• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Harb Carvers Anyone?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been reading about these street carvers designed by Harald Harb.
Have any of you ladies ever become acquainted with these skates? Has anyone been to one of his ski camps in Colorado?
I've thought about purchasing some Carvers for my husband, but don't know if he'll enjoy them enough for the cost. He has a Skiers Edge machine, but would love to do something outside as well.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The thing that puts me off is needing to use ski boots with them. I wouldn't really wanna put the miles on my boots.

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've watched his camp skiing around a-basin.

save .... your .... money .... please .... !

Everything he's teaching is on the website for free. All the other peripheral stuff is a crock designed to separate you from your money.

Here are my tips - and they're free.

1. Exercise all year long in a combination of workouts for strength (arms+core+legs), flexibility, balance and cardiovascular endurance. You can get all the equipment you'll need at home for less than $200. Some free weights, a balance ball and a bosu will make you super strong. Just walk out the door and you'll increase your cardio.

2. Spend the most money on good fitting boots, fit by an expert.

3. Try a bunch of different types of skis until you find something that works for you in a variety of conditions.

4. Stay aggressive in your stance. Arms forward, body facing downhill,hips forward and weight on the balls of your feet. Remain relaxed and loose. Once your muscles are tense, you can't respond to changes in terrain.

5. Your uphill and downhill legs should both be active in your turns. Your skis will work for you if you use the surface from underneath the foot to the tips. When you lean back, you lose control of what your legs are doing. If you can't feel the front of your boots, you are leaning back too far.

6. Learn to use your poles to establish your rhythm and initiate your weight change into your turns. In moguls, tap your pole on anything you want to ski around.

7. Dress properly for the day, remember less is more. A good start is 3 layers on top and two layers on the bottom, one pair of socks. No cotton anywhere. Consider a helmet. Always wear eye protection.

8. Keeps some spares handy. A spare layer, face mask, pair of gloves, goggles or glasses at the base (in your car or locker) can save the day. Especially if you've got kids in tow.

9. Take lessons. Good lessons do not need to cost a fortune! Skiing is not rocket science. When you pay excessive rates, you're really not paying for better quality, you're paying for exclusive company.

10. Smile and try not to take it all too seriously. You're going to fall once in a while, you may look silly at times. Who cares? Have fun! You may not be the best, but you're probably not the worst either. Remember, skiing is fun! Skiing is easy!

Jilly

Staff member
You know I find my in-lines just enough. Good workout if there is a wind off the bay. And I don't like the idea of using my boots too, especially in the summer. They get smelly enough in the cold weather. But its a neat idea and I'm sure there are people out there buying them.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I have been teaching skate to ski on Inlines for close to 20 yrs now.
I actually prefer the inline skate because it forces the student to balance more on the soles of their feet and to start their tipping with the feet. Besides you get a better arerobic workout with the inline skates. I kinda feel like using that platform is a crutch. Most people just need to learn how to correctly use their brakes, instead of just pushing their foot out in front of them.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've watched his camp skiing around a-basin.

save .... your .... money .... please .... !

Everything he's teaching is on the website for free. All the other peripheral stuff is a crock designed to separate you from your money.

Here are my tips - and they're free.

1. Exercise all year long in a combination of workouts for strength (arms+core+legs), flexibility, balance and cardiovascular endurance. You can get all the equipment you'll need at home for less than $200. Some free weights, a balance ball and a bosu will make you super strong. Just walk out the door and you'll increase your cardio.

2. Spend the most money on good fitting boots, fit by an expert.

3. Try a bunch of different types of skis until you find something that works for you in a variety of conditions.

4. Stay aggressive in your stance. Arms forward, body facing downhill,hips forward and weight on the balls of your feet. Remain relaxed and loose. Once your muscles are tense, you can't respond to changes in terrain.

5. Your uphill and downhill legs should both be active in your turns. Your skis will work for you if you use the surface from underneath the foot to the tips. When you lean back, you lose control of what your legs are doing. If you can't feel the front of your boots, you are leaning back too far.

6. Learn to use your poles to establish your rhythm and initiate your weight change into your turns. In moguls, tap your pole on anything you want to ski around.

7. Dress properly for the day, remember less is more. A good start is 3 layers on top and two layers on the bottom, one pair of socks. No cotton anywhere. Consider a helmet. Always wear eye protection.

8. Keeps some spares handy. A spare layer, face mask, pair of gloves, goggles or glasses at the base (in your car or locker) can save the day. Especially if you've got kids in tow.

9. Take lessons. Good lessons do not need to cost a fortune! Skiing is not rocket science. When you pay excessive rates, you're really not paying for better quality, you're paying for exclusive company.

10. Smile and try not to take it all too seriously. You're going to fall once in a while, you may look silly at times. Who cares? Have fun! You may not be the best, but you're probably not the worst either. Remember, skiing is fun! Skiing is easy!

Love these tips! Excellent advice! Good on ya, bklyn! :thumbsup:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I, too, just use mu in-line skates for summer training. They're fairly sport specific, fun, and way more versatile.

belle

Certified Ski Diva
My husband likes them. It simulates the ski flat base and edge changes better. The carvers also expose his alignment problem so he has his boots worked on after being on carvers several times. I think that is why you need to use your own boots. He was looking for a used pair initially because of the price. He could not find any so he concludes he could sell it for a little loss if he does not want it.

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Summer Soon

I thought I'd bump this topic up to see if anyone has any advice on buying in-line skates. There are so many different ones. Can anyone tell me what they use and why?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly