• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I Just Ordered New Skis -Dynastar Cham 97 W

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I, who am always advocating demoing here, ordered these skis after 1 run at the end of the day.
However I've done 2 runs on the 2014 model 2 years ago (which are slightly different).
I have been demoing the Volkl Aura for the last 2 seasons and as many of you know am a Volkl fan. However I'm just not feeling it with the Aura this season. I think it's because my skiing technique has changed as I've trained as an instructor on more high performing carving skis that the Aura feels a little wide , planky and unresponsive now.
I'm hoping I've done the right thing with the Chams. The are a bit softer and lighter with a very powder specific tip, camber under foot, a pin tail with slight rocker introduced this year, apparently happy on piste and in lots of powder. A 5 point side cut and a radius of only 15, which is very small for such a wide ski. I wonder if the small radius is what I liked when I tried them -I could apply my regular skiing style that I use on my Volkl Codes -radius 14, and the Chams responded with a nice carved turn on a firm groomer. They then creamed the chalky chopped up off piste like a butter knife and were very manoeuvrable. -They just don't feel as wide as they are.
I hope I wasn't just having a really good day.
I've already got 2 quite stiff skis that are perfect for the mountain I most ski on, so I was looking for a more playful ski for traveling to Utah with and using for fresh snow days here. I think I'll use the Cham more here in NZ than the Aura as it is better on a firm groomed run. I may even find they replace my Kenjas.

I ordered the 166

Cham 97 W
Size Available 152, 159, 166, 172, 178
Weight 3400
Sidecut 133-97-113
Radius 15
Website info:
Featuring a new, next-generation blend of rocker, sidecut, and construction, each element of CHAM 2.0 W has been rethought, re-designed, and re-shaped to deliver maximum freeride versatility to women. At 97mm underfoot, the all-new CHAM 2.0 W 97 provides adaptable all-mountain performance whether no matter where the snow takes you. Moderate tip rocker provides better snow contact, float, and control; combined with traditional camber and a slightly rockered pintail for confident power and maneuverability. The smoothed-out five-point sidecut and more balanced, lightweight core profile provide smooth turn entry and exit for playful and instinctive performance in any snow condition, combined with the lightweight touring versatility to access any backcountry adventure. 70% Powder/ 30% All-Mountain

0453-TristanShu.jpg
DAEH602_CHAM-W-2.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
I enjoyed the Cham 97 at Alta in soft snow last season. Rented demo skis when there was 6+ inches of fresh powder in Jan. Got the 166cm at 5'0", 120 lbs. That day we were skiing in trees a fair amount after having a lesson in relatively steep trees in the morning. Knew I liked Cham in general from the Alta demo day the year before. In April, I found the Cham 107 was good in soft snow, 8+ inches fresh powder, but not so much fun on the groomers that were pretty solid after warm spring weather the day before.

Be interested to hear what you think.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations, they sound nice! Can you, please, also tell after you ski them? I am kind of looking to replace bushwhackers, but crud performance is a must for my next ski and they have be good in moguls.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I could have gone longer as I'm quite a bit taller than you MarzNC but I've gone off long skis lately- I think 166 is enough for tree and bump skiing, which I like to do.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@NZfarmgirl -
I demo’d the Cham 97 W when it first came out, and I had similar impression: that it had a really short turn radius for its width (which I liked - and was necessary where I took it!). Just a ton of fun, especially in the soft snow conditions that I enjoyed that day.

They have done some minor tweaking that has improved the line, apparently - mostly, I believe, in the core of the men’s models.

I also share your impression of the venerable Aura - which I have tried in various lengths and model years. My words precisely. Many would disagree (some perhaps vehemently?), but therein lies the power of getting on a ski to see for oneself.

Hope you’ll be happy with the Chams, good luck.
(I demo’d the 166, I’m 5'6 and thin. No problems.)

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great purchase! I demoed the 2016 Cham 87 last Spring and really enjoyed it. The five-point design makes the ski so versatile. It is a lot of fun. I also demoed the Glory by Dynastar in the 78 and am wanting to try the 84. I don't need another 78 width ski, but the 84 was not available in my length preference. Loved that ski too. Honestly, for a girl who was not having any jollies with Dynastar skis several years ago, I must say I am now a FAN.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to say I am increasingly tempted! Will wait for more reviews and probably get them in January once sales start. I want Barons and skins for them, so need to save at least little bit on skis. They seem like a good option for short ascents that might be needed during off-piste days when a full-on technical set-up is an overkill and downhill performance is important. We are planning to do another safety course, and ascents are typically very short during these, but I would appreciate regular boots and more alpine-like bindings on a descent if I remember correctly from last time.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought the Cham 87 last year (yes, the bright pink ones!) Took a huge chance, ordered online, without demoing first.

They were so much fun in all the snow we had last winter! My other ski is a narrow, ice and hardpack ski, and I always struggled if there was any fresh snow or crud - even a few inches would throw me off. What a year to buy these skis! My only issue is that I think I could have bought them a bit longer (I have 159s) They ski a bit short with all the rocker. But not a deal breaker - still super fun in the fresh snow. Hoping for another snowy winter here in the northeast!

I don't love them on ice - but I have my other "ice skates" for those days....and we usually get a lot of them LOL

Have fun with the new skis!

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So my skis have arrived in the shop, however I am going to wait till next week to get them as I am in an exam at the moment until Monday. I don't want to mess with my skiing by changing skis while I'm concentrating so hard on things, so I'll wait until then to get on them. I'll report back. They should be fun in the spring snow. We are in the last month or so of the season here.

Good luck and as your reward for doing so well on your exams you have a great new pair of skis to try next week. Now that's something to look forward to.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Beautiful powder day today, would have loved to have those Chams! however I thought I did pretty well on my carvers . We got a few fab runs in before we had to get down to business - demos and practise teaching.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck and as your reward for doing so well on your exams you have a great new pair of skis to try next week. Now that's something to look forward to.
well lets just hope I am celebrating - I wasn't really that well prepared for this exam with the injuries I've had this season, my short turns are not that great and I have to get through a skier analysis interview which I'm unsure about - actually I'm unsure about everything!!!

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you doing part II NZSIA? Hope it went well.One of my friends did it a couple of years ago.She got so good at skiing slowly and perfectly and her skiing in general improved so much.It made me consider it but in the end I decided to live with my occasional A framing,low arms and dead spots in my turns!

mustski

Angel Diva
@NZfarmgirl Good luck on your exams! Also, everyone seems to report on the nice, short turns of the Cham 97. Certainly, my biggest complaint with my Auras have always been the need for big, wide turns. I still love the Auras, but I have added Hell's Belles which are great for short radius turns (at least as mid fats go!).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna