• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Freaky Forest Things

mollmeister

Angel Diva
When we lived in the Bay Area, we used to hike all over the immediate area (and the Sierras) pretty much every weekend.

One day we hiked closer to the city than we usually did, in the Marin Headlands.

After tromping around for a few hours, we came upon a very distinguished looking, but oddly dressed (more for the city than for hiking), older African American gentleman, headed the other direction.

My husband warned him that we'd seen a raccoon acting strangely back down the trail (we were a little afraid it had rabies), and the guy went nuts. I don't know if he thought my DH had called him an insulting name related to raccoons or what, but he was clearly off his rocker-- senility, mental illness, I don't know. But not OK.

He started screaming obscenities at us, and jumped between the two of us on the trail (I had stopped to look at something and we were maybe 30yds apart when he came on us) and then pulled out a hunting-style knife and started waving it about. :eek: It was incredibly surreal. So surreal that I don't know if I did what I *should have* done.

We had been doing a lot of really rough trail running at the time, so I just hopped down off the trail and over some rocks and ran around him, downslope to my husband, and we took off running back to civilization. We told a ranger about him, but they never had us file a formal report or anything, which I thought was really odd. :noidea:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna