• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Heart Rate Monitors

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
A few of us have been talking about triathlon training in another thread, but this question may need a broader audience. Anyone have any experience using a heart rate monitor to train for a bike, road, or tri? I'm contemplating making the purchase, and have been looking at the pricey Garmin GPS integrated models and some of the less pricey (but still not cheap) Polars.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

altagirl

Staff member
A few of us have been talking about triathlon training in another thread, but this question may need a broader audience. Anyone have any experience using a heart rate monitor to train for a bike, road, or tri? I'm contemplating making the purchase, and have been looking at the pricey Garmin GPS integrated models and some of the less pricey (but still not cheap) Polars.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

I have a Polar model that works just fine. But it doesn't have all the fancy stuff you can download to your computer and do the data analysis. It just gives you a summary of the workout time, time in your HR target zone, average HR and max HR. Which is plenty for basic training, I think.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Polar which I use during my regular excercise routines. It helps me monitor myself and keeps me in the zone. I know most of you don't have this problem, but many of the exercise DVDs are for much younger people. If I try to go full tilt, I am in an anaerboic state to say nothing of my heart rate. So, I like wearing mine.

I had a high end model sevral years ago and found that I only used a few functions. My new one has fewer bells and whistles and works fine for me. I got it on Steepand cheap for about $25.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Polar, base model (F60 maybe?) and it works fine. I don't really use it alot, because I do not follow a HR-based training regimen. I've found that it's easiest to tuck the chest-strap under my chest band of my sports bra so that it stays in place, and super-compressing sports bras do not work with it. The band is fairly comfortable though. If you are just looking for HR, then go for the cheaper version, but if you think you would have use for a fancier model, I've heard many people love their Garmins (plus you can track elevation and such, so could use it for skiing too!)

K.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also have a Polar just the basic HRM with no bells-Years ago I paid about 45 bucks for it. I only use it when I get bored with my training and need something else to spark my interest. I never use it while racing as I find it a big distraction.They can be of benefit to play around in different zones of training. Terry

first lift last call

Certified Ski Diva
Hey,

I have a polar, I think it is the S625X. Anyway, I have a shoe attachment for it and a bike attachment and it records various things for me (all the usual, speed, distance covered and tells me interesting things about my heart rate over the training session, if I can be bothered to faff about with it). I think it is the only polar one that does run and bike, at least that is available over here.

It wasn't cheap, but then nothing is in the UK. As a comparison, I got it for about 350 USD, and the cheapest one I could have got that just does heart rate would have been about 140 USD.

I'll be putting it on in a bit when I run home from the office!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a polar that I use when I ride my bike, and when I take spin classes in the winter. I bought a solo, which has more features, but its so stinkin' complicated to set up, I haven't taken the time work with it.

Sometimes less is more.;)

*I'll let you know if/when I actually work with the solo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna