• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Good luck Skimom and BackCountryGirl

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I beat my realistic goal by 13 mins as well, and missed by personal goal by 2. Maybe next year. (OMG...did I really say that?):eek:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Yep, you're hooked! I'm hoping my foot resolves so I can be there next year as well.

As far as the numb toes, a couple things to look at. First, if you're using clipless look at your cleat placement. Second, bike fit. Third, try standing up on your pedals for a few seconds here and there. Often it's just a blood flow issue and if you get things moving again it will resolve.

Congrats to both of you for beating your goals. :D

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
itri - could you have been the one that made me take a second cup of water to pour on myself?? If so, thanks.

robyn - I definitely saw you

Thanks to both of you for volunteering. On a day that hot, everyone there looked tired. It was such a wonderful experience. Aside from a broken toe and overall sore body, I feel awesome. :yahoo:
:thumbsup::clap::yahoo: Yay, Shannon!!! Way to go, you're a triathlete!! Woohoo! You definitely saw me, and that may very well have been me, depending on when you went through. If it was earlier, I was out past the start line and timing mat, the last one handing out cups of water. If it was closer toward the end, I drifted back closer to the start line and was trying to get everyone to take as much water as they could, in whatever form they wanted. :becky:

I beat my realistic goal by 13 mins as well, and missed by personal goal by 2. Maybe next year. (OMG...did I really say that?):eek:
Um, yep, you sure did! It's addictive, isn't it?? I talked to several women on the long walk back to the car and every one of them was talking about doing it again! BTW, I just emailed you about a good sprint race at the end of September if you want another crack at that personal goal. :wink:

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And here's my Race Volunteer Report! :becky: It was a fabulous experience. I highly recommend volunteering! I firmly believe that everyone who races in any fashion should volunteer at least once, just to see how things work from the other side. It really gives you a different perspective on things and how much work it takes to put an event like this together.

For those of you not familiar, Tri for the Cure is a women's only triathlon here in Denver that benefits the Komen Breast Cancer foundation. This is a huge event...they had over 3500 registered participants yesterday, which is absolutely enormous for a triathlon. The Danskin triathlon series is another women's only triathlon (which I participated in last month), and is very similar, benefiting the Breast Cancer Research Fund. Due to the nature of these events, they attract a lot of first-timers, which is part of the beauty of them. Many, many women who you would never ever expect to see doing a triathlon are out there. And they do it. And become triathletes in the process! :love:

My volunteer experience started with my alarm going off at 3:45 yesterday morning. :faint:After I had been out at a party the night before and got to bed around midnight. Ouch. I was volunteering in the transition area, so we were the first ones that needed to be there, before athletes started arriving at 5. We got signs posted, trash cans distributed throughout the area, and then myself and another volunteer walked around for a little while. We had our handy-dandy permanent markers ready to body mark anyone who needed it (triathletes have their race number marked on their upper arm and leg so they can be identified on the swim and bike portions). By the time we had walked through (and answered a lot of questions from racers), the athletes were streaming into transition in full force, so we set up camp at the entrance where we could answer questions and do body marking. I spent about an hour and a half to two hours doing pretty much nothing but body marking. I had to squat down every time to mark the leg, and holy crow, do I feel it today! Not to mention the permanent marker fumes. I couldn't tell if I was loopy from lack of sleep or from the marker! :becky:

The first waves went off at 7 am, first the elite racers, followed by the breast cancer survivors. What amazing women! My fellow volunteers and I got the water station set up at the at the exit from transition to the start of the run, and that's where I spent the next 4 1/2 hours. Handing out cups of water, and yelling encouragement to every single woman that went by. The gratitude shown by the racers was so rewarding, and I know how much it means to have people cheering for you, so it was my mission to make sure that I didn't miss anyone!

After we received confirmation that the last racer was out on the run course, we helped clean up our water station and grabbed some trash bags to do a quick sweep through the areas of transition that had already been cleared out of by the racers. After that, I got the all-clear to head out (although we were down to just a few hard core volunteers at that point).

It was a blazing hot day, I spent 8 long hours on my feet, and my legs are still feeling it today, but I would (and probably will) do it all over again! I had one woman come up to me after the race and give me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek to say thanks. I had many, many racers tell me how much they appreciated me being there. :love: It was wonderful!

Skimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here is a link to a short video that describes the essence of this triathlon. Have a tissue handy!

https://www.triforthecure-denver.com/video.html

itri was there way earlier and stayed way later than I did! That is impressive!

I've never really done a report of any kind, but I'll give it a try:

Alarm went off at 5am...although because of nerves I didn't sleep much! I was, however, asleep when the alarm went off.

My friend picked me up a little after 6am...later than I would have liked, but she had to turn around and get her bike helmet that she forgot.:( so we didn't get to the reservoir till about 6:30...not too much time to set up. We were in different waves and got seperated right away. I got to my area and ran into a friend who is a seasoned triathlete. She helped me get acquainted and figure things out. It was so wonderful to have her there helping me! Her wave was right after mine, so we were able to be together until I got in the water. The water felt great, I was glad I did several open water practices. Once the crowd of women thinned out, I got into a good swim rhythm. Luckily they have men helping us out of the water, I was a little dizzy!

Walked back to my transition area...heard Robyn say two way traffic, etc...although I didn't know it was her! Got on my running shoes, skirt, helmet and sunglasses and off I went. The bike was good! I've been riding the course once a week for a month now, so I'm very familiar! About halfway, I looked down and realized I only had on one bike glove...oops! Made it up the one hill on the course and sailed through the rest. Got back to my area and made my way to the run!

Realized my toes were numb...got some water...again, didn't know it was itri giving it to me:wink:, possibly. Started to "run". My legs felt like I was running through cement, and it is uphill. Walked a little to get my bearing. As I was heading up the hill to run over the Dam road, worried that I would have to walk the whole way, I ran into my family who had just arrived to watch the finish! So I started running and just kept going! About halfway into the run I saw my friend who I signed up with and came with...hugged her and told her I would see her at the finish! It was so hot, and I really did want to cry. I'm not sure if it was because I was actually doing it, or because I wanted to stop, or if it was because I was thinking about all the women out here doing it with cancer, and how selfish of me to be concerned with my stupid run time, when they are just glad to be here! Toward the end of the run, a guy was cheering us on with such encouraging words, it was great! Ran about as hard as I could in...then looked for my friend and family. It was great to see them. The millions of events I've gone to for them, it was nice for them to come see me accomplish something! (They are natural athletes...I have to work hard at it!).

It was a great experience. Awesome people!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great report Skimom! I'm so glad your family was there to cheer you on and see you finish, I'm sure that was wonderful. Seeing itri at my race was absolutely huge. I knew she was there to cheer for me and gosh that felt good. I do a lot of cheering for kiddos all winter, I didn't realize how good it felt to be on the other end.

It's amazing the emotions that take over during these things, especially during your first few. When I did the Fat Tire I burst into tears as I started down the last downhill (fortunately there was nobody around). I knew it was easy from there and I was just so happy that I'd done what I set out to do. Then during my race a week ago it hit me right as we were starting because I had all these people around me and I was taking off so fast and couldn't believe I was doing it. When I got close to the end I was fighting for positions so I didn't really have time to reflect until I got home later and started composing my race report.

BTW, I think we need to get together with itri, Lilabear you and I for a group ride at some point before ski season approaches!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can just see it now........next year we'll have a SkiDiva Tri Team!

Kudos to all of you!!

BackCountryGirl, I don't envy you with all the mud up your way. Good time!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can just see it now........next year we'll have a SkiDiva Tri Team!

Now there's an interesting idea. I wonder if we could get some tech shirts printed with something (since I won't wear a regular t for a race)? Hmmm, itri, Skimom, ShannonD what do you think?

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in!! My tri buddy and I are doing a duathlon at the end of September and are already starting think about next year.

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are going to do the Du Wop on Sept. 28th. Neither of us are super runners, so we'll do the bike/run vs. the run/bike/run. Plus I'm not going to be able to run for at least 3 weeks until the toe heals. What a silly injury...a broken toe.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly