• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hoping for a Happily Ever After - My Coper story

TTTrixie

Diva in Training
February 1, 2015 - fluke chair lift accident at Vail, Colorado. Super-slow motion fall twisting back over left leg - the person on my left caught their ski in mine.

Me: female 47 years old, 35 lbs + overweight but was doing 30 min high intensity elliptical for ski conditioning so my quads & cardio were decently active. Natural hyper-extension to knees. Intermediate skier that just got comfortable enough to ski a black diamond decently the day before this happened...
1. ACL - deficient
2. Grade 2 MCL sprain
3. Pivot shift - 2mm depressed tibial fracture over 3x1 cm area
4. Lateral meniscal contusion without tear
5. Quad and calf sprain and bruised ribs

The cute EMT's first words were ACL. They skied me down (on the black diamonds I may never get to ski) in a basket. MRI two days later filled us in on how bad it really was. I did lots of research immediately (found positive experience stories here - thank you). Just knowing it was possible to try to recover without surgery made it a goal. My even cuter ortho surgeon said his wife is my age, also tore her ACL and skis with a brace. He said the in-tact meniscus gave me a better chance. I had a ski trip planned first weekend of March - I had been looking forward to it all year. I wanted to see if I could ski comfortably and use that as decision factor for possible surgery in spring. I had sprained my MCL twenty years ago but the pain this time was avoidable with deliberate movements - another positive.

I only had to do crutches for two days - lots of swelling but minor knee pain the first month. Moderate knee pain increased as swelling decreased for a few weeks until things settled back to minor. Quad, calf and ribs hurt so much more and all the time. Wore neoprene knee sleeve and tried to fall in love with ice therapy. No pain meds - they make me nauseous. Each day was exhausting just getting normal daily stuff done and I work from home.

Started right away working on range of motion but not aggressively at all - I kept moving as much I could. PT was amazed with mobility after one week - slower pace walking but no limp. PT said she wouldn't even consider surgery at this time, (another very positive person). I was doing slow elliptical for 5 minutes and then balance exercises after first week then worked up to 15 min recumbent bike and 20 min elliptical 2/3 times a week at 4 weeks. I always had very good stability and did not have any experiences with my knee giving out. I allowed working out to be mildly painful and had to push through something different hurting everyday. I tried to ignore all the scary noises I would hear coming from my angry knee. I concentrated on form and tried to avoid overcompensating with my back and good knee. I was worried about gaining weight so I used cardio equipment almost exclusively (I tried those balance exercises but had zero motivation for them - no wonder PT makes you do them there while they watch). So, no surprise when I say I only saw PT twice and did the rest on my own constantly improving on the previous session's times/effort. I became very efficient with using my reduced energy for working out and most-necessary chores. I was surprised at how I was physically unable to keep going regardless of how mentally determined I was - for the first time in my life. I fought constantly to reduce the swelling - it was all the way to my ankle. I am sure moving more didn't help the swelling but I assumed moving would pay off in the end. I wasn't sure. I ate healthy, took vitamins/joint/anti-inflammatories - I didn't have one drink of alcohol all to avoid retaining fluid. I have a fitbit so I was able to monitor my activity and BPM constantly to at least do better than the day before - progress was slower than I expected based on all the great internet stories - but then I remember I am not an athlete, I'm just trying to work towards a goal of skiing a blue so I don't sit and focus on how much this whole thing really sucks.

With surgeon's final blessing (he even told me what runs to ski) I skied 5 weeks later with a don joy brace - mostly greens and a blue or two at Vail. The hardest part was sitting on the chair lift and a bar stool! I didn't have ROM to rest my injured leg on the foot rest - that was a little painful. I only did a few hours, took a day off and then did a few hours one more day since conditions got mushy. I recommend taking the Gondola down as once you are tired you are done. Of course I was terrified with first turn but I learned that turns were easier and fluid with decent speed on my second run. I was really proud of myself. I had the ability and but it was exhausting (walking with a swollen & braced leg in ski boots on cobblestone streets while carrying skis was jarring and mentally challenging!). I don't recommend such a quick return to the slopes but being determined did get me there. We had an early spring so my season was done after that trip but I feel well informed by the experience.

Three months from injury I am still recovering full ROM and my knee still feels stiff. It took two months to sleep comfortably. I am still improving. Currently I am walking 2-3 miles a few days a week and 20-30 min elliptical twice a week with recumbent/rower once a week. I have a mini trampoline that I slow-jog on once a week. Variety seems to be key to stay focused. I played golf last week - a par 3 without the brace and felt good - even got a par. I expect to have to workout at this level and increase it to be able to do all the things I did before.

I am putting off surgery for now and bought a season pass for next year.

mustski

Angel Diva
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. While you are waiting for next season, you can get acquainted here. We have quite a few CO divas here. You mentioned Vail; is that where you bought the season pass?

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world. Sorry that an accident got you to us, but glad to have you here!!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:welcome: You found a good spot to either get inspiration or commiseration, along with good smiles & laughs. After 25 posts, which doesn't take any time at all, you get to read the 'divas only' threads. Hang in there with the healing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@TTTrixie : thanks for sharing your story. Good for you for putting in all the effort into rehab and ski conditioning. Took me about 4 months before things felt more normal in terms of ROM and balance. As you may have seen in my on-going thread about being a coper, once I got back on the slopes after rehabbing over the summer/fall, I had a very good time.

TTTrixie

Diva in Training
Hi everyone - thank you for the warm welcome :smile:

I am in Denver Colorado so I had an Epic pass this season - I did downgrade to Epic - local for next year. I skied A-Basin, Vail and Breckenridge this year and Loveland for a few days last year.

I have been talked into skiing tomorrow at Arapahoe Basin but I am only doing greens (8" in past 3 days!). It will be interesting to see what everything feels like now after 3 months with much less swelling compared to a month ago. I had drastic ROM improvements in the past month. My brace is comfortable it really does give me enough confidence to believe that my leg probably won't snap in half :smile:

Yes @marzNC - I did read all of your entries & your stories were an inspiration. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna