• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jeweled ring and gloves

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've always preferred plain bands, but my sweetie got me a ring with a single jewel in it, which I like a lot, so I'm wearing it all the time, under the wedding band. The thing is, I'm afraid it's going to chew up the inside of my gloves... And, if I take the rings on and off every time I'm skiing, like DW does, I will probably lose them. Delimma. So, will they kill my gloves? What do you do with your rings?

The ring seem to be getting along fine with my rollerblading gloves.

Is there a special liner that protects gloves from rings? :tongue:

Jilly

Staff member
Never had a problem with mine. It sits a good 14" above my skin. It is on tight too.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Honestly, this is why I got an "engagement mountain bike." Although I think the whole concept of an engagement gift is weird and festooned with historical gender roles that don't really apply. But that's all beside the point of your question.

Do you wear this ring while washing dishes? I always wondered about the practicality of this sort of thing. I have a couple of nice rings, but I only wear them rarely, so I'd just slip them off to do anything. I'd like nice jewelry, but I had my most expensive piece stolen, which kind of soured me on the whole thing.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And, if I take the rings on and off every time I'm skiing, like DW does, I will probably lose them.

Could you invest in a necklace with a trustworthy clasp and put the rings on the necklace? That way they can be close to you physically and symbolically, and you're unlikely to lose something attached to your body.

I managed to never lose a black opal ring I wore as a teen, which I viewed as something similar to an engagement ring. It's a miracle it was never lost or damaged, as I typically just hooked it to something in my gym bag or my key ring *eek*

Tvan

Angel Diva
Do you wear this ring while washing dishes? I always wondered about the practicality of this sort of thing. I have a couple of nice rings, but I only wear them rarely, so I'd just slip them off to do anything. I'd like nice jewelry, but I had my most expensive piece stolen, which kind of soured me on the whole thing.

We had only wedding bands when we got married, but a couple years ago for a significant birthday, DH got me a low-profile diamond setting. It's the only jewelry I have of any value, and it's meant to be worn all the time. I do wear when I'm washing dishes, but take it off for pie crust. I have always used gloves when I'm cleaning with chemicals or working outside. I haven't had any issues with ski gloves.

mustski

Angel Diva
Could you invest in a necklace with a trustworthy clasp and put the rings on the necklace? That way they can be close to you physically and symbolically, and you're unlikely to lose something attached to your body.

Actually, this is a brilliant idea! Confession ... I'm a bit of bauble whore and I LOVE nice gemstones! In inherited this love from my mom, along with all her jewelry which doubled my stash. I don't bother with a safe deposit box because it's not a love of ownership but a love of wearing it. I never wear a ring skiing or swimming. The only time this presents a problem is when I'm traveling because I worry about leaving it in a hotel room or condo. The necklace would definitely solve the skiing issue, and that covers most of my traveling.

altagirl

Staff member
Missing a slash in there...1/4"

Hah - It's really funny how non-obvious that was to me that it was just missing the slash. I had the same visual in my head as bounceswoosh and was like WHAT!?! Are you Lady Gaga? Then I was thinking maybe you meant mm.

Anyway - I'd vote for a necklace type thing, as it can be dangerous to wear regular rings during sports activity where you have the potential to break a finger. Yeah, it doesn't happen often, but if you did, you could end up with really serious issues and need it cut off or lose the finger. What about a silicone ring for things like this if you really want to wear something?

That said, I don't even have a wedding or engagement ring either and we bought avy beacons and season passes instead, so obviously some of the significance is lost on me.

Last edited:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I wouldn't be as concerned with the glove integrity as much as the security of the gemstone itself. Depending on what type of stone, the hardness varies considerably - plus some are more brittle than others. But the big be-careful is the setting, especially a prong setting, which can and does fail (Do Not Ask how I know this...). Even a bezel setting should be checked for security once a year by a jeweler. Especially if this is an insurance rider-covered piece.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I take mine off for any athletic activity...biking, skiing, swimming, even kickball. This might stem from playing team sports for 14 or so years during school. Team sports generally don't allow any jewelry, so I've always been in the habit of taking any jewelry off.

I'd agree with Altagirl and MaineSkiLady, I'm more concerned with breaking my finger and the ring causing more problems, or having the gemstone loosen or come out. Also when my fingers get cold they shrink quite a bit and my ring loosens, I'm afraid I'll pull my glove/mitten off at some point and the ring will come off with it, and I won't notice or can't find it in the snow.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Opals I know are very sensitive to temperature fluctuations. I don't know if other gems have similar issues. For opals it's the water content.

I agree with the risk of losing a finger. I always took it off for hockey. Started removing it downhill mountain biking after I endo'd and bent my fingers backwards badly. I haven't worried about it for skiing; it would be tough to do that style of damage through mittens.

Mittens might be an idea. Less constriction on the individual finger.

I keep picturing evening gloves with rings on the outside.

mustski

Angel Diva
I also am far more concerned with the gemstone than the glove. Gloves are much easier to replace. I learned the hard way a lot of years ago that my fingers shrink in the ocean. I lost a ring playing in the waves and I didn't even feel it come off. No jewelry during sports for safety reasons and no jewelry during cooking for health reasons - food poisoning!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, everyone! Much to think about.

For me, if I lose the ring, it will be because it flies off or slips from my finger as I take it off and put it on, so the necklace might not quite work.

I have had such a hard time finding the perfect gloves, that it didn't occur to me that they are cheaper than the ring. :redface: I suppose I could not worry about it, except for the finger cutting off thing. Having the settings checked does seem like a good idea regardless. Hand shrinkage had never occurred to me, either; I'll have to test it out. I suppose it's a saltwater vs freshwater thing?

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope. It's a temperature thing. Unless you are swimming in a hot tub, the water temp is cooler than the air temp.
Ahhh... OK. So applicable to skiing. Definitely worth testing out. I haven't lost a ring, but would hate to start now. :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
Not applicable to skiing because the gloves would keep your hands warm.

You must be one of those people whose hands stay warm.... ;) Even when I consider my hands to be comfortable (vs. painfully frozen), they still feel like blocks of ice to other people - or against skin that's actually warm on other parts of my body.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna