• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Flatscreens on Chairlifts?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
A Denver-area startup, Alpine Media Technology, has raised $150,000 to install flatscreens on chairlifts; they've already signed with Winter Park Resort (CO), and Wachusett (MA).

How do you feel about that?

For the complete article about it, go here.

Jilly

Staff member
Yup. I had a hard lifting the bars at Sugarloaf with those resort maps. Also you might get too entertained by the display and miss getting off!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There isn't a lift ride long enough at Wachussett to warrant it. And in any case, what about the quiet, the scenery, making small talk with strangers, watching the other skiers, etc, etc. Not for me.

Christy

Angel Diva
Why, why, why.

Okay, probably to advertise various products and services of the resort. Awesome. Everyone will love that.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Oh for the love of pete. REALLY? We can't sit on a lift chair for 4 minutes without canned music and ads for products we don't need? It's bad enough to have to listen to 80's music when I pump gas. Are we really so scared to think our own thoughts in our own heads that we need constant stimuli?

^all rhetorical questions^
^yes, i'm ranting^

Jenny

Angel Diva
Nowhere is safe. I will actively avoid anything advertised, just like I do for any online ads. It makes no difference to them, but it makes me happy.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I noticed out west that hardly anybody put the bars down on chairs, not even the ski patroller I rode up with one morning. So a. I don't see western resorts as a useful market and b. I predict I'll be leaving the bar up if it has a screen on it.

Please just...no.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed out west that hardly anybody put the bars down on chairs, not even the ski patroller I rode up with one morning. So a. I don't see western resorts as a useful market and b. I predict I'll be leaving the bar up if it has a screen on it.

Please just...no.

Lowering the bar is a law in Vermont.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know I'll hate them if they become mainstream. I can't even stand the TVs they have at some gas stations. Do we really need to fill every second of free time watching something? If I want to do that, I can always get on my phone!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
let's see how many go around the bull wheel because they're engrossed in tv on the lift??!!! another No

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

And I've used that as a why I need the bar down in other regions. 'It's the law where I ski and I'm used to it, if that's OK.' No one has ever said it had to stay up. I suppose not liking heights enters into my choice!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gross idea. I'm also the one who turns off TVs in waiting rooms if no one else is there. And if it's a ah ..... open looking group, I ask if anyone minds if I turn it down. Pablum for the brain. UGH.

newboots

Angel Diva
Where else do you get to see that view? Converse for a few minutes with a stranger (or suddenly a brand new ski buddy)? Where else on the mountain can you just hear the quiet, see the breath-taking scenery, and breathe deeply without having to think about technique?

Well, I know some of you don't have to think about technique on the way down. But still. I even like riding the lift alone. Truly a way to get away from the incredible stresses we put on ourselves. Leave it alone! Keep the mountains quiet!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I even like riding the lift alone. Truly a way to get away from the incredible stresses we put on ourselves.

Agree! I get bored at first when I'm alone on a chair, then I force myself to relax and pay attention to my surroundings. It's so rare to be bored these days with all of our gadgets and distractions, I think of it as a little gift of forced calm.

Well, The Man can't make me put the ba.....no, just kidding. I think it's silly not to put the bar down.

marzNC

Angel Diva
A Denver-area startup, Alpine Media Technology, has raised $150,000 to install flatscreens on chairlifts; they've already signed with Winter Park Resort (CO), and Wachusett (MA).

How do you feel about that?

For the complete article about it, go here.
There is more detailed info about how Alpine Media Technology intends to interact with the resorts that they partner with in a NSAA article from May 2016. The article is about new approaches to replace paper trail maps in general, not just the LiftDigital product. Apparently Alpine Media gets all the ad revenue, but also handles all the paperwork and covers all the installation costs. Only detachable lifts and gondolas will work because the bull wheel has to be big enough that there is time to charge the unit each time around. The company is based in Centennial, CO.

Back in 2016, Alpine Media was hoping to set up agreements for the Super Guage Express at Winter Park and the gondola at Steamboat. Be interesting to see if Steamboat comes on board for 207-18 or not. Could be that there isn't enough start up money for that installation.

Wachusett is unusual for the northeast because it's a small place (110 acres, 1000 ft vertical) with a detachable to the summit. Wachusett is pretty innovative about coming up with ways to get people to attend special events when the slopes are open for skiing/boarding and ways to make money during the off-season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna