• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Femur Spiral Fracture Experience?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
After battling severe ski & boot issues my first couple days in Vermont I was finally enjoying my first full day of skiing Feb 28th. I followed another lady to the "Face" of the mountain (groomed black). They were holding Northeast Regional Masters races on the part I usually choose to ski so I was going to turn way before that. There was the usual "Race In Progress" sign about 20 feet after where I went to turn. But they must have had Friday's races farther over and I hit a 20 non-stop sheet of ice, which accelerated my careful speed. I got turned only enough to miss the sign with my right leg. The left hit it like a brick wall-I was still standing and the skis were still on. In Crescent and everywhere else I've been, such signs are "break-away" and would have crumbled and then stood themselves back up. The skier crumbles, gets up and skis away, never to think of it again. My thigh bone broke on impact, a spiral fracture.

The orthopedic surgeons at Dartmouth University Medical Hospital in New Hampshire, said this is ~not~ a typical skiing accident. The only usual causes are plane crashes or rolling a vehicle four or five times. It's the largest bone in the body and the most painful to break with a typical 5 month recovery time, 3 of those on crutches. I was actually better off in the motel in Vermont as housekeeping brought me ice and ice packs every morning. The microwave, fridge & toaster over were three feet from the bed. Both Ski Patrol (who delivered my car to the motel) and the motel manager offered to pick me up from the hospital after surgery, though a day earlier than they expected (my discharge papers mentioned "patient adamant about immediate discharge"i

A friend from the Charlotte Club, was to ski with me this past week. She flew up and skied with my friends anyway and then help me pack everything back into storage and drive me back to the Manchester NH airport where going through TSA with a titanium rod in one's leg was an absolute pain and a long process. Most importantly, Bert fished Lily (m y sedan)out of long term parking in Charlotte, before she drove herself north. It's ~much~ easier to get in/out of and drive Lily than that rental I had. The rough part is the three steps to my back door and getting ice to my bedroom.... Pain is the key word.

So, is there anyone else who's had this lousy experience that can share improvement time frames? This mouse needs lion-sized encouragement!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Oh my goodness! I have DH's bike wreck to reference as a concerned spouse but that's is. He broke his pelvis and collar bone at the same time. Do what they tell you in terms of taking the pain med - you really do need it, as much as you'll need laxatives to counteract it.
Sending healing prayers and wishes.

DH did get through his deal. It was a long recovery. Just do everything they tell you do to.

GG

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
How awful! So sorry to hear about this, S/S. Wishing you a fast and complete recovery!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Oh, so sorry to hear this! No experience with it, so no help at all, but very sympathetic.

The last couple of weeks have not been good to Diva bones.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
@Geargirl: Fortunately I've never needed the laxatives or blood thinners; aspirin alone makes me bleed like a faucet. But I'm taking the pain killers every two hours. Are you familiar with the childhood story "The Princess and the Pea?" I am she!!!!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
WOW>yikes!! :eek::eek:

SO sorry!!! OMG, you poor lady.
This is terrible.
@Jenny is right - three too many bone fractures recently here.
Same, re: not having much input - but you went to a good facility.
Cannot even imagine what your return trip home was like.....:faint:

Spiral of femur - just....wow.
HANG IN THERE!
:hug:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
As I got much time to think about things, it occurred to me: What were they thinking making it solid wood? The actual story was that a parent volunteer made the sign to save the youth program money as they try to make it affordable for as many youth as possible...obviously said parent had no racing experience himself. It did make me a little more understanding, though I would rather have paid for the appropriate sign myself.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh no, I am so sorry s/s!! I am also recovering from a fracture (tibial plateau) and can tell you the first two weeks are just BAD. The pain is worse, you are adjusting to your new (albeit temporary) "normal" and also adjusting to going from active and what not, to sitting around. Prepare for your non-injured leg to often hurt like hell itself. Because it's suddenly bearing all the weight. So, try to pamper it as much as you can. Eat REALLY well--and a lot if you want. I guess a fracture healing consumes huge amounts of calories so if you are hungry, that's why!

I found a FB group for people who have suffered tibial plateau fractures that has been very helpful (and also made me realize how lucky I am that mine wasn't worse.) You might find that for people with the femur fracture you have.

I am SO very sorry. The whole "getting injured" experience is just scary and for me, still seems surreal. Hang in there, again, the first two weeks (at least for me) were the worst. After that, you'll start getting more mobile and the pain will hopefully decrease.

Sending you many hugs :hug:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Thanks all!

This is week 3 and the pain has actually been worse; I think it's because now that I'm in my own home, everything is farther away and not so doable. It's probably a really good thing that noone was in my kitchen last night when I dropped two ice trays (no, no icemaker) and soaked everything....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
As I got much time to think about things, it occurred to me: What were they thinking making it solid wood? The actual story was that a parent volunteer made the sign to save the youth program money as they try to make it affordable for as many youth as possible...obviously said parent had no racing experience himself. It did make me a little more understanding, though I would rather have paid for the appropriate sign myself.
This is seriously bothering me. Putting an "immovable object" where it was??? :eek::crazy::nono: When ski patrol ordinarily is padding anything that could cause serious injury?
Where was this?

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awful! I was down and out last year, so sympathize greatly. Hope you can soon be out of pain and able to get around,
but it seems like forever. It's not, but........hang in there!

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whoa. How awful! I hope you heal quickly!

@contessant: when I fractured my tibial plateau, the doctor said it was a very rare injury. Reading through these forums makes me think otherwise. (Though he DID admit that of those who experience this injury, the majority are middle aged women who ski soooo.... there's that?)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks all!

This is week 3 and the pain has actually been worse; I think it's because now that I'm in my own home, everything is farther away and not so doable. It's probably a really good thing that noone was in my kitchen last night when I dropped two ice trays (no, no icemaker) and soaked everything....
:( I'm sorry. Ugh dropping stuff is so frustrating when you are on crutches. And I'm sorry the pain is worse now :( Mine ebbed and flowed but mine also was probably not even remotely as painful as yours!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
This is seriously bothering me. Putting an "immovable object" where it was??? :eek::crazy::nono: When ski patrol ordinarily is padding anything that could cause serious injury?
Where was this?
I hate to say, but it was at Suicide Six, VT, which I consider my home mountain up there, all family. I did leave a stern warning that I'd better not lay eyes on said sign again or.....

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so sorry. What a miserable injury.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna