• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

"I can't go today" whine thread...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was going to ski with someone from my lesson group today, but DH woke up with a painful knee and wanted to go home early. I looked into getting a ride from friends, but they weren't going to drive home until after the Superbowl, and that was going to get me home later than I wanted. So I went home with DH.

Honestly it's probably not a bad thing to take a chill day with all the stuff going on right now, but meh. And I meant to nap this afternoon, but I surfed the web the whole time instead.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Must work to ski...can't ski because of work...ugh.

13" over the last 24 hours...more coming tomorrow and there's little to no chance of me playing hooky. I really need to sit down and have a discussion with my boss about scheduling deadlines around powder days.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH has his rescheduled Private Pilot flight test Friday (the weather was too bad the first time), so we're not headed up till Friday night, but it's looking like the right call, anyway:

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 8.51.26 AM.png

Sunday may be the winner there, since Friday is so warm - Saturday will be dust on crust; maybe just crust for the morning.

That's the mid-mountain temp, not base, so it is *very* warm. WTF, Colorado - it's February!

I'll probably keep Friday as a vacation day - 70* in the front range is a nice opportunity to ride my bike for the first time since ... er ... it might have actually been 2015. I don't remember if I rode before the injury last May.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The mountain is closed for 40ºF weather, torrential rain, and winds up to 60mph. Ah, well...

I do get to go this weekend instead.

newboots

Angel Diva
I got a snow day off from work, so I was all excited to drive an hour (in this weather, 2 1/2 hours) to ski in powder. But -

Snow is falling at 2-3 inches/hour. While my car is great in snow, it is not 4WD or AWD. I have skied in a little bit of powder (about 4") before, on my second day on skis. I liked it because falling didn't hurt! I might manage it better now, but I'm not expert enough to really know what to do with it.

This is southern New England, so I know this is a rare chance. But I don't think it's worth the hazardous driving risk. Plus, I have to clean the house. :noidea: Lame.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I can't go today because we have 11 inches of new snow and it is POURING snow and no plows have been out and DH is in Nashville and I have to shovel and I still have to work from home today. Le sigh.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
I couldn't go today either - blizzard warning and 12 - 16" expected. Can't go tomorrow - will have to dig the car out. Wow - thunder snow happening now.

newboots

Angel Diva
Ahhh...the never ending dilemma. Need to clean, want to ski...the reason my house is in shambles for most (::cough:: all ::cough::smile: of the winter.

What's my excuse for spring, summer and fall?

I can't go today because we have 11 inches of new snow and it is POURING snow and no plows have been out and DH is in Nashville and I have to shovel and I still have to work from home today. Le sigh.

I couldn't go today either - blizzard warning and 12 - 16" expected. Can't go tomorrow - will have to dig the car out. Wow - thunder snow happening now.

It looks like the coast is really getting hammered! We will probably be all over by 12", but the forecasts along the coast call for terrible winds and more snow even tomorrow.

I'm not such a great skier that I would know what to do in these conditions, anyway, and I won't be able to see anything as the snow freezes to the goggles (and when I give up on the goggles, the glasses). However, it still seems like a better day to be at the mountain than vacuuming.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
We probably have blizzard conditions now. The wind is ramping up and we can't see the ocean anymore - we live on the ocean and have about 270 deg of ocean view. Estimated 10 - 12 ft waves at high tide this morning and rising. Haven't checked the "B bouy" for wave heights and wind speed.
Skiing would not be much fun today but tomorrow - it should be great - too bad I have to shovel out - snow isn't expected to end until around 9 or 10 tonight.

Christy

Angel Diva
The mountain is closed for 40ºF weather, torrential rain, and winds up to 60mph. Ah, well...

Bachelor?

Plus, I have to clean the house.

Ahhh...the never ending dilemma. Need to clean, want to ski...the reason my house is in shambles for most (::cough:: all ::cough::smile: of the winter.

No way guys! As long as the skiing is good, you won't regret skiing. But you might regret staying home to do chores you're just going to have to do again (and again, and again). Or there is my method, take advantage of having the people and the dog out of the house on a ski trip for a few days and have cleaners come over to do a real thorough clean while you're gone.

newboots

Angel Diva
Bachelor?

Hah! No, Berkshire East, in Massachusetts.

No way guys! As long as the skiing is good, you won't regret skiing. But you might regret staying home to do chores you're just going to have to do again (and again, and again).

But there's company coming, see https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...nd-themselves-single-how-do-you.21056/page-23

Or there is my method, take advantage of having the people and the dog out of the house on a ski trip for a few days and have cleaners come over to do a real thorough clean while you're gone.

Now, that's an awesome idea!

It really is unsafe to drive today. I'm okay with my decision. Now, if I could find some cleaning folks to come out in this weather . . .

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I might manage it better now, but I'm not expert enough to really know what to do with it.

Honestly, you're probably not wrong. The first few powder experiences of more than 5" can be ... rough.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Snowing like crazy...too bad the closest mountain is 4 hours away! They are predicting 12-16" with 20-30 mph winds. So far the prediction is looking correct. I am using the snow day to clean house and pay bills so I can be free to make the drive to Windham over the weekend.

Tvan

Angel Diva
14 inches. It has stopped snowing here, but the wind is wild.

newboots

Angel Diva
*Westerners please ignore snow totals. No laughing!

Just finished shoveling. It is light, so that much is good. So much better than shoveling slush! Nonetheless, a foot deep and a long, long sidewalk. Not to mention what the plow left, 4 feet of it, heavy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna