• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me plan my first post-rehab "ski" trip

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Greetings Divas--wanted to see if I could enlist the collective wisdom of the forum to plan my first post-pelvic fracture "ski" trip.

The facts: I fractured my pelvis falling off a horse on December 24th, so Ive missed the entire season, and
I'm pretty bummed. It was 3 hairline and 1 simple fracture, no surgery. I started sport specific PT within two weeks of the injury and do my routine every day, my PT thinks Im doing amazingly well. I have an appointment with the sports med orthopedic guy to get cleared for all activities, and I think I will be. I can feel the injury but I'm not in anything more than occasional mild pain.

Having said that, I'm not eager to push the envelope on this. I'm trying to put together something along the lines of a "halfway-house" ski trip focusing on the Vail Vitality Center-ie, mostly working out rather than skiing. maybe getting out on groomers for a few hours if I can, but with the spa/workout options as a fallback if I can't.

Is there anyone I could hire for a couple of hours to ski with me? I'm not disabled, obviously, but I wouldn't be comfortable skiing alone. Sort of a combination ski guide/instructor/babysitter, really to make sure I don't get into trouble more than anything else.

My understanding is that the pelvic area can't be braced, but if anyone has any suggestions as to gear or supportive garments that might be helpful, I'dl love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you exclusively looking to ski at Vail?

This is actually pretty much what I am doing this coming weekend. My official 9 month post-op date is this Friday. That's when I am cleared to do anything I want to do, not just "careful, careful" skiing. I scheduled a private lesson for Saturday. The instructor has been skiing with me (in group lessons) all season. Unfortunately, the cost is prohibitive.

I could recommend a whole host of great instructors at Breck for a private lesson, but it's so expensive - especially if you only plan to ski a few runs.

I actually "cleared myself" last weekend - there is no doctor's visit for 9 months - and skied some terrain, but I used your exact term - "babysitter" - in talking about what I want. My situation is slightly different, but I'm also looking for someone to help me find a suitable terrain progression, to watch my form, to give suggestions, and to be there for me if I get into my head (although so far I've been very pleased with my reaction to escalating terrain and conditions).

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vail is the place I'm most familiar with and this "Vail Vitality Center" sounded like a good place for not-young, rehabbing skiers. I'm counting on having a free place to stay at Vail, which is what makes the whole thing doable. So I'm open to other places, but a lot of things would have to come together to make it possible.

The cost of private instruction is exactly the problem. One half-day and I'm maxed out financially. And it's still a whole lot to spend for a couple of runs.
When I skiied Courchevel, we a had someone called a "guide/moniteur" who didn't really teach but just made sure we didn't get into trouble. The Vail Vitality Center thought there might be people like this around, but it's all word of mouth since they're not Vail Mountain instructors. Anyone with ski patrol experience, for example--I'm looking for safety and a nice time in a cute ski town, no skiing breakthroughs this year or even progress.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Are you talking weekend or weekday or either? I was at Beaver Creek in January and they have a wonderful women's social tour Tuesday-Friday mornings at 10 or 10:30 ( sign for meet up place by bar patio at base of main lift) It's an hour and a half starting on green terrain and then split by skills. It might be just the thing for you! They send two or three instructors with you, depending upon the size of the group. P.S. It's FREE!

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds great and the price is right! Maybe I could do one private to get my ski legs back, then do the women's tour if feel up to it...there might even be something similar at Vail.

Does anyone know of an instructor at Vail ( or, I guess Beaver Creek) who might be good for someone in my situation? I 'm probably about a Level 7 skier, no great shakes but competent before the injury.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Oh crud, I wish I could remember her last name. Kathy, recently emigrated from Steamboat to Beaver Creek, 60 something, was my first guide and they give some instruction if you want it. I definitely "clicked" with her and would want her for an instructor. I, too, am a Level 7 skier.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
You don't show a location, but do you have even a little hill near you where you could ski for just an hour on two on green? That's how I started out post injury before going to a big resort... My first challenge was when at the top of the lift I saw the sign that says "tips up" and only one tip went up! :fear: After two short days locally, I headed for Steamboat believing that I I was~not~ out of my mind after all!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Maybe it will come to you!

Is this some kind of "Meet the Mountain" tour?
Not exactly; It's a combination of that, social and I think they hope it'll tempt you to take a lesson some time. We also got a goody bag the first day you do it. It's different instructors and a different tour each day, with the leaders telling you about their favorite places on the mountain.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found myself shockingly sensitive to other skiers the first few weeks I was back. I'm still much more antsy about other skiers than I was before the injury, even though the injury didn't involve other skiers.

Are you able to ski mid week? Beaver Creek is frequently less populated than Vail, too.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another +1 on being twitchy around other skier's - and although I fractured my pelvis skiing, it was not crowded and no other skier's involved. Ended my season (did it end of Feb) so well healed by Nov. What took me several runs was to stop being so upright, and to bend my knees and everything else.....worse than normal 1st day type of rustyness.
Good luck! Hope all goes well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna