• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help with fischer soma zephyr boot question

goodcat

Certified Ski Diva
I tried on the Fischer Soma Zephyr 90. Unbelievable, it fits right out of the box (never happened to me before). However, the flex rating (90) is very similar to my old boots (Dalbello Elektra 8, 85). I wanted something with more edge hold. However, I cannot find the next model up in stiffness (the 100) in my local shops, and would have to buy it off the internet. I hate buying stuff without trying it on. Has anyone ever done this? How do bootfitters feel about your coming in to their shop to get adjustments made (as I would have to when the boot gets packed out) when you bought the boot somewhere else?

If I bought this boot, would an 85 vs. 90 be significant enough for me to feel? Is a 100 flex too much boot for me? I mostly ski intermediate trails on a K2 Burnin Luv. However, I don't feel my boots have enough edge hold to drive my skis as hard as I would like. Thanks.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Flex ratings aren't standardized across different boot manufacturers, so, say, an 80 in one company could be the same as a 90 in another. The only way you'll know if the boot is too soft or too stiff is by how well you flex it when you ski on it. So don't worry too much about the numbers.

As for getting a boot adjusted at a shop where you didn't buy it, well, it varies. Some places will be happy to help you out with the small stuff, but expect most to charge you for any major adjustments.

If your concern is that you can't find a certain boot in stock, would your local shop be willing to order it for you?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
According to my experiences and this, your boots are likely not too soft for you, flex-wise (unless you're far outside the normal weight/strength/aggressiveness range for your height/ability). Instead, that particular model of boot may not be laterally stiff enough to drive a high-end ski like the Burnin, you may have fit issues that allow your foot and leg to slop around before transferring energy to the ski, or you may have technique issue that could be addressed with a lesson?

Since I'm 190+ and was in a Lange 100 until last year when I jumped to a 115, I'd think the 90 you tried on should be fine.

Have you had a professional fitting????? Proper fit is MUCH more important that arbitrary flex ratings.

goodcat

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, my old boot was fitted by the main boot guy in my local ski shop. It initially fit well, however packed out very quickly and had to be re-tooled after one season. However, after that adjustment, I don't have any heel lift whatsover and the toe box still feels snug without killing off circulation. I used that ski with Nordica Mints which is rated for beginner to intermediate. When I switched skis to the Burnin, it did not seem to be a good ski-boot match. I really have to power and lean into the ski to get it to carve well, which I found to be unexpected (and too much work...) -- maybe my expectations were not realistic, but I expected the Burnins to turn/carve beter. Am I just lazy? Too weak? Does this sound like something more lateral stiffness would help?

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know the Burnin Luv or the Dalbello boot, but if the issue is that you're having trouble driving a new ski, you might see whether the issue is technique rather than equipment--or if maybe the ski just doesn't work well for you. My approach--again, not knowing anything about anything--would be to take a lesson if I hadn't recently to see if there's something I was doing or not doing that would change the way the ski performs for me.

Perhaps that's rude, considering I don't know anything about your skiing except that you ski intermediate trails, but I had a great skiing breakthrough today that had me making really strong aggressive-feeling turns, even though I'm having some serious boot issues. All the credit goes to an old coot who took to me and decided I was ready to go to the next level even though he'd never met me!

Anyway, did you demo the Burnin, or any other skis? How did you pick them? Have you had a lesson so an instructor could see whether there's more you could do to drive them?

goodcat

Certified Ski Diva
Aside from what Litterbug said - which could be the case - did you ever consider that maybe your boots are just too big? If they're not fitting snugly, then you could be having trouble transferring your movements to your skis.

Maybe they were too wide in the toe box to begin with?

Yes, I do take frequent lessons. Probably about 9 times out in the last season (lessons varying from 2 hrs to all day).

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I just tried that Fischer boot on last week at Footloose in Mammoth; it fit and felt great! I was ready to take it out to demo except - I don't really need new ski boots!

The guy in the shop said it was an excellent boot and had really appreciated how it made his skis carve (he used the term "rail".). He also spoke about the fact that flex isn't that meaningful because it varies so much among different manufacturers. Of course he's an expert skier!

Can you demo the 90? I think it's an excellent boot. If you are at Mammoth, you could definitely demo it. Ask for Kevin as he's one of the best bootfitters. You could also call them and ask about the stiffer boot.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Oddly enough, I did not remember this thread but I do remember the boot. I was told they were one step below the Fischer Vacuum Fit, which I was interested in at that time.

I just skied 3 days at Mammoth and all my Technica Attivas were giving me a hard time. I took one pair in to Kevin at Footloose. He stretched the toe box but did not lessen my pain. I came home deeply depressed about my feet and skiing in painful boots all season.

I was browsing Ebay, and came across a new pair of the Fischer Soma, flex 90, in my size, for $60. Just received them today and they feel wonderful out of the box. My next ski trip will be very boot-oriented. I can swap out my footbeds and my Zipfit liners and see how they feel and how my control (or lack thereof) changes. If these work out, I will be looking at the Fischer line very seriously in the spring. It would be amazing if they did. I made the above comment 4 years ago, almost exactly. It's probably a sign, maybe a good sign or maybe a "you must be crazy" sign. I guess I'll report back after trying them out.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I skied the Fischer Soma boot today. The stance is a little different, and it took me 5 or 6 runs to get used to them. After that they were great, and I was able to make better turns because my toes didn't hurt.

Skied all day with no foot pain. Yay! Got custom insoles tonight at Footloose. Really looking forward to tomorrow, plus, it's snowing!!!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Had a fabulous day with the new boots, my Nordica fat skis, and 1-2 ft. of fresh light powder.

So thankful that I remembered the boot and that someone was selling it on EBay for such a fantastic price! Maybe it is kismet. It's certainly a very rare experience in most skiers' quest for a comfortable performance boot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna