• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mini review salomon Lord and K2 Silencer

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the chance to try out these skis on Sunday at an indoor snowdome so I thought some people might be interested to hear about them especially as the Lord is new this year.

The snowdome has a 200m slope with hardpack snow and some looser bits at the edges. There were jumps and rails set up and some of the landings were scraped away so there was some big icy patches as well :(

I am 5ft 9 about 180lbs quite strong. I am comfortable on most slopes on piste in good snow but hate ice :mad:. I started skiing off piste a bit last year and loved the deep snow :yahoo: I would like a longer, fatter ski for off piste but I don't want to struggle on piste. I ski Elan Magfire 10 in 168cm at the moment.

Salomon Lord.

700702.jpg

here's the blurb

The Lord is Fall-Line Magazine’s Ski of the Year, an award won by only the most impressive skis. It’s a freerider that makes all-terrain skiing easier, taking advanced skiers to the next level and adventurous intermediates onto new terrain. Pistes are no problem, powder is a breeze, but where it really shines with balance, smoothness and easy steering is mixed conditions. It uses a 210mm Rocker tip, a small inverse camber at the nose, which improves stability on mixed snow without compromising grip on piste. The core is wood for liveliness and longevity, it has a P-Tex 4000 base for fast gliding and features a semi-twin tail for easy turn release.

* Radius: 17.4m (177cm)
* Sidecut: 128/87/115 (177cm)
* Sizes: 161, 169, 177, 185
* Binding DIN: 3 to 10

I skied this in a 177 and I was surprised how easy it was to ski, I never felt out of control at all. The top of the slope was covered with jumps so you had to ski some icy narrow bits between them and the ski felt fine and good fun on the bits of the slope with lots of loose snow. I would love to try this on a mountain with some proper snow :snow: And its very pretty :love:

K2 Silencer

700721.jpg

The Silencer makes the perfect ski for lighter or younger skiers looking for a twin tipped all-mountain option, as well as novice freestylers looking for their first park ski. It’s light and easy, and equally as important - amazingly good value for money. But just because it’s not expensive doesn’t mean it isn’t well made. K2 use a Torsion Box Construction with a fir wood core, giving the ski good pop and durability, this build is then Capped to increase the toughness without affecting the overall light weight. It has an 80mm waist for versatility, which, with the 17m radius and directional sidecut, offers great stability in all conditions. Hugely popular, and not hard to see why!

Light and easy, intermediate, will handle lots of terrain, cap, standard taper.

Features: Torsion Box Construction, Fir Core.

* Radius: 17m (169cm)
* Sidecut: 113/80/104 (169cm)
* Sizes: 159, 169, 179
* Binding DIN: 3 to 11

Skied in 169cm. My boyfriend got these to try as he wants a ski for park and pipe. I don't do any tricks but they felt nice and light and nimble, quite soft as well. I didn't know the dimensions of these when I skied them but I would have guessed skinnier than 80mm underfoot

This is sooo not the place to try these type of skis but my reasoning was the Lord is supposed to be great off piste so if its also manageable in a tiny, icy, 200m long run then its gonna be a good ski :thumbsup:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice review. Thanks for taking the time.

When I demo'd salomon's last season, I found them to be damp, but responsive.

Jilly

Staff member
I've a friend who skied the "lords" last winter. Nice to know the rep's eh! And he likes it on and off piste. There is a women's version - the Lady.

I've always wanted to ski a snow dome. Not something we have in Canada yet. Bet its better than the plastic!!

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the Lady only goes up to 170cm? If I was going to get a fatter ski I would need longer than that for my height and weight.

Yeah a snowdome is better than plastic but nowhere near as good as being out on the mountain :D . One of the main plus points is that there is a ski shop ( Ellis Brigham) attached to the snowdome which lets you demo skis for free, definitely a bit of a :carrot: though :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly