• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I don't wear a helmet because I don't look good!

SkiGoddess

Diva in Training
As a woman of a certain age, I have to admit that vain as it may sound, I simply refuse to wear a helmet because I look so awful! Can anyone offer any hints on more glamorous helmets to suit the St Moritz crowd? Thank you!

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a woman of a certain age, I went to the Dr. for several years and he would recommend a colonoscopy for me and I always refused. Finally one time he said to me, " Don't get one. It's a stupid way to die. But, if you don't want one, don't get one." I signed up that day.

I figure I look better in a helmet than a neck brace. And I am surely not ready to die.:wink:

MissySki

Angel Diva
For me, it is all about just protecting my head. Honestly one of the things I love so much about skiing is the solitude and anonymity. When it's cold and not one bit of the skin on my face is showing because of gator, goggles, helmet etc. no one knows who is who. I love that I'm in such a vast place, yet I feel "almost invisible" which is such a nice change of pace from my usual hectic lifestyle! lol I always say that skiing would be the best hobby for famous people because they have a built in full proof disquise if they want to.

I'm not trying to downplay your concerns, and I'm not sure about better looking helmets because I just got one that fit my head and had speakers built into the ear covers, becasue I was positive I would never look too cute in a helmet period lol. Now though, I don't even think about it, I don't think it adds any attraction, but I don't think it detracts either, I think it just is, and they are so common now that I certainly don't scrutinize how it makes anyone look. Your safety is so important, I hope you will be able to find a helmet you can feel comfortable in! :becky: Plus remember that you always are more critical of yourself, and no offense, but when I'm skiing it is about the skiing and me, I don't pay attention to what people are wearing, I just don't care enough, this may be kinda self absorbed but I assume a lot of others are the same way.. I doubt anyone is judging you out there besides yourself :noidea:

Jilly

Staff member
Keep looking I'm sure there is one helmet out there that looks good and fits. I find mine so comfortable and warm, I feel naked without it.

Keep away from racing type and look for soft ears and lots of vents. Mine is Salomon, but it might not be your style or fit.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm starting to think that people NOT wearing helmets look a bit old-fashioned. (And that goes for all the CSIA level fours who go unhelmeted!)

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To me, those that don't wear helmets are the ones that look weird. Maybe it hasn't gotten as common in St. Moritz but around here the majority of regular skiers wear one. Now that I started wearing one 5 years ago I feel naked without it and never think about how I look with it on. Or you can have fun with it and create a style with it kind of like my pigtails. I can't tell you how many people have stopped me on the mountain to tell me they love my hair! So do something with your hair, add bling with rhinestones and/or stickers, make it your own.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I choose to wear a helmet, because(initially) I thought it was a good example to the kids I ski with. Later I found that it was just a whole lot more comfortable, warm, yet ventilated for spring skiing, and that doesn't even touch on the sense of safety I feel.

On the other hand, several of my ski friends who choose to not wear a helmet have their own reason, which I don't debate with them, and it doesn't cause me to have any less respect for them.

Question: Why do you feel a need to search for a helmet at this point in your skiing? Whatever that reason is, should be enough for you to overcome the vanity issue and help you find a suitable helmet to fit your needs.

FWIW, there are some awesome ski helmets out there that are stylish, and functional. Try as many on as you can to make sure it fits your style, head shape and needs......Good luck!

abc

Banned
As a woman of a certain age, I have to admit that vain as it may sound, I simply refuse to wear a helmet because I look so awful! Can anyone offer any hints on more glamorous helmets to suit the St Moritz crowd? Thank you!
Well, just look around at what people are wearing. It maybe you who're behind the fashion curve! Helmet look is IN these days. Be the first in your crowd to wear the newest fashion!

Not wearing a helmet is quickly looking ancient.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you want something really "bling".....check these out!
web.jpg

Ice Coture
https://www.luxist.com/2010/02/27/ice-coutures-crystal-encrusted-ski-helmets/

Bing

Angel Diva
I carry a small knit touque to slip onto my head in the chalet because the helmet really messes my hair, but on the slopes, I love my helmet, matte black with tortise shell inlay - divalicious !! (It's a Giron Omen)

Allie

Certified Ski Diva
I added a tiara and a line of rhinestones along the strap ridge in the back of one of my helmets. It doesn't help with ugly helmet head hair when you take it off but it does make you feel less like a clone when you are wearing it.

I admit I bought my first helmet out of peer pressure. In the PNW it is very rare to see someone not wearing a helmet. You really stand out. I didn't like how I looked with a helmet on my head. I tried on dozens of helmets before I finally found one I was OK with (or I just got used to the helmet look).

I also suffer from severe helmet hair issues after removing my helmet. My hair is stuck to my head and looks stringy. Solutions that have worked for me in no particular order: (1) cloth hairband; (2) ponytail; (3) french braid(s); (4) knit scull cap; (5) ball cap (my favorite); (6) small comb in my ski pant leg pocket (and on occasion a hairspray soaked thin cloth wrapped in plastic). You can put a knit hat or ball cap in your ski locker or street boots if you don't want the bulk in your jacket.

My suggestion is keep trying on helmets until you find one you like or get used to the look.

I became "sold" on wearing a helmet after being hit from behind several times by snow boarders. On one occasion I was hit so hard I could hear a distinct cracking sound coming from my helmet when I hit the ground. That could have been my head. Wearing a helmet for me is just common sense now. I have since replaced that helmet with four other helmets in different colors and "looks".

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I simply refuse to wear a helmet because I look so awful!
I figure I'd look pretty awful in a wheelchair drooling on myself from a life altering head injury, too, so I always wear one.

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Went Without

Two weeks ago I went without a helmet for the first time in over ten years. Was late spring skiing and was trying to be cool. Of course, my friends chose that day to go down Wacky's run off the Lake Chutes at Breck (extreme terrain.) Made it down OK, but *several* skiers took me to task from top to bottom about being so dumba** as to be up there without a helmet. And they were right. I really did feel like a dumba**. First and last time I'll do that.:bag:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I figure I'd look pretty awful in a wheelchair drooling on myself from a life altering head injury, too, so I always wear one.

Good point. After 3 concussions (2 from bicycle crashes, 1 from skiing), and, considering that I also white-water kayak and occasionally knock my head on rocks when I roll my boat, I ALWAYS wear a helmet. I get the worst helmet hair in the world but I could care less. I just carry a baseball hat or a ski hat in my bag or coat pocket to put on when I take the helmet off.

abc

Banned
Two weeks ago I went without a helmet for the first time in over ten years. Was late spring skiing and was trying to be cool. Of course, my friends chose that day to go down Wacky's run off the Lake Chutes at Breck (extreme terrain.) Made it down OK, but *several* skiers took me to task from top to bottom about being so dumba** as to be up there without a helmet. And they were right. I really did feel like a dumba**. First and last time I'll do that.:bag:
I don't know.

1) I don't go down stuff I don't feel like going down! The "feel" could be: snow-condition/body-condition/no-helmet (in "helmet likely benefitial zone", e.g. trees)!!!

2) But if I do decide to go down something without helmet, I'm at peace with it. Whatever other think, I'll tell them to get lost and mind your own business (or go hit your helmeted head against a tree!)

Bottom line: helmet is warm (in cold temperature). Helmet is COOL (in fashion). Helmet can also be useful (against trees or other people's skis). And helmet is MY OWN BUSINESS!!!

Windee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Helmet issues..

I used to NOT wear a helmet.. knew I should get one, but..
Then, I took a fall, head bumped down the slope as my skis did a snowplow in front of me as they pulled me down the trail. A long way.:doh:
Got up, didn't like the way I felt, woozy and beat-up. Realized that moment that the helmet was not just an accessory. Went and got one the next day.
If you're a big girl, and I assume that you are, get over the way you think you look; if you want to minimze the chances of a serious head injury, go get one. The hell w/ helmet hair. Period. Live to ski another day.
Were it me, I'd go get one that wull serve its' purpose now - look for that special one in the meantime..

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
accident |ˈaksidənt|
noun
1 an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury

2 an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause

Find a large oak tree.
Stand about thirty feet away from that large oak tree.
Run as fast as you can towards that large oak tree.
Lower your head and head butt that large oak tree.
Notice how it feels when you hit that large oak tree while you were running as fast as you could.
How do you look now?

***Warning: Do not try this at home. It is for illustration purposes only.***

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna