• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lessons learned this season...

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Hi @TeleChica . :smile:

Believe me - you are not alone in your frustrations with PSIA. But the fundamentals that PSIA advocates are sound and worth incorporating into your skiing.

Do you remember any specifics of the feedback you got?

Sounds like you are rocking the terrain you enjoy, so what was your goal for the clinic ?

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another big lesson of the season? Conditions are challenging? Go ski! Take your time, work on turn shape, stay balanced. Poor visibility and challenging snow make one a better skier. You need to be able to handle anything. Ski the hard stuff enough, it makes the easy stuff a WHOLE lot more fun!
Yes! There is so much YES in your post, but this is the one that stuck out for me and something I focused on all season.

Wrapping up my 5th season with 40 days and possibly a few more. I also hit 100 total lifetime days skiing a few weeks ago. My mantra all year, was, "Try new things and in new conditions." I am EXHAUSTED. <I also started a new job; this may have contributed :smile:> Pushing myself every weekend was tiring, but so so worth it. We have so much acreage at my two home mountains (Heavenly and Kirkwood), and I feel like 80% of it off-piste, in the trees, or after a long, kind of sketch traverse. But that's where all the goods are! A few other things...

-A former racing coach told me, "People only get injured when they turn," i.e., keep those skis pointed down hill! I can be kind of a thrasher of short turns, so I'm working on longer turns that cover as much vert as possible. I also worked on speed in general, realizing it can really be my friend in the Sierra Cement.

-It's okay to go back to basics. And it's okay if progress comes in fits and spurts (and sometimes goes backwards). I was making solid progress at the end of last season but then lost my mojo in the middle of a big 9 day ski trip through Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming. It was like I forgot how to ski. I decided, screw it, I'm just going to take a bunch of lessons till I get it back. I spent some time rolling my eyes at the drills I've done before (patience turns, picture frame with the polls, etc.), but it totally worked.

-Women skiers are amazing!! I took a two-day women's clinic at Kirkwood this year and was just blown away by the support and camaraderie. It was on a weekend we got 10" of fresh the first day and 15" the next day, so we were all kind of flailing. But our instructor took us on this crazy run we never would have done ourselves. Ran into one woman from my group this weekend, and after I reminded her about our clinic, she was like, "Oh yeah! The day we did Notch Chute!" It was obviously a big day for everyone. The women on this forum have also been incredibly supportive. I had some very stressful/dark times with the new job where I thought I made a terrible decision, like, what-am-I-doing-with-my-life kind of days. I knew I could just come to the forum, start reading, and be reminded that there are amazing, helpful people out there who all feel very passionately about skiing and are always willing to pull you out of the rut and get you back on the hill.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @TeleChica . :smile:

Believe me - you are not alone in your frustrations with PSIA. But the fundamentals that PSIA advocates are sound and worth incorporating into your skiing.

Do you remember any specifics of the feedback you got?

Sounds like you are rocking the terrain you enjoy, so what was your goal for the clinic ?

@Skisailor I completely agree, but it doesn't make it less painful--LOL! I passed my Level 1 Nordic Downhill 3 or 4 years ago, and was told at the time that I skied at a Level 2 but taught at a Level 1.5 (which wasn't a surprise since I had not done that much teaching).

Part of the issue was that this "clinic" was more like an end of the year celebration, and most of the people there just wanted to free ski. So while I got some very valuable feedback on my skiing (more on that in a bit), most of what we did was ski wicked fast all over the mountain.

The feedback I got was mainly that I need to edge change before lead change, so I was working on patience turns or delayed lead change or whatever you want to call them. But it never stopped feeling awkward, and I kept hearing that I needed to do it more and sooner in the turn, but I had no idea how. We did the snot dripping thing too, which I really liked a lot, but found it hard to do both at the same time. Also, I honestly can't tell when I'm doing my edge changes--and the delayed lead change business always makes me fearful of catching an inside edge--which I did at one point, taking a really hard fall. That is the one type of fall that just freaks me out--too much of a chance of really messing yourself up.

I think what also got me is that one of the examiners said something like, "Hey you skied some pretty intimidating steep stuff, good job." And I just looked at him in horror, because it seemed clear that he thought I hadn't been skiing that long or something. I've been tele skiing for almost 20 years. There wasn't anything we skied that I even noticed as steep--none of it seemed at all steep or intimidating to me (single blacks and blues at Stowe), but apparently something about the way I skied it made it look like I was nervous or something. Except that I was trying to ski it doing the drills while keeping up with the group and it was messing me up totally, so of course I did not ski particularly well. I think it was also jarring because I had taken a day-long tele clinic at MRG a month prior and got some really positive feedback about my skiing.

The PSIA clinic I did when I got my Level 1 was with someone who gave positive reinforcement and encouragement along with excellent progressions and drills, which I found more helpful. But this wasn't really the right venue for that. In fact, that's why I am pursuing my Level 2, because that clinic was a game changer for my skiing at the time. So lots more to work on next year, along with developing a thicker skin.

Sorry to go on about this. Yes my ego was massively bruised, but I'll be back for more next year because I DO want to take things up a notch.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
What's the snot dripping drill again? I can't seem to find it. And am curious.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were told to keep our nose just out in front of our downhill ski so that if we had snot dripping from our nose, it would drip just in front of the front ski. LOL. This was when conditions were firm, and I think it was to keep us balanced over our skis with our center of mass moving down the hill. At least that's what I took from it. But it really helped keep an edge on the firm.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not all "drills" are created equal. :smile:. I bet you could work on changing certain body movements, or their timing, if you had a good sense of what, why and how to make the changes. You're a good athlete!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! My issues have mostly been related to coordination. Like, when turning with one ski, after about 3 turns, I forget whether I'm doing the ski with the uphill ski or downhill ski drill. :doh:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the vote of confidence! My issues have mostly been related to coordination. Like, when turning with one ski, after about 3 turns, I forget whether I'm doing the ski with the uphill ski or downhill ski drill. :doh:

^^ You just described me trying to dance. It's like my mind goes blank, even thought I've been doing the same step over and over again ...

Skisailor

Angel Diva

I know what you mean - I can have that kind of thing happen too. I blame it on getting too contrived by my left brain. When I learn a drill - I have to do it slow and think about the specific steps at first. But then I quickly have to convert it to - how does this feel? - if I'm going to keep it up. If I stay in super thinker mode, I instantly start messing up. :smile:

The sexy leg drill does that for me. More than 6 turns of doing this and I start tripping over my own skis. Not sure why the repetition of this one drill does this to me cause I am fine with other drills.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
The sexy leg drill does that for me. More than 6 turns of doing this and I start tripping over my own skis. Not sure why the repetition of this one drill does this to me cause I am fine with other drills.

what is the sexy leg drill?

what is the sexy leg drill?

I think @Jilly or someone else can articulate it better but this thread does a great job. Look at the top posting by Jilly and the posting as well.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/turning-help-please.19286/page-5

Its as if you have your hands on your thighs and you are rubbing down to enter into the turn in a sort of tuck position with knees bent and butt out and then back up your thigh as you come up out of the turn and upright your position a little more. Easier to do this without poles I've found.

I know the lesson i want to learn next season is moguls because at Killington right now the best coverage it seems is on superstar.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Biggest lesson learned: Don't compare yourself to others. When I stopped doing that and just relaxed and went skiing, I was able to get out of my head. Also, a great ski day doesn't have to be dependant upon stellar conditions, or weather, or the ski area. Some of the best days are those just spent with friends.

If I stop thinking about how I look while skiing, and just challenge myself, I have more fun. @RachelV gave me some good advice several seasons ago for skiing trees: Sometimes you just gotta rock the snowplow.:smile:

Best skill I learned (well, this was 2 seasons ago but I'm still amazed by it): The retraction turn. Skiing bumps makes much more sense to me if I use a retraction turn. But, another lesson: Mogul skiing is always a work in progress.

Biggest lesson from this year: Stay out of the bumps when its icy. It's not worth risking injury. Skiing is a fun pasttime for me; I'll challenge myself on most any terrain except for icy bumps. Or trees with lots of rocks. :-) Or, @Skisailor , anything like the Big Couloir. THAT stuff ain't happening for me!:smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna