 88 and didn't like it, either. I had quite a few instructor friends on it who raved about it. I found it to be sort of a one-trick-pony....tip it on edge, and it carved, but it just didn't seem very versatile for its width.

Also, Volkl Mantra. That thing was like skiing on a 2 x 4.

And, Dynastar Cham. I just couldn't make them work, even though the conditions I skied them in were what they were meant for...powder and crud.

13. DeweySki

DeweySki Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Black Pearl and Head Total Joy did not like at all.

Dynastar Cham good enough to ski for an entire day, but feel it's overrated in general and wouldn't recommend.

CarolB and Lmk92 like this.
  14. DeweySki

DeweySki Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Oh I have these and love them! They were a hand-me-down and I was scared of the width at first, but got over that pretty quickly. Have never head them mentioned on the forum before and thought people had forgotten about the Rockette (now called something else?)

15. tjm235

tjm235 Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Didn't 'hate' but very underwhelmed: Kastle MX88 and Rossi Soul 7. They seemed to be universally loved but I found them pretty blah.

16. Olesya Chornoguz

Olesya Chornoguz Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I also demoed and hated Rossignol Experience 88 - they felt so clumsy, not nimble, hard to turn - go figure. Another ski that was pretty popular and I disliked were RTM 84 - too much work even for a big and tall me. :smile: They were probably too stiff in the length I tried (177 cm). I also disliked Blizzard Bonafide - another one that was too much work unless I went at the highest speed I was comfortable with, probably too burly of a ski for me.

I don't hate stiff skis, in fact there are quite a few skis considered stiff/burly that I love. I skied Kenjas for several seasons and love them. I demoed and loved 2015 Volkl Mantra in 177 cm length, they didn't feel like too much work at all, as nimble for me as Kenjas. I think 2015 is the first year Mantra was made full rocker by Volkl, so it may have made the ski more forgiving. I guess it was just something about Bonafide I didn't click with.

17. marzNC

marzNC Angel Diva

Nordica Santa Ana at an Alta demo day in April with spring conditions. Also couldn't get off the Blizzard Cheyenne fast enough at a Massanutten in early Jan.

18. MaineSkiLady

MaineSkiLady Angel Diva

Past:
    Volkl Aura (multiple demo’s, with apologies to its many fans)

Present:
    Volkl Kenja (ditto)

(I did like Yumi and Charisma, though, so it's not an altogether Volkl thing?)

Blizzard Black Pearl (or Bushwacker ) - love/hate. Great in its preferred soft snow element, otherwise tempestuous.

Pequenita and VickiK like this.
  19. LauraVa

LauraVa Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Head Super Joy. Did not do well for me when conditions where super firm. Thought I might lose a filling on frozen corduroy, didn't feel stable on boilerplate. I suspect I was just too heavy for it?

20. MaineSkiLady

MaineSkiLady Angel Diva

Ditto, but the Total Joy model. I was a lightweight at the time (115), so no, it wasn't that. Whatever it was - ouch. :eek:

LauraVa likes this.