• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

"I can't go today" whine thread...

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't go today because it's snowing too hard. Again. Hoping to get out tomorrow, depending on how much we get and when the plow comes.
Not being able to go skiing because of the snow is, like, the worst... But, I guess we shouldn't really complain; the last few seasons, it felt like skiing was a dying sport in the Pacific Northwest.

We had freezing rain here overnight, which means it's frozen road all the way up to the mountain today. It would have been great once we got there, but it would have been rather hellish to and fro.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowed on Sunday night...AGAIN. I'm glad it's snowing, but why always at the beginning of a work week so I don't get to play in it? *whine*

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Because I had to get to work (and because it wouldn't be worth it to call a spontaneous powder day since my knee can only do a little bit), I lost a lot of time yesterday just sitting around refreshing traffic info and pondering options and discussing with friends over texts and phones, then lost sleep worrying, then got an early start and drove home, AWAY from the massive storm I'd been sitting in.

This season reminds me of the big one about 5 years ago, the one where I really learned to ski powder because there was so much of it. Except my circumstances are different ... *super whine*

a_banana

Certified Ski Diva
You can also take a bus from Boulder so that you don't have to deal with parking.

Thanks, that's a great idea! And I did see the bus pass by, a couple of times, when I was in line and thought to myself - ooooooh, lucky! Then again, it's kind of a lot of commitment, time-wise for a hill that I don't know well and haven't ever had a great experience on, but I'll keep it in mind for next time.

newboots

Angel Diva
I am a finalist for a job that may not allow me to flex any more. I don't really have a choice of not taking it if I get an offer - I really need to be working. If that happens, it's possible skiing will be over for me. The weekends are impossible. DH really wants to move because it's just too crowded here now. It would probably take us a year or so to get to a place where we could do that. It makes me want to cry. I hate what my home state is becoming.

Oh Jane, sounds dreadful! I hope you can find a way to make it work!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will ski today but want to go to Copper. However, Vail Pass is closed due to an avalanche that took out 3 tractor trailer trucks early this morning. Traffic to Copper is backed up to Officer's Gulch.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an overall sadness about this AMAZING SNOW SEASON, and me relegated to easy runs. It's not as bad as I thought, but it's still kinda bad.

I hope there's still some good snow when I feel comfortable expanding my terrain choices.

I guess it sort of distracts me from the fact that after an almost full season funemployed and another season with a month off, I don't have any such arrangements this season. (World's tiniest violin)

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not skiing today because 2 days of powder on blue groomers beat me. My excuse, I didn't get the early season WROD skiing that gets me back in shape and ready for these powdery conditions. Today would be day 10 for the season, whereas, I'm normally at 25+ by this time of year.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I didn't go today as the north side of Tremblant never opened. Heavy snow, winds, power outages were problematic it seems.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm kind of flummoxed as to what to do for this weekend. Lots of variables.

What makes it hardest is that we only have one parking space at the condo. It's possible, although sometimes a pain, to get a visitor pass for one of the three spots at the back. You know, if they're not completely covered in snow. (But I just called, and apparently the management company has changed, and I have now reached out to our landlord ... argh!)

DH has a lesson scheduled for Friday, so ideally he goes up Friday. I was planning to take a vacation day Friday, but with the mother of all colds - even though I'm recovering, I'm not sure it's worth a PTO day, especially since I took one last week because I was sick.

DH also has vacation scheduled next Weds-Fri because of friends coming to town.

The original plan was clear: We take my car up Thursday night. I drive home Sunday night with the dogs, work at the office next week, drive up either Thursday or Friday. DH stays in the mountains, works from there Monday and Tuesday, then has the rest of the week off. He can take the bus for groceries etc if needed.

I also have a Sunday appointment for my AT boots, but I can postpone that pretty easily. I *want* my boots to be done, but there's no actual urgency.

Now, I'm sick, but getting better, and I'm just not sure what to do. DH could drive up Thursday night so he can attend the lesson. He would have to take the dogs and deal with them by himself, so ideally then I would ride up with our friends Friday evening. I'm not contagious, but pretty snorfle-y still.

Do I want to go up, for either Friday or Saturday? I've been sleeping in the guest room - not an option at the condo. I guess I can bring the neti pot. Altitude tends to make congestion and unpleasantness worse. I do have a lesson on Saturday, and I've been getting a lot out of those.

I think if it weren't for the lesson, I'd be pretty sold on staying home this weekend. But then DH doesn't have a car. Argh!

I really need to find out if the parking pass is an option. There is also the possibility of an overnight lot outside of town. There's an ice rink that previously had overnight parking, but DH says it's not listed anymore. I shall inquire ...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, I was able to ask a neighbor who lives there, get the management company on the phone. They say as long as we have a unit parking pass, we can park in the restricted spaces without getting towed.

This seems like a risk for "tragedy of the commons," where people would buy two cars and keep them up there, but it sure makes things simpler. We always have the overnight lots as backup if these are taken.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do I want to go up, for either Friday or Saturday? I've been sleeping in the guest room - not an option at the condo. I guess I can bring the neti pot. Altitude tends to make congestion and unpleasantness worse.
I would choose to just go anyway--rather be sick there than here--but sounds like that's not necessarily the best choice for you. How about we all hope you get better soon, and you will be well enough by later tomorrow to make your decision? :hug:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would choose to just go anyway--rather be sick there than here--but sounds like that's not necessarily the best choice for you. How about we all hope you get better soon, and you will be well enough by later tomorrow to make your decision? :hug:

Thank you!

I think with the latest information - which I find suspicious - from the management company, DH should drive up in his sedan, and I can follow with the dogs - or not - Friday night.

Jilly

Staff member
Parking is a PITA. We get 2 passes, only one space is marked for the unit. There are 3 extra parking spaces. So weekends, unless you'll there Thursday night, forget it. There is a whole other lot, but you need access from the management etc. If we have visitors and no visitor spot, I park my truck in the next lot. Same group, but no designated spots for those owners.

Just go up and enough what you can.

That said, I have 2 VIP tickets for the World Cup Mogul Competition at Val St Come, Quebec on Saturday. And as of yesterday morning, no one to go with me. I am not driving into the "boonies" of Quebec by myself. So I guess that's not going to happen.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Fluffy Kitty - honestly if I'm not feeling well, I'd rather be in our large house with no dog walking responsibilities, at lower altitude and with more light, than being in the mountains in a small, dark condo with the requirement to deal with the dogs.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm glad I texted our neighbor. He sent me a picture of our parking spot COMPLETELY filled with snow. The g*d* plow guy does this when there's lots of snow and we're not there. He's also run the plow between the two cars in that spot, leaving a wall of hardened snow attached to my car that I had to break down. But that's not nearly as bad.

So I called the management company, and they said they'd take care of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna