• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Gear designed for Asian fit

alison wong

Angel Diva
Hi: I am asian and I am considering to purchase a new helmet. I came across Smith asian fit helmets on their website and was wondering if anyone can comment on the asian fit models? Specifically, does the "asian" fit really make a difference (in terms of fitting)?

I have a Giro helmet now and I realized it does not fit very well to my Asian head. It kind of "sit" on my head rather than in my head.

I also bought an asian fit Oakly prizm rose goggles recently online and it fits ok.

Problem with asian fit gear is, they are not stocked in the store. So I can't try them on before purchasing. Do I really want to purchase multiple sizes and models online (Smith Vantage, Compass, etc) and then return the ones that don't fit? I am not sure....

I live in Northern Virginia and I have asked local ski shops to see if they are willing to stock the asian fit gears, none of them bothered. So I guess try it on before I buy is not really an option.

any input you can share will be greatly appreciated!

marzNC

Angel Diva
My first helmet was a Giro. Later on I wated to try helmets with a brim and found that the Smith helmets fit my head better.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Thanks! I do like the color of your helmet and I want to get something similar to your color. I tried Smith Vantage (regular) in the store and it fits fine. I don't know how the Compass model will fit, it offers Asian fit as well.
What is the advantage of having helmet w/ a brim?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I like the brim for a couple seasons. When it's sunny, it helps keep down the glare. But when it's snowing, that's when having a brim makes more difference. The brim helps keep snow off my goggles. Not as much of an issue with natural snow out west. Definitely helpful when skiing under snow guns at Massanutten in early season when they are putting down wetter snow to build base.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Asian fit Oakleys (wearing them in this pic) do make a big difference. I'd assume the Asian fit helmets would also make a big difference. I'm all for buying a bunch and returning whatever doesn't work best. Plus you'll want to make sure your goggles match up with whatever helmet you do get. Can't recall what my helmet is and I've put away my gear. :-(

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think they make a difference - I don't have any ski gear that is specifically Asian fit, but I have sunglasses that are, and the difference between them and non-Asian fit sunglasses is noticeable. I figure the chances of it working is higher than it not. :smile:

Soujan

Angel Diva
I understand the reason for Asian fit sunglasses and goggle. Has to do with flatter noses so the bottom rim of the lense would sit on our cheeks. I have the Oakley Asian fit Radar and it still sits on my cheek. I have tried several brands of goggles and most leave a very large gap around my nose. I found Giro fits my face. I don't see how a helmet is Asian fit. My husband and I have very different shaped heads. He has a tiny head wears small helmets and I have a very wide head. Some helmets press the sides of my head. I would try it on in the store first before purchasing. I don't think you need an Asian specific helmet. I currently use the Smith Variant.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My last pair of Rx glasses frame offered two fits on the nosepiece.

alison wong

Angel Diva
First of all, thanks you all for the advice. Couple wks ago, I went to a local store to try on Smith models. The selection is limited because it is the end of the season. (I am leaning towards Smith because I like their design and color.)
The Smith helmets I tried on, they fit ok, but they all looked "bulky" on my head. Why is that? When I see other people's helmets, they look "well-fitted". Is it just my perception how I see myself w/ helmet when I look in the mirror?

I agree the asian fit model may just be a marketing scheme but I am curious to try it... in a way, just to convince myself that's the case.

On a side note, I have a little dent (not cracked) on the helmet I currently have. The store owner mentioned that this helmet is no longer good because of the dent. It won't be able to absorb blunt force or impact as well, in a way it comprises the protective property of a helmet? Is it true? Or is he exaggerating it?

Jilly

Staff member
He is correct. Time to replace it. Don't forget to take your goggles when you shop for helmets. Or maybe you're in the market for new goggles too. Some brands don't work with some helmets.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that unless you were born in an Asian country, the chances of your head not fitting into a non-Asian fit helmet are slim. For some time, infants in Asian countries were placed on their backs to sleep, while US infants were placed on their stomachs or at the very least, had their heads turned to a side. This positioning changed head shape, with the heads of Asian babies being a little flatter in the back with a less pronounced occipital bone, and maybe the head was overall wider/rounder. And the head shape continued as they developed.

Notably, a friend of a friend who was a med student in Korea was checking out my head after a fall, and she freaked out by a perceived bump on the back of my head, and I was like, No, that is how my skull is shaped.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This topic is timely. I had a customer (asian) come into the ski shop this past weekend to get a "end of season deal on goggles"
After going through most of our options I pointed out how the goggles had air gaps that would impede the visibility if weather got into them.
I suggested that he go to our Oakley store and try on Asian Fit goggles. He did, but they weren't on sale so he returned and purchased a standard Smith I/O which, I assure you, doesn't fit.

FWIW, Smith carries a good variety of Asian Fit product but most stores I have worked for don't tend to carry many options, if any.

I think you'll be happy with the Asian Fit products, for sure.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Thank you SnowHot. For goggles, I did get an Oakely Asian fit, the guys at our local ski store made a suggestion (I was not aware of such asian line exist until he mentioned it) to check the Oakley online store. So I followed his advice, and bought an Oakley, it was on sale $98 (vs. $120). I got to use it when I went to Alta in early April.
As for helmet, I am still searching for it. At the end of the season this year, I tried on few regular Smith, they looked "bulky" on my head.
I may go back to Hong Kong to visit my family this holiday season, and I plan to stop by Japan for 2 days (as a layover) to ski. I can also utilize that opportunity to get a new helmet.

snowysnow

Certified Ski Diva
I will add to this old thread for anyone thinking of Smith asian fits:
I bought a pair of Smith I/OS asian fit goggles online. I received them and there was still a gap on the bridge of my nose. Emailed the retailer, who asked the Smith rep and found out that all they did was add extra foam on the nose area to make them "asian fit". There was no flatter-face design like Oakley touts for their sunglasses. I was pretty disappointed. But I bought a Face Saver and that blocks the space on my nose bridge pretty well.

I already had a Giro Seam helmet that fits my weird asian skull (thought I'd have to get a men's helment) and noticed that I have forehead gap on one very cold winter morning. But I can't justify replacing either the helmet or the goggles, so I'm just going to pull down my Bula a little more.

alison wong

Angel Diva
@snowysnow: you mentioned about smith asian fit goggles. I tried on Asian fit Oakley Rose Prizm goggles and regular Rose Prizm goggles on separate occasions. Honestly, I don't feel the difference. Since I did not try both version side by side, so it is hard to say whether or not there is any true difference, they might have done what Smith did.....
Still looking for a helmet. I will be going to Banff and WB next March, hope I can find stores that carry asian fit models.

snowysnow

Certified Ski Diva
@snowysnow: you mentioned about smith asian fit goggles. I tried on Asian fit Oakley Rose Prizm goggles and regular Rose Prizm goggles on separate occasions. Honestly, I don't feel the difference. Since I did not try both version side by side, so it is hard to say whether or not there is any true difference, they might have done what Smith did.....
Still looking for a helmet. I will be going to Banff and WB next March, hope I can find stores that carry asian fit models.

Since getting that explanation from Comor Sports about my goggles, I give up on asian fit googles. I'm setting my sights on a pair of transitions googles (Dragon Alliance X1S)... maybe at the end of next season, if I can find a super deal.

G-dub

Diva in Training
I stumbled upon this thread while trying to find out more about Smith's asian fit helmets - I can't stand my Costco bought Giro helmet as the only reason it doesn't slide off is because of my goggles... Now, those goggles - I finally got a new pair of goggles this season - couldn't bring myself to pay regular price for the Smith I/OS in Asian fit. Hubby bought me a regular I/OS on sale from last season and it worked ok until my skiing improved, the air swirling under my goggles just drove me nuts!

I did some custom foam work on my goggles in case anyone wants to modify their goggles for a better fit. Here's a link to my goggles on my instagram page.
https://instagram.com/p/BO-skrzAwfe/

It isn't that difficult but there might be some challenges in sourcing materials. I found a sheet of foam in my kids' craft drawer so that worked out well, otherwise you may have to pick some up from a craft store, or weatherstripping from a hardware store, or even ebay/amazon. The key is that you need a smooth side that contacts the skin and of course you need to check that the colour does not bleed when wet :smile:

I used double sided tape to keep it in place - but I think I will replace it with foam glue instead. The tape isn't sticking that well, I think it's because I did a lousy job trimming the foam and that double-sided tape is so flimsy and difficult to work with..

Hope someone finds this useful. I know my button nose is happy.

alison wong

Angel Diva
It isn't that difficult but there might be some challenges in sourcing materials. I found a sheet of foam in my kids' craft drawer so that worked out well, otherwise you may have to pick some up from a craft store, or weatherstripping from a hardware store, or even ebay/amazon. The key is that you need a smooth side that contacts the skin and of course you need to check that the colour does not bleed when wet :smile:

I used double sided tape to keep it in place - but I think I will replace it with foam glue instead. The tape isn't sticking that well, I think it's because I did a lousy job trimming the foam and that double-sided tape is so flimsy and difficult to work with..

Very clever idea! Never thought about this w/ goggles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna