• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: I Need New Skis

hanna_marit

Diva in Training
I want to buy new skis either at the end of this season or beginning of next season so I have some fun new skis for next year. I am an advanced to expert skier and can ski anything on the mountain, I don't necessarily enjoy tightly packed trees and cliffs but can ski them. I really do ski a little bit of everything so I am looking for an all mountain ski that performs well at very high speeds, gives the guys a run for their money, turns well on ice, can handle moguls and can take groomers, powder and crappy conditions. I have been demo-ing all year this year but my old skis are Rossignol Attraxion V(2007) and they have been great skis but I now out ski them and they are old technology :smile: My old skis are 146s. I am a petite person at 4'11" and 100lbs, I have very small feet too so that often presents a challenge in finding bindings that work with the skis that also fit my small size 20 boot.

The skis I have demo-ed this year are:
1=Poor 2= Fair 3=Average 4=Very Good 5=Excellent

K2 MissBehaved 159
Turns: 3 being that they are VERY fat skis they don't want to turn like other skis and I was not overly impressed with their ability to turn on demand either
Stability :4 May just been too big for me but the skis chatter when at very high speeds and on flatter terrain
Crud : 5
Powder : 5
Ice : 3
Overall Impression : 3

Tested Length Felt:
Too long
Ski Sidecut Felt:
alright
Ski Flex Felt:
Just right

Best Described As:
BIG and heavy, they are an aggressive ski that most have said they love however they were not my favorite, they may have simply been too big. They are VERY heavy skis.

Line Celebrity 151
Short Turns: 4
Medium Turns :4
Long Turns :4
Stability :4
Crud :4
Powder :3
Ice :4
Overall Impression :4 They were great skis but I think I will out ski them quickly

Tested Length Felt:
Not bad, I could handle a little longer or shorter depending on the ski
Ski Sidecut Felt:
alright
Ski Flex Felt:
I would like a slightly stiffer ski
Best Described As:
good ski all around, they handled well everywhere but for me are just not aggressive enough

Volkl Aura 156

Short Turns : 5
Medium Turns :5
Long Turns :5
Stability :5Crud :5
Powder :4
Ice :5
Overall Impression :5

Tested Length Felt:
I thought they would be too long but they were great!
Ski Sidecut Felt:
Great
Ski Flex Felt:
Just right
Best Described As:
agressive, performer, wants to race the big boys

Notes:

I loved these skis, they were great everywhere I went on the mountain my only criticism had to do with the demo bindings that were big and heavy.

I have demo-ed multiple others but not as all mountain skis and they haven't been very positive experiences, being either too much of a beginner/intermediate ski, a powder ski, just front side skis etc. I have been told to try the Rossignol 88s and the Volkl Kenjas are others I should try. I am wondering what others think of those two? and based on what I said about the 3 above whether I would enjoy them or not? Any other skis that I should try? I am open to any feedback/guidance others have for me as the season is coming to a close in the next month or so and if there are more skis to try I need to fit them in :smile:

Thanks Ladies!!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
....I love my Auras....and so do lots of the gals around here...
IMG_0551.jpg

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 5'1 and 105 lbs and love my Temptation 88's. I ski 3-5 days a week so I've had these skis in a variety of conditions. I do ski my older version of the Rossi S3's on powder days 5-6" and above. If you're in the Denver/Boulder area check out Outdoor Divas. Can't help you with the others as I've become a Rossi fan.

mustski

Angel Diva
I too have fallen in love with my Auras. The more I ski them, the more I love them. Another favorite around here is the Kenja and the Blizzard Black Pearl. The preferences are personal in nature so I think you need to demo to see. It sounds from your reviews above that the Aura is the ski to beat right now. Mine have the demo bindings and I haven't found them heavy, but that could be because my other ski is a heavy ski so I am used to the weight. Good luck!

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check out the Armada TSTw.

I have mine set up with the women's Salomon Z10 Ti binding, and this is a super light ski/binding set up. Rocks the hardpack snow, deep fluffy powder, bumps, and everything in between.

mountain_erin

Diva in Training
I liked the Auras more than the Kenjas when I demo'd both back to back. Auras were more stable. Kenjas were very slightly jittery when in the bumps.

B

B.E.G.

It sounds like the Auras are a winner for you, based on your demo experience. Just get very light bindings?

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, you answered your own question. Auras are light skis too, so if you get light bindings you will have a light set up with powerful skis.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, you answered your own question. Auras are light skis too, so if you get light bindings you will have a light set up with powerful skis.
Another Aura fan here. I got the Salomon Z 12 bindings for them, and they're nice and light.

wendyh

Certified Ski Diva
hanna_marit,
What did you decide on? I'm on the Rossi Attraxion 6 in 146 and looking for something different--wider, a little longer. I'm not able to demo the Aura but it sounds like everyone loves it (is there anyone who has any negatives to say about it?)

lakeviewpowder

Certified Ski Diva
If you like the Aura I would also check out the Nordica Nemesis. Less damp than the Aura but also wants to be skied aggressively (98mm under foot, minimal rocker upfront).

marzNC

Angel Diva
hanna_marit,
What did you decide on? I'm on the Rossi Attraxion 6 in 146 and looking for something different--wider, a little longer. I'm not able to demo the Aura but it sounds like everyone loves it (is there anyone who has any negatives to say about it?)
I'm a Rossi fan. My skis are the Attraxion 8 at 154 (2010 model, no rocker) for me at 5'0", 112 pounds. For me, they are good in all sorts of conditions, including 10-20 inches of powder because of the big shovel. Have been on the current S3 at Alta and liked them. Would like to try the Temptations. I haven't liked any Volkl and have tried several different ones in the last few years. Dynaster skis also work for me.

My favorite demo ski this season was the Blizzard Black Pearl at 159. The Crush at 156 (132/98/122) was pretty good too, but Crush at 164 was too long. Really don't like the Marker binding though.

hanna_marit

Diva in Training
hanna_marit,

I did choose the auras I haven't found a binding that works yet though as my feet are very small and I have youth racing boots, my next struggle is finding bindings that perform toy ability, are light and go small enough for my size 20 boot.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna