• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many of these "old school" ski areas have you skied?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Yes, Sugar ~tries~ to be something more, but they've actually driven me away. When they added the "six-pack" they eliminated the mid station loading and 3/4 unloading, forcing everyone for both the main run and the new blue/black Gunther's to start through the narrow section at the top. On weekends it's nearly suicide. I don't find it safe in any way. : (

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's an updated list of "old school" ski areas. Remember it's not meant to be a comprehensive list, but just a collection of places mentioned by Divas in this thread. Go check one out in your region to see if you find a low key vibe, family friendly atmosphere, and less worry about lift lines for lower cost lift tickets. Don't expect high speed lifts though. Can be good places to learn for children and adults.

CANADA
Québec: Devil's Elbow, Edelweiss, Mont Blanc, Mont Gabriel, Mont Garceau, Mount Olympia, Mont Ste Sauveur, Mont Sutton,Owl's Head, Vorlage
Whitewater, BC - 1200 acres

MORE THAN 500 ACRES

Mt. Bohemia, MI
Alta Ski Area, UT
Beaver Mountain (family-owned), UT
Brian Head, UT
Brighton Resort, UT
Powder Mountain (restricts number of day tickets), UT
Echo, CO
Loveland, CO
Monarch, CO
Powder horn (near Grand Junction), CO
Sunlight Mountain (near Aspen), CO
Wolf Creek, CO
Bridger Bowl (non-profit), MT
Turner Mountain, MT
Lost Trail Pass, MT
Lookout Pass, ID/MT
Grand Targhee, WY
Bogus Basin, ID
Brudage, ID
Pebble Creek (near Pocatello), ID
Pomerelle (500 acres), ID
Schweitzer Mountain, ID

Soldier Mountain (cat skiing, 100% natural snow), ID
Mt. Spokane, WA
White Pass, WA
Anthony Lakes (cat skiing), OR
Dodge Ridge, CA
Homewood Mountain Resort (views of Lake Tahoe), CA

LESS THAN 500 ACRES

Mount Abram, ME
Shawnee Peak (formerly Pleasant Mountain), ME
NH: Cannon, Cranmore, Ragged, Tenney, Wildcat

VT:
Ascuteny - non-profit
Mad River Glen (coop ownership)
Bolton Valley, Cochran's Ski Area, Dartmouth Skiway, Magic Mountain, Suicide Six
MA: Nashoba Valley (near Boston), Ski Butternut

Powder Ridge, CT
Yawgoo Valley, RI
Central NY: Greek Peak, Labrador, Plattekill, Song, Swain
Upstate NY: McCauley, Mt. Royal, Thunder Ridge, Titus Mountain

West PA (drive from Pittsburgh or DC):
Blue Knob; Laurel Mountain
East PA (drive from Philly or DC):
Elk; Jack Frost/Big Boulder; Montage; Roundtop; Shawnee Mountain
Timberline, WV
Winterplace, WV
Appalachian, NC
Cataloochee, NC

OH in general

Maverick Mountain, MT
Pine Creek, WY
Ski Cooper, CO
Sipapu, NM
Bluewood, WA
Summit East at Snoqualmie Pass, WA
Loup Loup Ski Bowl (non-profit), WA
Mount Ashland (non-profit), OR
Mt. Waterman (weekends only), CA
Yosemite Ski&Board formerly Badger Pass, CA

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I need to get out more- I've only skied 3 on that list. Ragged Mountain, Bolton Valley, and Nashoba Valley.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What ski area has free mini-lessons for beginners? A 3-lesson package (3 weeks in a row) that leads to a season pass? Has two triples? About 275 feet vertical?

Hint: it's in Iowa.

I'm guessing that Seven Oaks in Boone, IA is old school. It's a family-owned 4-season recreation area that opened up in the late 1990s. The man who bought the land that included some defunct ski slopes believed in the idea so much that he ended up selling another rec property in favor of developing Seven Oaks with his son as GM. They built up the business enough by 2007 to keep on chugging after slump in 2008 that were difficult times for the ski industry from a business standpoint. Lots of creativity in the choice of activities to make use of the place year round.

https://www.sevenoaksrec.com/about-us/

Seven Oaks has a webcam. Open extended days on weekends and for night skiing and tubing Wed-Fri. Iowa State in Ames is 30 min away from Seven Oaks.

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh wow.. I've only been to the old school resorts. I like them smaller (and cheaper).. that whole teacher thing makes low cost a big seller!

And they’re so much friendlier!

marzNC

Angel Diva
VT:
Ascuteny - non-profit
Mad River Glen (coop ownership)
Bolton Valley, Cochran's Ski Area, Dartmouth Skiway, Magic Mountain, Suicide Six
MA: Nashoba Valley (near Boston), Ski Butternut

Newer list left off Suicide Six, VT

And I believe Quechee, VT should qualify...
I changed the format slightly to avoid having such a long post. So not every place is on a separate line.

Will add Quechee although it's mostly only open Fri-Sun, with midweek for holiday weeks only.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I would add Mohawk Mountain, CT to the old school list. 112 acres, 650 vertical, 25 runs, 8 lifts, with a booming ski school. Family-run for 70 years. Every ski instructor that I’ve ever had anywhere always knows Mohawk for one reason or another. The lodge, despite improvements in recent years, still hails from 1965 in ambiance and you could strip to your skivvies in the lodge, or arrive in your jammies and nobody would blink. There was a lovely older couple who used to come early with their picnic basket and a thermos of coffee to have breakfast together before they skied on ancient equipment. Haven’t seen them recently. Really, the place is totally charming, albeit tiny.

I second the addition of Dartmouth Skiway, and Middlebury College Ski-bowl as well. I took my first ever ski lesson at Dartmouth with a retired professor who totally “got me” as an adult beginner. We’ve pretty much skied every winter weekend since.

Wheat about Catamount in MA? Any regulars here who would consider it old school?

I agree that Belleayer should make the List. Family-friendly, casual atmosphere, 1970s lodges, apres in long johns, picnic tables... and blessedly overlooked in favor of Windham / Hunter... seems to fit the definition of old-school.

That said, I’ve skied a few from the list:
Mohawk, Elk, Dartmouth, Butternut
Plus Catamount and Belleayer (if added)

One thing I love about this thread is how nostalgic everyone is about their “old school” experiences. Sure the big places are fun, but these old school places remind me of why I love to ski.

Live4Powder

Certified Ski Diva
I've been to a few "old school" resorts. Plattekill was like stepping back into the '70s, with it's small 2 person chairs, ungroomed runs and the resort itself was filled with families with kids just hanging out. Even the ski passes they gave you were old school.

Others would be Gore Mountain and Belleayre. Same feel. Shawnee Mountain in eastern PA is yet another.

I've never been to Cooper Mountain in Leadville, CO but I'm told it's one of the last of the old school resorts here. I personally like A Basin because it has that small local resort feel as well.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Definitely worth a day! It's got 2000' vertical and fun trails to explore. Great views from the top and an old timey lodge. If you get a powder day - go to Sunlight! The Aspen 4 will be quickly skied out but you can make powder turns at Sunlight well into the afternoon. Plus you can't beat the price. :smile:

Thank you for the recommendation!

Yes, I did visit Sunlight in Glenwood Springs on my first day out west couple weeks ago. I enjoyed it very much, esp. the local vibe. Funny thing was, when I skied the Aspen 4, I asked many people (locals & visitors) if they've ever skied (or heard of) Sunlight mtn. None has, except one french couple. But then the wife said she did not enjoy Sunlight because the day she visited was a powder day, and she did not know how to ski powder... (I got nothing to say after I heard that....)

marzNC

Angel Diva
I feel like there are so many other little areas you are missing. I'm not quite sure what makes them old school. I can think of a few more but know there are so many out there. Its hard to know what places are still open or have gotten super commercialized if you haven't been recently. If you are looking to compile a list here are some of my suggestions of places to check out:
Big Birch/Thunder Ridge in NY (https://thunderridgeski.com/) - this is where I learned to ski as a kid
Snow Valley in Running Springs CA near LA (https://www.snow-valley.com/)
Greek Peak in upstate NY (https://greekpeak.net/)
Bolton Valley, VT (https://www.boltonvalley.com/the-mountain/snow-report-and-maps/maps)
Big Tupper, NY
Holimont, in upstate NY (https://www.holimont.com/)
Swain in upstate NY(https://swain.com/) - where I skiied in college
Never looked at the details about Swain before today. The place is bigger than I expect with 120 acres. Apparently added a few trails in recent years.

Turns out that the man who installed the original snowmaking system is still very much involved in snowmaking. Robin Smith is in his 70s and working for TechnoAlpin, one of the bigger companies that makes snowmaking equipment. He started out as a ski instructor at Swain and ended up owning the place for 20 years.

May 2017 interview about snowmaking
https://www.powder.com/stories/interviews/robin-smith-snowmaking/

marzNC

Angel Diva
The classic New England "old school" ski area is fundraising. Mad River Glen is in the process of raising $6.5 million in the Preserve Our Paradise campaign. Was about half way there as of the end of May. MRG is profitable on an annual basis. But not enough to build up the money needed for major capital projects needed. While a few projects will happen in the next year or two, the idea is to raise the money first and then complete all the projects by 2022.

May 29, 2018
"This summer we have five projects scheduled that will be funded by the campaign, including renovations to the Birdcage; a new high-pressure snowmaking pump to further enhance our snowmaking capability; trail crew work; new culverts and bridges; and important safety and efficiency upgrades to the Practice Slope Chair. We’re proud of what’s been accomplished so far, but our biggest projects are yet to come, and we still have over $3.2 million left to raise to meet our $6.5 million goal."

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Sadly, I have only skied 4 of them.

Wildcat Mountain, NH
Sunlight Mountain, CO
Alta Ski Area, UT
Brighton Resort, UT

However, we did ski several small East Coast areas when we started out: Big Vanilla, Sterling Forest, Powder Ridge, and Vernon Valley/Great Gorge.

I believe that Sterling Forest had a vertical drop of 100', and Big Vanilla and Powder Ridge were about 300 vf. Not sure if these 3 areas even exist anymore.

marzNC

Angel Diva
However, we did ski several small East Coast areas when we started out: Big Vanilla, Sterling Forest, Powder Ridge, and Vernon Valley/Great Gorge.

I believe that Sterling Forest had a vertical drop of 100', and Big Vanilla and Powder Ridge were about 300 vf. Not sure if these 3 areas even exist anymore.
Powder Ridge is doing fine, partially because of a good variety of summer activities like mountain biking and disc golf. What's unusual is that they can also offer skiing without snow. Last year they installed plastic to allow year round skiing. More importantly, race training is possible without waiting until it's cold enough for snowmaking. I stopped by last fall to take a quick look. Got to see the Ski School Director take a couple runs. Short and fast carving!

Powder Ridge 2017 plastic slope - 2.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wheat about Catamount in MA? Any regulars here who would consider it old school?
I stopped by the Catamount base earlier this year after ski season was over. Definitely felt old school. I don't think that will change, but the new owners wasted no wasted no time getting construction and renovations started once permits were approved this summer. The update posted on the Catamount in Sept 2018 includes pictures of a new roof going on the main lodge, work for the new triple for beginners, excavation for a new base lodge, and a new 10" pipe for snowmaking water. More snow guns and two new groomers will be available for the 2018-19 season. Even invested in a winch cat. The update is signed by the new owners Jim and Jon Schaefer (brothers, sons of Roy), not some marketing Director.

https://www.catamountski.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/SchaeferletterSept2018.pdf

". . .
Our primary objective was to complete phase 1 renovations in the Berkshire Lodge, build a new base lodge, add snowmaking and water storage capacity, install another triple chairlift in the Meadows area and upgrade the grooming fleet.
. . .
The Berkshire Lodge renovations started on Labor Day Monday with immediate attention to installing a new roof. New windows, flooring, lighting and furniture will follow throughout the fall. Preparations for the installation of a second triple chairlift in the Meadows area have been ongoing for a month with the clearing of the 2,500’ lift line and the widening of Upper Promenade. This Poma triple chair will be called the Promenade Triple and will rise approximately 550’ from the bottom of Colonel’s Caper and unload above Upper Promenade. Operation by opening day is our goal. Snowmaking pipe feeding the Meadows area trails arrived earlier this summer and will be installed in September and October.
. . .
On the snowmaking and grooming front we are scheduled to receive 80 new HKD snow guns and 5 SMI Pole Cats this fall. Two additional Prinoth grooming machines arrive this fall as well and will take good care of the great snow produced by these energy efficient snow guns. One of these vehicles is a winch cat that will be responsible for grooming the double diamond Catapult trail among others.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
The classic New England "old school" ski area is fundraising. Mad River Glen is in the process of raising $6.5 million in the Preserve Our Paradise campaign. Was about half way there as of the end of May. MRG is profitable on an annual basis. But not enough to build up the money needed for major capital projects needed. While a few projects will happen in the next year or two, the idea is to raise the money first and then complete all the projects by 2022.

May 29, 2018
"This summer we have five projects scheduled that will be funded by the campaign, including renovations to the Birdcage; a new high-pressure snowmaking pump to further enhance our snowmaking capability; trail crew work; new culverts and bridges; and important safety and efficiency upgrades to the Practice Slope Chair. We’re proud of what’s been accomplished so far, but our biggest projects are yet to come, and we still have over $3.2 million left to raise to meet our $6.5 million goal."
As of early Oct 2018, MRG still needs about $2 millions to reach the $6.5 million goal. Not bad to raise a million dollars over the summer but still a lot of fundraiser left to do. There was a $150,000 shareholder donation match challenge that ended in September.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna