• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ice worthy Frontside carver for East Coast

I was originally going to pick up the Volkl Charisma at the demo sale at my local resort for a sweet deal at the end of the season. However, I changed the size I wanted and they don't offer the taller size at the demo sale so that leaves me without a Charisma which makes me sad. However, I think of it is a purchase that wasn't meant to be right now and the right ski will come along.

I may not get to demo before the end of this season so if a good deal comes up over the end of season/summer/fall I may grab it. I still may get the Charisma if I see a sweet deal but I am also now looking at the Blizzard Viva 810 ti. I am finding I am in favor of a stiff ski with metal/titanium in it which is why the Charisma and Viva 810 ti are on my radar.

I wasn't sure if there were other skis that are good front side skis ice/east coast that I should consider. I am open to suggestions.

BlackDiamondVolkl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski K2 Potion 76 Ti's and love them!

Ski CT

Certified Ski Diva
I gotta go with the Head Super Joy, those things bite!

Thanks everyone. I am making a list to watch for sales over the summer. Keep em coming......

I am wondering how the RTM 81 is for a woman. I used to ride a men's snowboard so that's what got me thinking about this ski. That and my boyfriend has it and loves it. I know the Charisma is the female counterpart to the RTM but I was just wondering that if a gal is not a lightweight if the RTM 81 will be even better.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a bigger girl and have never used women's skis. Currently IN LOVE with my new K2 AMP 82 Rictor XTi's (not sure that's all in the right order, hate the name). Stiff, lots of camber, some rocker, very turny (13 meter radius), intense edge hold. Excellent on chicken heads (and today they were monkey heads, not quite as much fun, but I didn't die..) and ice. Quick edge to edge, but enough shovel to handle most of the slush we've had. The length I have is 170. They were the perfect daily driver for our season this year.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Serafina is on the RTM 84.

DH demo’d the RTM 81 (probably in a +-170) and loved it. Co-owners (former collegiate racers, mad-fast) of our local shop, Ski Depot, are both big fans of both models, have seen them on both. Their skis of choice.

These are serious skis, so a demo would be a good idea, make sure this is what you want/need. (DH is ax 150#, for the record, slight build but expert skier.)

Graphics changes for this year, not sure if internal changes - I see mostly first generation of these models out and about.

I'm a bigger girl and have never used women's skis. Currently IN LOVE with my new K2 AMP 82 Rictor XTi's (not sure that's all in the right order, hate the name). Stiff, lots of camber, some rocker, very turny (13 meter radius), intense edge hold. Excellent on chicken heads (and today they were monkey heads, not quite as much fun, but I didn't die..) and ice. Quick edge to edge, but enough shovel to handle most of the slush we've had. The length I have is 170. They were the perfect daily driver for our season this year.[/QUOTEP

One of my friends in California has the Rictor and LOVES it................ great ski.

Ok thats it I am trying the RTM in the next couple of weeks if I can. It will be hard to tear myself away from my Kenjas for a day but someone told me they are changing the RTMs next season and losing the tip rocker so if I am interested in this ski I need to demo now if I can. I just hope they have the 81 in 161cm but we will see.

By the way what are chicken heads? I have heard this term before but didn't know what it meant.

Last edited:
I am not an expert skier by any means so I fear this ski may be too much for me but if the ski is changing next year this is my only time to demo it. I was afraid of the Kenja thinking it would be too much ski for me and it wasn't so who knows I might love the RTM.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Rough-groomed refrozen snow chunks. Name varies with size of chunks. Monkey heads are between chicken heads and death cookies. Good ice skis can cope with chicken heads, especially if they have metal. Death cookies, good luck. A super-strong big individual - maybe.

The 81 really likes to be laid out, hard. DH got back on his usual skis after that demo - and promptly hip-dumped. Ha. Was easy enough for him to get used to that great edge?

Hmmmm maybe the RTM 81 is too much for me. My Kenja likes to be skied hard also. I am getting there and I noticed she purrs like a kitten when I am on the tips and go faster but maybe I can demo the RTM now and buy next year or something when I am more of a hard charger :smile:

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
These monkey heads/ice balls were the size of baseballs. To me, that's the size of a monkey head and round things. Your monkey heads may vary.

My "death cookies" are smaller, the size of cookies, and flat.

Funny how different regions call things different things.

Jilly

Staff member
How about beaver balls.....about the size of golf balls.. It's an Ontario Canada thing...

Can't help on the Volkl's...

ha ha. I love the name beaver balls. I obviously need to expand my ski vocabulary. I ski in western Massachusetts mostly and at the very end of the season we get these hard balls of snow. I was calling this crud but maybe death cookies or beaver balls are more fitting. All I know is at the end of last season I had my super light volkl viola skis and was tossed around like a ragdoll. I am looking forward to the end of season this year since I now have my kenjas as I think I will no longer have an issue.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The RTMs have been unchanged for a few years, but will go from full rocker to camber under foot for 2016. The 84 was my favorite ski of the test, with the Charisma right behind it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna