• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lessons learned this season...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After spending a morning and lunch with a group of friends at Alta, I sometimes like to finish up the day skiing solo.

DH often likes to split off at the end of the day and do a few groomer zoomer runs by himself. Hey, they're good for quite a vert bump, if you're into tracking your stats!

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought I would revisit this thread...I have a couple of ski days next week, then most likely done for the season...and, I'm not ready...I only got about 25 days in this year...and craving more!

First, I had the most fun this year...tho, I started off rocky...very rocky...my first week of the season (Thanksgiving), I was not able to ski the WROD at Copper...I froze up pretty bad...I was having alot of trouble with my Black Pearls...after demoing a couple of skis, I ended up with my K2s...and never looked back.

I didn't make it to an officially labeled black run, tho I skied some black/blue runs that were much steeper, and more difficult terrain than I had ever skied....I spent a glorious day over in Mary Jane, which I've always wanted to do.

I worked with everything on my list last year...I got better in bumps...my turns were more patient...I actually carved some railroad tracks...my technique in icy conditions improved dramatically. I worked on rotation, keeping my upper body more downhill and quiet (er).

The biggest lesson for me this season was to not fear the fall line...I would visualize the 'snot drip', getting out in front of my skis, finishing my turns and enjoying the fall line feeling instead of fearing it. I would say, in general, my fear factor diminished greatly this year...which makes skiing much more fun!

I also learned to stop trying to fit myself with boots...the Full Tilts did not work out...and, I am waiting for the recommended boot to go on sale.

My 5th season was a bit abbreviated, but it was a great one!

newboots

Angel Diva
What a great thread, @Powgirl !

I have a long list. Here are a couple of highlights:

Pre-season: I learned how to put on my boots.

Early season: I learned there was an awful lot to learn, much more than I had imagined.

Mid season: I decided to quit pushing for a bit, and "just ski" for awhile. The improvement slowed, but I had a lot of fun.

Late season: I skied again with someone who pushes my limits, and successfully navigated new, challenging blues and a bit of black.

Pretty proud of myself (yay!), and discovering the pain of ski season ending (boo!).

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
What a great thread, @Powgirl !

I have a long list. Here are a couple of highlights:

Pre-season: I learned how to put on my boots.

Early season: I learned there was an awful lot to learn, much more than I had imagined.

Mid season: I decided to quit pushing for a bit, and "just ski" for awhile. The improvement slowed, but I had a lot of fun.

Late season: I skied again with someone who pushes my limits, and successfully navigated new, challenging blues and a bit of black.

Pretty proud of myself (yay!), and discovering the pain of ski season ending (boo!).
And didn't you meet your new man skiing?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh fun!

Big takeaway from race clinic this year (for me) was to focus on not dropping my inside shoulder (see my avatar for a perfect example!). I especially do it on my right turns more so than my left.

Gotta fix this before next year or the coach will have me working the same thing next year until I fix it! Lol

Jilly

Staff member
I thought I would revisit this thread...I have a couple of ski days next week, then most likely done for the season...and, I'm not ready...I only got about 25 days in this year...and craving more!

First, I had the most fun this year...tho, I started off rocky...very rocky...my first week of the season (Thanksgiving), I was not able to ski the WROD at Copper...I froze up pretty bad...I was having alot of trouble with my Black Pearls...after demoing a couple of skis, I ended up with my K2s...and never looked back.

I didn't make it to an officially labeled black run, tho I skied some black/blue runs that were much steeper, and more difficult terrain than I had ever skied....I spent a glorious day over in Mary Jane, which I've always wanted to do.

I worked with everything on my list last year...I got better in bumps...my turns were more patient...I actually carved some railroad tracks...my technique in icy conditions improved dramatically. I worked on rotation, keeping my upper body more downhill and quiet (er).

The biggest lesson for me this season was to not fear the fall line...I would visualize the 'snot drip', getting out in front of my skis, finishing my turns and enjoying the fall line feeling instead of fearing it. I would say, in general, my fear factor diminished greatly this year...which makes skiing much more fun!

I also learned to stop trying to fit myself with boots...the Full Tilts did not work out...and, I am waiting for the recommended boot to go on sale.

My 5th season was a bit abbreviated, but it was a great one!

[email protected] and headlights!!

captain_hug99

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went so far this year! My daughter and I had about 10 days in and what a difference it has made. I am proud to say, I am officially off the bunny hill (carpet type lift) and use the chair only. Also, I've tested myself by going down some harder greens.

I've also gained quite a bit of speed. I'm hitting over 25mph, but my average speed is so much better, over 12mph instead of 5. LOL

My 13-year-old is now on blues and just craves going more and more often.

newboots

Angel Diva
<snip>I am proud to say, I am officially off the bunny hill (carpet type lift) and use the chair only. Also, I've tested myself by going down some harder greens.

I've also gained quite a bit of speed. I'm hitting over 25mph, but my average speed is so much better, over 12mph instead of 5. LOL

Making progress - it's a great feeling, isn't it? Sounds like you are making great gains. My daughter isn't out here to overtake me! If I can really get her skiing I won't mind it. I just think about standing at the top of a brand new trail at Killington Sunday, thinking, "This used to scare me." I wasn't scared. I knew it would be fun.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My two main lessons learned this year-- don't let life get in the way of skiing again. I need to take care of myself as well as my family, and time on the hill is part of taking care of myself. And the second lesson-- I need to take lessons. My head gets in the way too much. More lessons= more skills= more confidence= more fun. So next year I will not only make time to ski, but make time for lessons too.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I didn't go back to see what I thought I learned last season, but I'm willing to bet it had something to do with lessons...which I didn't do this year. I advanced more than I thought, but I really, really, really need a lesson! Reading through a lot of threads here has helped tremendously, but my confidence is still low, and I know taking a few lessons will help with technique, which will boost confidence. My goal for next season is to start as early as possible (December would be nice) and get at least one lesson and some practice in before heading out with the kids.

SkiBam

Angel Diva

Yes indeed!

In case this isn't clear. "Headlights" = shoulders (headlights) shining in the direction you're going - ie. not UP the hill. And "Snot" = aiming to have the dripping snot fall toward your front downhill binding, even downhill of it. I taught a class of advanced beginners this year and rather than confuse them with too much stuff, I focused on these two things, which I think do a lot: get the upper body facing more downhill, get the weight on the downhill ski, and keep the weight forward enough. So there I was, standing on the hill shouting "Headlights" and "Snot" at the top of my lungs - what must people have thought!!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lots of 'loosey goosey' runs for me - that is, keeping my feet and legs relaxed; I was scrunching up my toes when I was out of my comfort zone. Figured out last year that skiing in powder and crud is much more fun if you let the skis do most of the work (ie guide don't control), and this year managed to do this at faster speeds and in the glades.

Ursula's video on getting the weight forward and the difference between weight and pressure was a big help to me, not to mention a friend who came over to ski with us.

And that my husband is right - I can jump of small features and land them, I just need to believe in myself a bit more.

@Lmk92 - same here, need to get at least one lesson next season. I said I'd do it this season but ...

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This was a my third ski season and I feel like I really learned a lot. I took a few lessons which helped me. Here are my top lessons:

1) Before my skis were not moving together when I did my turns because I wasn't doing the weight transfer properly. By working with the instructor I was able to correct that and my skis stay together throughout the turn. As a consequence I have become much stronger on steeper runs. Before I was really struggling on black diamonds but now I am at ease on them and have even started skiing double blacks.

2) Stay relaxed when skiing on ice. I used to tense up and it made me more unsteady on ice patches. Now that I relax I handle them much better.

3) It is easier to get your technique right when you have a little speed going for you. Before I was always cautious when doing new stuff and would go at a snail's pace. I found that if I went a little faster I had a much easier time getting my technique right.

4) I also started learning moguls and glades this season but I didn't get much of an opportunity to practice these skills so I still need a lot of work. My goal for next season will be to work on these areas.

Needless to say I am very happy with the season I had and since my skiing improved so much I enjoy the sport even more than I did before.

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
Lessons learned during my first committed season on skis (committed this year because I have skied a couple times before, but that was just to test the waters of the sport, and now I hope I'm in it for the long haul)...All this is pretty philosophical so far since I'm so new and have just begun to taste the technical aspects of skiing I have to look forward to over the seasons to come.

1) Never sell your skills short when challenged appropriately, and a good instructor will push you just beyond your level of comfort to help you learn something new without terrifying you. When I achieved open parallel turns (long, medium, and short!) this season on some of the steeper green terrain at a new-to-me hill, it felt like a whole different world opened up.

2) Likewise, a compassionate instructor understands a why a new skier may have fear, but helps you get over that f-word and keep undue anxiety at bay so you may continue to progress and experience the joys of gliding and turning down the mountain.

3) Articulating what you want to get out of your lesson and hopefully learn that day is essential for maximizing your skill development. I come prepared with an index card and a brief bullet list that I keep in my jacket pocket.

4) With control comes speed, and sometimes with speed comes control.

5) Making more challenging terrain "shallower" and easier terrain "steeper" helps build confidence.

6) Even if you had what you think is a bad ski day for you, you've still learned something. If you walk to your car on two feet with all your body parts intact, whatever went wrong that day is fixable. The mountain will still be there to welcome you back.

7) Do apres. Whether it's a beer for you or a plate of warm chocolate chip cookies with your sweetie, do apres.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. All snow offers opportunities for learning, so boot up and make the most of it, even when it's cornstarch-over-ice.

2. I learned the importance of actively "popping" when hitting a jump.

3. If it's not crowded, listening to music while skiing is really fun.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I learned that life events that are highly stressful can have a profound negative impact on your skiing :frown:
My divorce, which started last April, has caused me so much stress that it carried over into my skiing this season. I was defensive, and fearful. I DID improve my skills in crud and powder, because it's hard to NOT have fun and forget everything in powder.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I learned that life events that are highly stressful can have a profound negative impact on your skiing :frown:

Yeah, I've had a really hard time at work this year, which is a totally new experience (just lots of leadership changes and some big cultural shifts). I'd hoped skiing would be an escape that would help me be more positive and invigorated at work. Turned out that much of the time work anxiety intruded on the skiing. I would be skiing and then just be overcome with sadness and end up cutting the day short, the wind taken out of my sails. Then I'd be mad at myself for letting that happen. But it didn't happen too often, and beer and music certainly helped!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took PTO on Friday. Woke up out of sorts and kind of weepy even as walking to the slopes. This was a SUBTLE HINT from my body that I didn't need to be skiing that day. It took me a few miserable runs to get the message.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna