• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

If you ever wanted to ski the Alps...

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m looking forward to Austria in February! Conditions look great. :yahoo:In the meantime, thanks to my enabling husband I’ll be checking out the mountains in central Germany in two weeks time. Current conditions are described as “wet snow” which is less promising but skiing is skiing.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
although there is a high risk of avalanches on the border with France and Switzerland.

The avalanche danger is scary but I have noticed at every lift the "rate of avalanche" danger is lit up as 1,2,3,4,5 so there are definitely warnings posted. But the areas are so vast it's skier beware. It's not all patrolled so off piste is a concern.

Terri GB

Diva in Training
I am British and have only ever Skiid in Europe so have nothing else to compare it to yet. I returned from Meribel last week, part of the three valleys ski area and they are huge! We stayed for 8 days, and did not manage to cover anywhere near all of the trails. This was surprising as we are first lift up, last ones down the mountain kinda people. Courchevel (next valley along) is beautiful and very prestige, Meribel slightly more down to earth and slightly more affordable. Val Thorens, also part of the three valleys was extremely crowded! I don't know about u.s.a or Canada but I nearly fell of my skis when I paid 14 euros for a coffee with a shot up the mountain in Courchevel! Snow there has been brilliant this year and 2018 been deservedly named by Europeans as 'the year of powder' I'm happy to share information or tips about resorts in Europe with you guys, and hopefully you can point me in the right direction for Canada /USA ? sorry, I haven't been to chamonix yet. The Avalanche warnings in Europe are justified and taken very seriously but so is all of the technology used and off piste danger spots are clearly marked out in my experience. They have a reliable grading system which is shown on every lift and trail peak.. So you kind of get familiar with seeing it around.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn’t mean to boast. OK, I lie, I totally did! But I knew the Divas would appreciate the views!

@Terri GB I’ve never skied in France, but it’s definitely on my bucket list. Maribel looks beautiful. Sounds pricy though. Austria was no way near that expensive. Didn’t have coffee with a shot for direct comparison but our hotel only charged €3.70 for a glass of wine and food on the mountain was reasonable - two plates of Frankfurter sausages with bread, two soups, four soft drinks and a coffee came to €30. Obergurgl is quite a small family resort though. It’s on the same lift ticket as Sölden, 10 minutes away by ski bus, which is much bigger and I’d expect also more expensive.

Terri GB

Diva in Training
I didn’t mean to boast. OK, I lie, I totally did! But I knew the Divas would appreciate the views!

@Terri GB I’ve never skied in France, but it’s definitely on my bucket list. Maribel looks beautiful. Sounds pricy though. Austria was no way near that expensive. Didn’t have coffee with a shot for direct comparison but our hotel only charged €3.70 for a glass of wine and food on the mountain was reasonable - two plates of Frankfurter sausages with bread, two soups, four soft drinks and a coffee came to €30. Obergurgl is quite a small family resort though. It’s on the same lift ticket as Sölden, 10 minutes away by ski bus, which is much bigger and I’d expect also more expensive.
Hey Dee ski, I have friends who love obergurgl and totally recommend it, sounds like great value for money too! We haven't been, although I have been to solden. Perhaps we will go for a long weekend, which I find is perfect time for the smaller resorts. Beautiful pictures! I get such ski destination envy when I hear of all the places people have visited..I was even planning to buy a world map and mark each one as I returned. Lol, if only! X

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna