• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Knee pain on ski vacation

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah and I struggle with that, mentally... but since I only use it on ski days and not really at any other time, I figure it's not so much that it would cause any lasting damage. I'm not lucky enough to live in a ski town where skiing is my life, so a few weeks out of the year my intake increases... I'll take my chances. Sometimes I'll skip the lunchtime IB (funny how that beer or hot toddy makes you forget about knee aches...) and instead just do morning and night - but when I'm skiing, it most definitely helps keep that inflammation down.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yes to all of the above and I'm a believer in Arnica (montana) cream... no heat/no smell is a homeopathic for deep tissue bruising without it I'd not be skiing as much as I do.. several Divas and their friends can attest to the quickness and help arnica has been for them.
and if you can find the "K" Tape.. it's a tape you can put on joints to give extra support :-)

I hope you feel better ASAP!!

My knees are held together with KT!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even for people without medical conditions, ibuprofen is hard on the GI system.

I used to be a heavy ibuprofen user. I used Turmeric in its place to ween myself from my daily use. I no longer take advil pills. However, I friend of mine who travels to Europe on a regular basis gave me tube of "Voltaren" which is topical anti inflammatory. However, it can have the same GI issues/ other risks - I guess if used regularly. What I find interesting is that this is OTC in Europe and Mexico but haven't seen it in US? I use it for a few days on a sprain or injured area - its great for knees or shoulder areas.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to be a heavy ibuprofen user. I used Turmeric in its place to ween myself from my daily use. I no longer take advil pills. However, I friend of mine who travels to Europe on a regular basis gave me tube of "Voltaren" which is topical anti inflammatory. However, it can have the same GI issues/ other risks - I guess if used regularly. What I find interesting is that this is OTC in Europe and Mexico but haven't seen it in US? I use it for a few days on a sprain or injured area - its great for knees or shoulder areas.

It's the same active ingredient as Pennsaid, which is a prescription in the US. Pennsaid is a slightly higher amount. It made my skin burn, so I didn't use it much.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
DeeSki I can sooooo totally relate to your feet and I also was thinking that my old boots did fit well, but like you I had to crank the buckles. I think you will be (as I was) pleasantly surprised that even some of the lower volume shells can accommodate a bit wider forefoot yet cater to a slimmer ankle/ calf with a higher then normal instep. :becky:
What boot did you get? Thinking next year new boots for me.. Mine were packed out and got intuition liners .... Really helped snug heel down.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Got voltaren gel and patches in Mexico for about $10 each..

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The dodgy knee held up very well over the course of the week. I did a bit more icing as needed and kept the compression bandage on while skiing, but I did more skiing last week than I have done since I injured myself in 2010. More importantly, it was the first time that I really had fun. Some of my problem is definitely postural because the pain went away when I worked at keeping my weight forward This is probably my season done but next season I am definitely buying new boots, because mine are unfortunately past it. I could try new liners but I think at 11 years next year, it will be worth shelling out for the improvements in technology. I'm also going to get new goggles. Mr DeeSki got new ones because he had lost his and I tried them out and they really were a lot better than what I have and I lose my nerve in poor visibility. Last but not least, I'm getting new pants. The ones I have work fine but I look like a skinny old lady and who needs that? :rotf:

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL @newboots! Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful not to have to worry about my weight. It's just that in my head I'm a fine figure of a woman and then I see pictures of this tiny bird-like creature and wonder who she is!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna