• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2016-17

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can anyone recommend a specific instructor at Blue, Jack Frost, or Elk? I've had two terrible experiences with lessons so far, and much as I want to progress, I'm not inclined to spend any more money on this without some reasonable confidence that it will be a useful experience. I'm looking for maybe a two-hour lesson with someone attentive, who can diagnose my weaknesses and help me move forward.

(Last year I drew a young guy who positively couldn't be arsed to pretend he was interested in the lesson, and who ignored what I said I wanted to work on. Today the ski school bungled the instructor's schedules, and I waited for 45 minutes for an instructor who was supposedly "on his way." I finally asked for a refund).

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
YES!
Can anyone recommend a specific instructor at Blue, Jack Frost, or Elk? I've had two terrible experiences with lessons so far, and much as I want to progress, I'm not inclined to spend any more money on this without some reasonable confidence that it will be a useful experience. I'm looking for maybe a two-hour lesson with someone attentive, who can diagnose my weaknesses and help me move forward.

(Last year I drew a young guy who positively couldn't be arsed to pretend he was interested in the lesson, and who ignored what I said I wanted to work on. Today the ski school bungled the instructor's schedules, and I waited for 45 minutes for an instructor who was supposedly "on his way." I finally asked for a refund).

YES! There's an instructor at Elk, Gary Smith, he's terrific. Older (just retired from.his 9-5) gentleman, great guy, great skier. He does privates at Elk. Funny story how I met him - he is from my hometown and frequents the bar where I work...but I met.him on a lift at Elk. Anyway, I've skied with him just as friends, and he's been a huge help...really helped me.with moguls....and that was just skiing as friends, without actually asking or expecting his assistance (but it was appreciated!). So I imagine in an actual lesson format, he'd be even better. And I've heard thru others that he gets requested a lot.

Prior to meeting Gary, I had signed up at Elk for a group lesson. Ended up being the only advanced student, so I got another gentleman named Kurt all to myself. He was a great help, and we were both having so much fun that he asked if I wanted to stay out for an extra half hour...so I ended up with a terrific 90 minute private lesson for the cost of an hour group.

If you call Elk, talk to Gary or Curt and tell them Brooke from Wildflowers in Pennington says hi!

Goodluck!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fantastic! Thanks so much! I'll give a call and see if I can book either. A good excuse to visit Elk, too, which I haven't yet been to.
Will report back. Thanks again!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat I am not sure how far Bear Creek is from you, but they have a great ski school. @vanhoskier used to work as a ski instructor there. I took several lessons with Warren and Stu at Bear Creek, they are both great instructors. If you wanted more instructor recommendations, I am sure Vanhoskier could give you several additional options. I haven't taken lessons at JF or Blue. Haven't been to Elk yet, looking forward to going there in January. :smile:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do we have a date for an Elk meet up yet? Also, Olesya, great shot (your profile pic!)!
Thank you! It was taken at Big Sky in 2015, they had a photographer on the slopes who took pics of people skiing and you could view and buy the pics in the lodge later. Yes, the date was set for Elk gathering - it's Jan 28th-29th.
The thread about gathering:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/mid-atlantic-gathering-at-elk.21047/page-2

The date is on the 2nd page. The first page is about trying to figure out the date. :smile:

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I believe they are accurate. I was there last week...was actually going to go today, but decided not to take off work, so made a quick run to CBK instead.

I was hoping things would be 10p%, or close to, open by now still way better than last year.

Yes! Absolutely true! We did go today, and yes, their website is accurate.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Just called Ski Shoppe Ltd. Demo day @whitetail is on, confirmed it's next Friday (Jan. 6th). You can go to their tent to pick up a discounted lift ticket voucher for whole day pass @ $35, then pay at the ticket window.

Also, Jan. 6th is Whitetail's 1st Friday for the woman's day.

Marigee

Angel Diva
I will be there on Friday for Demo Day.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is still better than this time last year (didn't open till January) but it looks to be a typical ski season in the banana belt. Unfortunately the weather hasn't been cooperating. Roundtop has three expert trails open. All they need are snowmaking temps.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Great avatar.. curious where are you skiing in that pic?

Lmk92

Angel Diva
It is still better than this time last year (didn't open till January) but it looks to be a typical ski season in the banana belt. Unfortunately the weather hasn't been cooperating. Roundtop has three expert trails open. All they need are snowmaking temps.

Agreed. Still, Elk has had great snow making temps, and has new snow guns. You'd think they'd be 100% open by now. :(

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking good for me to make it to Whitetail for the Demo Day on Jan. 6. If there are Divas or potential Divas who can't see the meet up thread with the times and places where I'll be looking for people, send me a PM soon. I suggested three (morning, early lunch, after 3:00).

kkMoney

Diva in Training
We just got back from Snowshoe on Monday (1/2) and I think we had probably the best 4 days of the season while we were there. (all of the lifts at Snowshoe were open while we were there, tho Ball Hooter had a mechanical issue one afternoon- but we avoided that anyway due to the lines) It was warm when we left Route 81 up the mountains on 12/28, but that night it started snowing and dropped to 14. Then snowed pretty much on and off until Sunday the 1st. They did a great job blowing the diamonds that didn't have enough while it was snowing, so the mix was pretty good. There was ice the first day we skied, but the snow did a pretty decent job of covering it up over the next few days. I only skied one day on the Western Territories and it was icy and there were too many people that shouldn't be on the diamonds on them. My husband is a Boarder, so he is done in about 2 minutes and I like to actually turn so between stopping to help tweens who have no idea how to get the ski they lost or my own boys who hit a patch of ice, the one open run wasn't worth it for me.

We were staying off the Soaring Eagle Express (ski in/out), so the green there was open and Camp 99 black was actually like skiing a different slope each day with the snowing, the grooming and the blowing- and Boarders making it even more bumpy. everyone in our group did great (we had 8 children ages 3-11) and only my 3 1/2 year old was not skiing when we left- he would be happy to have me ride him down the mountain between my legs (even after 3 days of ski school), but that got old after 2 runs. My friend's husband took him down twice, but he wasn't even trying to stand up;)

I think the resort is still working out kinks of lines, new attendants, etc. but if you skied Western or Soaring Eagle, there were virtually no lines. We also skied one night at Silver Creek (approx. 5 min shuttle) and it was pretty great taking the kids- they didn't want to go back to the townhome! It's all greens and blues and all but one lift was open. My newly minted 5 year old skier did well on almost all of the runs.

Aside from getting to/from the mountain, it was a great trip. Our youngest 2 both had motion sickness in the car on the way up and the way back. . .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly