• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lessons learned this season...

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely a weird, traumatic, sad, but also good in some ways season for me. I spent a lot of time in Ohio because my father was ill, and he passed in March. But with the full support of my family, we still went to Breck in February for 5 days, and had a great time. I also arrived home to a big snowstorm, and went from Ohio to MRG, my happy place, which soothed me when I needed it most.

In terms of skiing, I learned that I should have spent a lot more time honing my parallel skiing much earlier than I have--it directly translates to being better at tele. Plus it's fun! I've become a much better parallel skier, and have vastly improved my p-turns in bumps and trees. I've also learned that I am really a visual learner--skiing behind someone doing what I need to be doing is a big help. I also learned upper/lower body separation doing p-turns, something I do quite naturally in tele, but not doing p-turns. I'm not ready for the season to end!

newboots

Angel Diva
I learned that life events that are highly stressful can have a profound negative impact on your skiing :frown:
My divorce, which started last April, has caused me so much stress that it carried over into my skiing this season. I was defensive, and fearful. I DID improve my skills in crud and powder, because it's hard to NOT have fun and forget everything in powder.

It's been a weird ski season for me too--weather, illness, timing. Life feels like a mogul run that is just past my level. I guess I'm learning (ongoing) to tap into deeper reserves of patience. Maybe?

I took PTO on Friday. Woke up out of sorts and kind of weepy even as walking to the slopes. This was a SUBTLE HINT from my body that I didn't need to be skiing that day. It took me a few miserable runs to get the message.

Definitely a weird, traumatic, sad, but also good in some ways season for me. I spent a lot of time in Ohio because my father was ill, and he passed in March. But with the full support of my family, we still went to Breck in February for 5 days, and had a great time. I also arrived home to a big snowstorm, and went from Ohio to MRG, my happy place, which soothed me when I needed it most.

So much Life going on. My thoughts are with all of you who have been struggling this year!

Since I first grew interested in skiing, this fall, I have been surprised to read so much about the spiritual aspects the sport holds for many people. Skiing as metaphor, skiing as healing, skiing as barometer...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since I dove back into this thread, and realized how much my life events have had a negative impact this winter, I decided ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! Only a few days left of this season, but it's time to get the joy back again! I've had three incredibly fun, joyful days on the mountain this week, and we have a HUGE winter storm moving in this weekend! The Santa Anas will get to come out and play!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Powgirl so sorry to hear you lost your son!! Glad skiing helped you thru...
@contesstant YOU LUCKY GIRL>. SKI ON!!
@VickiK Hope the coming months are Easy ones!!

To all the rest that had trials and hard times it's nice to read Skiing has helped you thru..

Skiing is what I live for and now going into my SAAD disorder it's raining and YUK in Upstate NY.. Hoping winter comes fast this fall..

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Powgirl so sorry to hear you lost your son!! Glad skiing helped you thru...
@contesstant YOU LUCKY GIRL>. SKI ON!!
@VickiK Hope the coming months are Easy ones!!

To all the rest that had trials and hard times it's nice to read Skiing has helped you thru..

Skiing is what I live for and now going into my SAAD disorder it's raining and YUK in Upstate NY.. Hoping winter comes fast this fall..
Yeah, in all honesty, I can't imagine what my winter would have been like WITHOUT skiing! I met TONS of people, made some really neat new friends, and it got me out of the house.
I hear ya on the SAD thing. I get it in March living here--used to be in Jan and Feb in other locations.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SAD is one reason I won't move back to the mid Atlantic.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On the VERY LAST DAY of my season, one of my ski buddies showed me a drill from the racing side of things that revolutionized my skiing. Yes, I did take a swing at him for waiting till the last day. It will be the first drill I do next year on the first day of the season. I wish I could find a video of it, 'cause I doubt I could aptly explain it; very counter-intuitive on paper.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ski season was pretty mediocre this year. I feel a bit cheated. I missed a lot of the epic snow we had in January because I was sick and I've learned the hard way that pushing through and skiing anyway always ends up biting me back and generally doubles the length of my illness.

Then I started a new job that ate up lots of time and wasn't as open to my flex schedule as they led me to believe, so I just didn't make it up to the mountain much this year. Then they fired me 1 1/2 weeks ago, just as the season is ending, of course.

The days that I made it up were okay, just - not enough. I'm bitter that I sacrificed my season and the job still didn't work out!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
On the VERY LAST DAY of my season, one of my ski buddies showed me a drill from the racing side of things that revolutionized my skiing. Yes, I did take a swing at him for waiting till the last day. It will be the first drill I do next year on the first day of the season. I wish I could find a video of it, 'cause I doubt I could aptly explain it; very counter-intuitive on paper.

Give us a hint?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Then I started a new job that ate up lots of time and wasn't as open to my flex schedule as they led me to believe, so I just didn't make it up to the mountain much this year. Then they fired me 1 1/2 weeks ago, just as the season is ending, of course.

Ugh! I'm sorry you were fired. That's miserable no matter what the situation.

newboots

Angel Diva

The days that I made it up were okay, just - not enough. I'm bitter that I sacrificed my season and the job still didn't work out!

Bad job boss! Use you up during ski season and let you go at the end, how rude! You deserve a trip to Mammoth or wherever they are skiing till July.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hang in there, @just jane . That's just sucky. You're smart on the decision to not push it to ski when sick. It's just that that sucks too. Good luck.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ski season was pretty mediocre this year. I feel a bit cheated. I missed a lot of the epic snow we had in January because I was sick and I've learned the hard way that pushing through and skiing anyway always ends up biting me back and generally doubles the length of my illness.

The days that I made it up were okay, just - not enough. I'm bitter that I sacrificed my season and the job still didn't work out![/QUOT

that really sucks. I also had a spotty year due to work/travel, several viral infections and missed some powder days. It's life I guess. Don't be bitter----just start planning for a better next season!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Obviously I don't spend a lot of time on the forum lately, I can't even post a reply without a glitch!

repost:

that really sucks. I also had a spotty year due to work/travel, several viral infections and missed some powder days. It's life I guess. Don't be bitter----just start planning for a better next season!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2017 Lessons:

My YUGE investment in updated---costly---custom-fit boots was worth every penny. It changed the way I ski.

Eastern/VT ice does wonders for my carving---somehow in Utah, I just pretend carve and find my way to trees and soft snow. Thanks to Diva Week Stowe, I could not fake carve, I had to pull it all together and get on it. Now I know why Eastern skiers have good form. It's either ski right or go home!

Sometimes life gets in the way of skiing and that is sad, and accepting that takes some work. It made me appreciate the days that I did get to ski even more though.

Nordic skiing in the wilderness is growing on me and I am lucky to have had some awesome adventures on skinny skis this season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I experimented with slightly shorter poles and decided I like shorter. Seemed to make more sense after skiing a bunch of bump runs at Taos. My Alta instructor agreed that shorter made sense for the off-piste terrain that I can enjoy these days. Shifted from about 41-42 inches 40 inches.

My original poles bought in the early 1980s were 44 inches, but I cut those down to 42 inches several years ago. (I'm 5'0".)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I experimented with slightly shorter poles and decided I like shorter. Seemed to make more sense after skiing a bunch of bump runs at Taos. My Alta instructor agreed that shorter made sense for the off-piste terrain that I can enjoy these days. Shifted from about 41-42 inches 40 inches.

My original poles bought in the early 1980s were 44 inches, but I cut those down to 42 inches several years ago. (I'm 5'0".)
I experimented with shorter poles on my Euro trip this season. I have had 44" for years - as long as I can remember. So I tried 42" and at first they felt really short. Then I got used to them and liked them in bumps and ungroomed. (I'm 5'1")

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Lesson learned: make sure demos DIN setting is correct and bindings are checked for release, etc.
Do not get Attack 13's. Not the binding for me 5'1 - 103 ish.

SkiBam

Angel Diva

Agree with shorter poles. I think the standard guideline of your arm making a 90 degree angle when you hold the pole means poles that are too long - for me anyway. I had mine cut down a bit (no idea how long they are) and encouraged a friend to do the same - made a big difference. I had to "override" the guy in the shop who insisted our poles were the right length.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna