• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2016-17

dianakate

Angel Diva
We could have crossed each other on the slopes!

We probably did! I took a GoPro video on Timber trail yesterday morning and we pass a bunch of people taking lessons, maybe you're in there! That's my daughter in front of me. I decided to try using the handheld stick instead of on the helmet, so it gets a little shaky towards the end. Also the video makes it look way more overcast than it was.

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
You did get me!! hahaha.

I'm right there at 01:30! You got my instructor too! Loved her! She got my confidence way up.

Did you notice the gravel at the end of the run?

dianakate

Angel Diva
That is too funny - small world! I saw a few little rocks here and there, but nothing major. Gravel on the trail was a major feature of last year's epic non-snow season. I have video from Canaan and also at Okemo from last year where there were dirt pits right in the middle of the trail. My bases took a beating for sure! This year will be much better!

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
That is too funny - small world! I saw a few little rocks here and there, but nothing major. Gravel on the trail was a major feature of last year's epic non-snow season. I have video from Canaan and also at Okemo from last year where there were dirt pits right in the middle of the trail. My bases took a beating for sure! This year will be much better!

How do you like Okemo?
We went to Killington during Thanksgiving and I wanted to visit Okemo in March for the women's clinic but I'll have to wait until 2018.

I need to win the lottery so I have endless cash for skiing!

dianakate

Angel Diva
I like it very well. My family went there a couple of years ago between Christmas and New Years and had fun, including the 1 non-skier (mountain coaster, waffle hut, ice skating, pool). My skiing daughter and I went back last March for a last minute spring break trip because we got an excellent deal and we were familiar with the resort. We lucked out and had 2 snowy days and 1 good day and had a blast even though many trails weren't open. The day it rained we took a road trip to Ben & Jerry's. They have excellent snow making and nice variety of trails, I recommend it! It is @ski diva 's home mountain so I'm sure she could fill you in better than I! I would like to do the women's clinic as well, I look at that every year...

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I like it very well. My family went there a couple of years ago between Christmas and New Years and had fun, including the 1 non-skier (mountain coaster, waffle hut, ice skating, pool). My skiing daughter and I went back last March for a last minute spring break trip because we got an excellent deal and we were familiar with the resort. We lucked out and had 2 snowy days and 1 good day and had a blast even though many trails weren't open. The day it rained we took a road trip to Ben & Jerry's. They have excellent snow making and nice variety of trails, I recommend it! It is @ski diva 's home mountain so I'm sure she could fill you in better than I! I would like to do the women's clinic as well, I look at that every year...

I've done the WAA (Women's Alpine Adventures) Program several times and loved it. I did decide that two days was too short, so aim for 3 or 5, if you can afford it. Though I live 1,000 miles away, I buy the early season weekday pass for Okemo because it's such a great mountain with much variety and a great friendly feel, even though I only get there for three weeks towards the end of the season.

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jack Frost, Montage, and Blue were all blowing snow last night!

Montage and Blue open tomorrow.
Haven't decided where I'm going. Blue is slightly closer, $30 til 6, $20 for night ski.
Montage is $15 all day but they haven't posted available terrain .
Will you be taking a sick day?
Tried to convince a friend to.go to Hunter with me, they've got a lot open, but we decided to conserve the cash for when they're fully open...have yet to experience the backside and infamous Anna Purna.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Montage and Blue open tomorrow.
Haven't decided where I'm going. Blue is slightly closer, $30 til 6, $20 for night ski.
Montage is $15 all day but they haven't posted available terrain .
Will you be taking a sick day?
Tried to convince a friend to.go to Hunter with me, they've got a lot open, but we decided to conserve the cash for when they're fully open...have yet to experience the backside and infamous Anna Purna.

Noooo, no sick day for me. Have meetings at work tomorrow I have to be there for.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone have updates on demo day at White Tail in Jan.? Checked their website but didn't see anything. (They do list a women's clinic on Jan. 6 though.)

Curious about how WT demo days are compared to Massanutten. @Marigee @marzNC @alison wong

Don't think I will be able to get to Mnut demo day if it is MLK weekend. :(

alison wong

Angel Diva
@va_deb I just checked Ski Shoppe Ltd website, no mentioning of WT demo day yet on Jan 6th. So I am not sure what's going on either.
I think @marzNC mentioned M'nut demo day will be on Jan. 7th &8th. I will be going to that.

Tomorrow I will be hitting WT w/ my friend. It will be the first bash of the season!
BTW, tomorrow is their (Liberty, WT and RT) last day for $10/ group lesson. If anyone is interested.....

Marigee

Angel Diva
@va_deb, The Ski Shoppe in Reistertown, MD will be sponsoring a demo day at Whitetail on 1/6/17. Should have a good selection. The people who own The Ski Shoppe are former employees of The Ski Center in DC (which closed last spring.) They will probably not have tons of skis in women's smaller sizes. But that is pretty much par for the course when it comes to Demo Days. I will be working Thursday night, 1/5/17, so will probably stay over just to demo some things.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@va_deb, The Ski Shoppe in Reistertown, MD will be sponsoring a demo day at Whitetail on 1/6/17. Should have a good selection. The people who own The Ski Shoppe are former employees of The Ski Center in DC (which closed last spring.) They will probably not have tons of skis in women's smaller sizes. But that is pretty much par for the course when it comes to Demo Days. I will be working Thursday night, 1/5/17, so will probably stay over just to demo some things.

Thanks, Mary! Any idea what hours they'll do the demos? Work is going to be little busy then and if I can take off at all I will need to work a half day. Is there a decent lodge with wifi just in case?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Obviously there's another Roundtop; The one I skied at as a teen near Ludlow, VT is not currently in operation, public or private...
In fact, there was a Diva meetup at Roundtop near Harrisburg, PA a few years ago. It's one of the Snowtime trio (Liberty, Whitetail, Roundtop) popular with folks who live in the DC/Baltimore area. It's a fun little hill with decent variety in the terrain, including a short (Mid-Atlantic short) steep pitch and trails that are allowed to bump up. @AltaEgo lives close by and is an instructor at Roundtop.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those who are wondering, the demo days at Whitetail and Massanutten in early Jan are very different. Whitetail is one mid-week day (Friday) where brand reps set up tents. The list of brands was broader than I expected when I went for the first time in Jan 2016. I didn't have time to try out all the skis that were about the right length for a petite advanced (or intermediate) skier. In the past, I knew from DCSki that a voucher for a discounted lift ticket could be found. When I went, I asked around and went to the table of a sponsoring ski shop BEFORE going to the ticket window to buy a day ticket. Don't know if the Ski Shoppe is doing that or not.

Assuming snow conditions are decent, the Whitetail demo day is worth paying for a day ticket in any case. Last year only a couple blues were open and visibility was poor due to fog and clouds. But that meant most people left by lunch time. I checked out several skis after lunch, including the Stockli Laser SC.

The Massanutten demo weekend is only one tent by Freestyle of Charlottesville. Freestyle is a pretty good ski shop that also has a shop at Wintergreen. They several demo weekends at Wintergreen during holiday periods.

Don of Freestyle has learned to bring shorter women's skis. As well as unisex skis for tall women like @Olesya Chornoguz .

TR about Jan 2015 Demo Day at Massanutten

Marigee

Angel Diva
Thanks, Mary! Any idea what hours they'll do the demos? Work is going to be little busy then and if I can take off at all I will need to work a half day. Is there a decent lodge with wifi just in case?
Demo Day usually starts around 9:00 AM and the reps start taking down the tents around 3:00 PM. Usually you have to give them an ID to hold while you are trying out skis. You could call The Ski Shoppe and ask if they are offering discounted lift tickets.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Does anyone know if Elk's current (Dec 28) conditions report is accurate? I can't believe so many black diamonds aren't open yet, but they're still charging holiday rates?

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if Elk's current (Dec 28) conditions report is accurate? I can't believe so many black diamonds aren't open yet, but they're still charging holiday rates?

I believe they are accurate. I was there last week...was actually going to go today, but decided not to take off work, so made a quick run to CBK instead.

I was hoping things would be 10p%, or close to, open by now still way better than last year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna