• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Flatscreens on Chairlifts?

newboots

Angel Diva
There is more detailed info about how Alpine Media Technology intends to interact with the resorts that they partner with in a NSAA article from May 2016. The article is about new approaches to replace paper trail maps in general, not just the LiftDigital product. Apparently Alpine Media gets all the ad revenue, but also handles all the paperwork and covers all the installation costs. Only detachable lifts and gondolas will work because the bull wheel has to be big enough that there is time to charge the unit each time around.
. . .

Wachusett is unusual for the northeast because it's a small place (110 acres, 1000 ft vertical) with a detachable to the summit. Wachusett is pretty innovative about coming up with ways to get people to attend special events when the slopes are open for skiing/boarding and ways to make money during the off-season.

You are a wealth of information as always! I just couldn't "like," though. I want my mountains non-digitized.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have no interest in having more info on a lift. But if something helps a small ski area be more successful financially so that they can stay in business and/or put more money into slope improvements, then I'll put up with it. People who buy season passes won't need the info proposed. Someone checking out a place for the first time might find it useful.

As long as it's only visual and there is no sound, pretty easy to ignore. Unlike the videos with sound at gas stations.

captain_hug99

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
NO!!! I go skiing to unplug, and the ride on the lift provides me a captive audience with my daughter. LOL I've had great lift conversations with strangers too.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The real question (IMHO) may be would you rather pay more for your skiing experience, watch the ski area close, or tolerate the adverts.

If it could keep some of the smaller endangered areas open I could put up with it. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to compromise, but..............

newboots

Angel Diva
@Obrules15 - you and @marzNC have a point about ski areas supporting themselves. I've seen several recently-closed small ski areas this summer, and it's such a shame. Still, riding the lift, as well as skiing, are for me moments of quiet and appreciation for these mountains.

marzNC

Angel Diva
This article about Bluetooth speakers in the Aspen Mountain gondola cabins reminded me of this thread.

Apparently there was a system before but have been upgraded so that it works better. Only in the red cabins. The deal is that "With Bluetooth technology, anyone with a smartphone can direct the music."

https://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/176737

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wonder how long it will take before the first one is vandalized.

I might be able to tolerate them so long as there is no sound. I can always look away. If they have sound it may drive me to try skinning . . . or violence. :smile:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If it could keep some of the smaller endangered areas open I could put up with it. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to compromise, but..............

Not a bad thought, but overall agreeing with everyone: N.O. spells no.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I noticed out west that hardly anybody put the bars down on chairs, not even the ski patroller I rode up with one morning. So a. I don't see western resorts as a useful market and b. I predict I'll be leaving the bar up if it has a screen on it.

Please just...no.

Agreed! Really hoping this won't ever catch on here.

newboots

Angel Diva
Aww, girlz, for the love of Pete! Put the bar down!

Signed,

Nervous Eastern skier

(It's the law in VT)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly