• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

*Loved* the Head Absolute Joy

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From what I've heard, there is no middle ground on the newish Head Joy series introduced in 2015 for the 2016 season. Many women here either loved or hated them. I was surprised and thrilled to find myself in the *looooove* camp after an impromptu demo.

About me:
5’1″, 136 lbs; cautious intermediate
Normally ski: Mid-Atlantic Virginia or West Virginia; usually go out west once a season
Where I demoed the Absolute Joys: Wisp Resort in McHenry, MD

Testing conditions:
Wisp had rare East Coast powder the last weekend in January. Cold temps in the teens and windy, with powder on top of boilerplate and snow forecasted for most of the day Sunday when we were thre. I wasn't sure if I would be able to make an actual demo day this season and decided to try to find a wider ski for the powder, piles, chop, crud and scraped-down/blown off hardpack.

My Elan Twilights in 159 (128-84-110) were already bucking me a bit in some of the chop and crud by late morning. I was hoping for a wider-waisted ski, but the Joy was the only ski they had left for a decent demo price. I debated aloud about not getting them since I wanted a wider waist, but the young woman in the demo shop said she loved them and the shovels and rocker were good for a few inches of powder, and she hoped I would love them too.

The skis:
Head Absolute Joy 153 mm, 129-79-109
Construction description: Graphene Women's Camber, ERA 3.0 Super Light Weight Distribution Power Sidewall Jacket Superlite Composite Core Highly transparent UHM base Allride Rocker

Conditions and how they did:
FYI, these skis are so light they almost seemed comically light --and the tips seemed so wide. I was disappointed they didn't have them in the 158, but I did fine on the 153s. In fact, there were a few occasions where my tips almost crossed here and there so I was glad I didn't go longer in them my first time out.

It was an ideal demo day with so many different conditions. Since it was super-crowded I got to put them through their paces even more than I usually would.

There was 2 - 3 inches of fresh powder that became blown-off hardpack and ice in many places, and lots of snowboarders and skiers were out taking advantage of our rare powder day. In addition to the powder there was chop, crud, icy spots, death cookies mixed in here and there, the occasional bump, plus dust on crust and dust on ice. In spite of the powder, they chose to blow snow on some parts of the mountain to get a better base since the temps in the Mid-A states have been unusually high for a month or so.

I tried them in everything from the fabulous grin-inducing powder to the icy, choppy, cruddy, windblown, dust on crust nastiness, including in almost whiteout conditions between real snow and snow guns. In short, the Absolute Joys made this cautious intermediate feel like a hero.

They loved the fresh powder, cruised over or through the crud and chop, and handled the ice and hardpack no problem. Best of all, they gave me confidence, even on an unfamiliar mountain where dodging folks who bit off more hill than they should have (on both green and blue runs) ended up being a constant.

The Absolute Joys were absolutely smooth and stable, and just plain fun. They loved doing short and medium smeared turns, and I loved that they made me feel like a better skier. Didn't test them on blacks or significant steeps, but some of the blues and greens were pitchy in places and several longer greens skied more like blues on some other Mid-A mountains.

I don't do bumps per se, but it was bumpy here and there due to wind and the conditions. I was going faster than usual and ended up unintentionally catching some air on several bumps and staying up on them, thankfully. They were that stable.

On some of the steeper runs I would normally have pulled over to the side had I been on other skis to wait until I had room to make longer radius turns and go down more slowly, but I told myself to trust the Joys. They rocked it.

Agree that it would be ideal to demo these before buying since some ladies haven't loved the Joys. My experience made me want to ski every one of the intermediate to advanced Joy skis just for comparative purposes. I will be keeping an eye out to see if I can test again in the different lengths on ice or in slush, and may just pull the trigger if I find a good deal.

Cheers to more Joy-ful skiing!

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
P.S. In fairness to my Elan Twilights, part of my issue getting tossed around and not feeling as comfortable could have been boot-related. I think they packed out more than usual or were too wide for me to begin with. After I tightened the bottom buckle over the forefoot that helped, although my bootfitter told me that I shouldn't have to do that. I'll be visiting him before I go back out on the hill.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought I liked my Elan Pure Magic well enough- but then I picked up a pair of Absolute Joy on a whim, and there's no going back. I did get my Elans tuned in the mean time, to see if that was part of it, but now I am trying to decide if I should sell the Elans or keep them as a back up.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@diymom Glad you love them too! How are they on ice and hardpack for you? Are the Elan Pure Magics more of a beginner ski? How close are your Elans to the Absolute Joy in terms of waist width, length, construction, etc.?

@marzNC, how are the A-Joys in spring or afternoon slush?

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, did you buy them?!
It's so fun to find that "magic" ski.

They were definitely magic in those conditions! Haven't pulled the trigger yet, although I'm very tempted.

I'd like to demo them in the 158, plus try another in the Joy line, and try some K2s and a Nordica just to compare a few more -- hopefully in more typical conditions. The not so practical side of me also wants to demo the Renoun that @ski diva reviewed.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find they hold nicely on eastern conditions. The Elan Pure Magic (2011) was billed as an all-mountain for advanced intermediate and I kind of jumped into them blindly when I decided it was time to upgrade from my Head Lite Thang beginner skis- and was hoping that even if it was more advanced than I needed, I would learn to ski it. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the Elans, but when I ski them I have a tendency to avoid piles, crud, etc. On the Absolut Joy I usually go through it all without thinking too much about it. Haven't really stopped to analyze why yet though, maybe the tip rocker? And I love how light the Joys are. Fairly similar stats- 123-78-105 with an 11.8 R for the Elan (152 cm). 128-79-108 and a 12.7 R for the Joy (158 cm). Construction- very different. Elan is wood core, side wall, some titanium in the edges I think. Never did fully understand what the "wave flex" is all about. Joy is composite core, cap construction, and graphene.

Kind of jumped into the Absolut Joy too (slow learner I guess) but am glad I did.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@diymom

@marzNC, how are the A-Joys in spring or afternoon slush?
Rarely ski the Absolut Joy in spring conditions. I'm usually at Alta in late season and don't bother to bring the AJs. Although I guess I've skied the AJs in spring condition snow during a Jan thaw. For me, they were fine. However, my technique is pretty solid at this point in any sort of snow . . . except northeast ice.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got mine a few weeks ago, so no slush to contend with yet. My technique, on the other hand, leaves something to be desired.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna