• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Kicking Horse

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Hey Divas,

We've decided to do Kicking Horse for a week right after Christmas. I am in the process of picking out the house. A friend of mine owns there so a bunch of us are descending upon the area. It will be a first time skiing in Canada for me, let alone at KH. Any thoughts about the hill, the village, or the surrounding attractions are welcome!

Jilly

Staff member
@SkiBam has skied there.....All I've ever heard is it's not a place for beginners. The food is suppose to be amazing in the restaurant at the top of the mountain.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
@SkiBam has skied there.....All I've ever heard is it's not a place for beginners. The food is suppose to be amazing in the restaurant at the top of the mountain.

KH is a fabulous place. I'm sure there's more open (and more lifts) since I skied there several years ago and despite the fact there's tons of challenging stuff, there are beginner/intermediate runs sufficient to keep less adventurous skiers happy. The restaurant at the top is lovely - though maybe not for an everyday meal. Though that might have changed since I was there.

It's for sure a place I would go back to - just hard to fit all my 'must-ski' places into the time available!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I've been there. The whole lower portion (the old ski area) is nothing but greens and blues. It is very well segregated from the upper (advanced) mountain.
Certainly beginners and lower intermediates want to stay off the upper mountain as there are only a few ways down.The view from the top is amazing and lunch is $$$.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
KH is an awesome mountain for advanced skiers. Like others said, the majority of the beginner/intermediate terrain is on the lower chair, accessed from Catamount or Pioneer chairs. The gondola does have a couple of green and blue options down from the top, but not much. Same with Stairway to Heaven. Skiing from the top to the bottom will of course mean skiing the lower mountain terrain too. However, if you want chutes, you've got them! Late Dec/early Jan is pretty early season there, and coverage will probably still be pretty thin. That might mean that some of the terrain isn't open yet, and it will definitely mean that some of the chutes will be a little narrower than later in the season when more of the rocks are covered! At that time of year there's a fairly high probability of it being pretty darn cold, I've skied at New Years there when it's been -32C plus wind, and my last few trips there in general have been well below -20C. At least you get a bit of a break from it in the gondola.

As far as food goes, I've never eaten at the top ($$$), we bring our own lunch to eat at the bottom. I've had the yam fries down there, and they're tasty. Never stayed in the village. There are some good restaurants in town, like the Whitetooth Bistro and 11-22.

For other attractions, there's not much in Golden. There's a climbing gym which I've never been in. There's groomed cross-country skiing up near the base of the ski hill, and it's a good set of trails. Lots of other places to x-country ski or snowshoe if you don't need them groomed. An hour south is Radium Hot Springs, which would be a good side trip. 2 hours the other direction, through the Rogers Pass, is Revelstoke, if you wanted to check out another hill. Of course, assuming you're coming from a flight landing in Calgary, you'll also be passing Sunshine (near Banff) and Lake Louise on the way, both less than 2 hours from Golden.

Feel free to pick my brain some more, I only live about 3 hours south of there, and my sister used to be a ski patrol there, so I can dig up specific info about something if you ask.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
We've only been to KH a couple of times - and it was really fun, but it is good for more advanced skiers. There is one green run from the top, as the others mentioned, but unless a beginner has the stamina to go go go, it is a LONG way down. I had just started skiing blues when we went and the green run from the top was exhausting for me. Like others said, December is slightly early, but it really depends on the year. Last year was a late snow year, but the year before was great in December. We've never stayed in the village. We really like to stay in Golden - the town is really friendly, there are great b&bs you can stay in and great condos. There are also some beautiful chalets/houses for not much money outside of Golden if you are willing to drive a bit to get skiing. If you are into cross-country skiing and snowshoeing, I would also recommend checking out Nipika resort, just south of there. There is a small day use fee and the trails are x-country ski trails are beautiful!

Depending on where you will be flying in from, I can also give more recommendations. @Ringrat knows, I'm sure, much more about the immediate area than I. But if you are coming in from Calgary, I would be more than happy to give you more info on Calgary, Canmore, Banff and LL. If you are coming in from this side, you should definitely try to hit up LL and Sunshine, and there are great restaurants in Canmore and Calgary, and great x-country skiing in Canmore and snowshoeing in Kananaskis.

sounds like a great plan!

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Hey ladies!!!

So we have a townhouse on the mountain, and just bought airplane tickets to Calgary. Still outstanding is transport from Calgary to KH and lift tix. The terrain layout seems to match what we want - we have two advanced skiers with us (me and my sis in law - both telemarkers), one intermediate (my bro), and a child. Plus we have two non-skiers - a babysitter (my Mom) and a non-skier (my 1 year old nephew).

A couple of points:

- On the way out, we will spend at least part of day in Calgary, so if there is a must-see attraction there, please let me know.
- I am debating between renting a 7-pax SUV, or taking the shuttle from YYC to KH. One thing - any chance we will need to, or want to, go down the mountain during the week for groceries or dinner? I mean, we love to cook and are pretty mellow in general.

I am sure I'll be picking brains more as we get closer.

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
WOW, yes, I am a bit jealous :redface:

Just one thought: when we planned our Canada/Rockies trip three years ago we pre-booked lift tickets - that was a lot cheaper than buying them there.
In the end we couldn't go (DH's knee :doh: - still not 100% recovered :frown: ) but we got most of the ticket prices transferred back (minus a small admin fee, I believe).

ENJOY!!
And, please, post some trip pictures are description - I know that eventually I WILL travel to CA for skiing :becky:

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Good point, it definitely seems like pre-booking lift tix is a must, but I am not very well-versed in it. Any advice welcome. I'll check the other threads, of course.

We will do our best to enjoy! Every year I go skiing with friends post-Christmas. this year I decided to bring the family in on the fun...

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, sorry, I cannot provide you with any advice there. The booking was not done via the resorts' pages but through some deal-side we found on the web. We did quite some research and google stuff back then. But I am sure that some divas know some deal-www-pages for lift tix..!?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
@SkiGAP sounds great! i think you probably do want to rent a car. you can stay at the hill the whole time, but i think it would be a little confining, and expensive (especially for groceries). you will definitely want to go into golden and field. and it gives you an opportunity to stop in banff and/or lake louise on the way in and out. if you can spend your half day in calgary in banff or lake louise - that would be great. in terms of calgary, i wouldn't say there is a 'must see' attraction. but, if it is a nice day, going to the calgary tower is a fun thing to do, as is a walk along the bow river downtown, and across to prince's island. if you are foodies, i would suggest to check out one of calgary's many awesome restaurants, i am more than happy to give suggestions :smile: if you will be downtown, i can probably meet up with you, depending on the date, and show you around some parts of town.

what a fun trip!!!!

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kicking Horse might just be my favorite place! I'm headed back there for a 3rd time this coming March (14-22, 2015)!!!! So far looks like it's going to be a great winter for them. Lots of snow already!

Get a rental car for sure. Budget has pretty good pricing on vehicles if you choose the pay in advanced option. Stop in Calgary or Canmore to get groceries and liqour before you head into BC (liqour/beer/wine is taxed really heavy there). My first year there we took the shuttle which was awesome, until I got really sick and needed cold medicine. It was a $45 cab ride EACH WAY to go to town, so I unfortunately had to treat what turned out to be pneumonia with cough drops and tylenol because that's all I had access too! And buying groceries on the mountain is really expensive. I think I paid something ridiculous like $7.99 for a dozen eggs from the shopette on the mountain.

You will really enjoy staying on the mountain. Peaks Grille is really good for apres and there's enough selection for dinners and lunches on the menu that you won't ever get bored. They also have the best poutine on the mountain there. I've only eaten lunch at Eagle's Eye because I'd have to sell a kidney on the black market to afford dinner up there. Lunch is more than what I would normally pay, but I figure one day isn't going to kill my budget. FYI-If you do eat a lunch at Eagle's Eye take sunglasses up there with you to wear inside. Even on a cloudy, overcast day, it's till incredibly bright up there. You will see everyone, including the servers wearing sunglasses inside. The only thing they are really lacking is a good breakfast place, so I'm not sure what your plans for meals are yet, but I would really plan on cooking your own breakfasts. There is a nice coffee shop in the base area.

I just purchased my lift tickets on Liftopia for pretty cheap, so you may want to look there.

There is literally something for everyone to ski there. Beginners will love skiing off the catamount chair, and that's even a good chair to ski off of if you want a little break from solid leg burners. If it's a nice sunny day, I'd recommend doing laps in the crystal bowl from the stairway chair.

Last edited:

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, I'm not. I've skied from Whitewall over to Truth/Dare/Consequence but never off the south side of Terminator 1 or off Terminator 2 Ridges. I've definitely not gone farther south than Terminator to outside the boundary, nor dropped off the west (actually south-west) side outside of the boundary. There is often a skin track set up a ridge to the north of Feuz Bowl, but I'm not sure where people usually access this area from. I don't believe the resort allows uphill travel, so I assume that it follows the boundary, just outside it, up the side of Race Place before cutting north, but I'm just guessing.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Ladies,

This is amazing advice! So I have reserved a Full-sized SUV (we are 4 adults and 2 kids) in Calgary. We will be at KH from Dec 27th for a week (Sat-Sat). I am so looking forward to it! Will anyone else be there for new years?

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pretty dismal. Kicking Horse and Revelstoke have a slight advantage of the high alpine terrain over everything else around here. Revelstoke is currently recommending downloading the gondola to get to the bottom. Kicking Horse...I'm sure the lower third of the mountain is an exercise in perseverance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna