• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

FEAR!

lmbotr825

Diva in Training
Hello! I just love this forum and get such great advice! Does anyone have any experience or advice about overcoming fear of heights or specifically chair lifts???? I have a wierd problem with fear of chairlifts. To clarify, I am a VERY experienced skier, not an expert but for sure a capable and adept advanced intermediate, have been on skiis since I was 3. A few years ago I had a bad experience on a lift (involving high winds, below 0 temps and a strangely tilted lift). It really affected me and since then I am soooo fearful of lifts, not skiing so much (though this issue has altered my confidence all around) but the actual ride up the friggin lift. Of course this has resulted in quite a bit of stress for me, even though I suck it up. I would like to address this before the season begins this year and deal with it once an for all. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Jilly

Staff member
I don't mind chairlifts, but don't put me on a roof....but some lifts are just plain scary.

I keep my eye on the prize....the end/top if you can. Sometimes you can't see it, but remember it's there. I just keep looking up, not down. Or watch the skiers off to the side if there are some. But when things start to swing, I sit very still, huddle into my coat unless I'm on the lift with kids. Then the maternal/instructor instincts kick in. Got to keep the kids warm and entertained. I haven't had to evac'd yet from a lift, but that day may come. I watched patrol practicing last weekend. I'm confident that if it ever happens I'll be in good hands at Tremblant.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I totally sympathize! When I first started I was often a little queasy (and I get seasick) and I don't like heights. I don't have any advice beyond what I do on some lifts out west which is close my eyes on the scary spots. Forget those lifts with no safety bars! :eek: Not being a psychiatrist/psychologist but a rank amateur observer I'd wonder if you don't need something of the likes of experiences for terrified flyers that I've seen. I know there are members here who can legitimately offer advice. Best of luck that you can get out again!

newboots

Angel Diva
You can read up on it, but the quickest way to get better is through cognitive behavioral therapy. (exposure response prevention is the name of the specific technique). LOTS (most? therapists say they do cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) but few are practicing exactly this sort of treatment. It is quick and quite effective for a situation like yours.

Jennifer Lish, Ph.D. in Worcester is very skilled in this, and she may have therapists she can refer you to in your area. If you're actually located in the Berkshires, I'm not sure of anyone actually practicing out there, but there's also a practice in Granby, MA, (near Holyoke) - Shelley Janiczek Woodson, Ph.D.

This is not your sit-on-the-couch and recount your childhood therapy. It's very specific, targeted, and requires motivation. (Sounds like you have plenty!)

You can also find online CBT, but I'm afraid I don't know the charlatans from the experts.

Okay, enough from newboots, Ph.D. Back to newboots, hoping to be a solid or advanced intermediate at the end of this season! Tentative plan is Okemo tomorrow!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can read up on it, but the quickest way to get better is through cognitive behavioral therapy. (exposure response prevention is the name of the specific technique). LOTS (most? therapists say they do cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) but few are practicing exactly this sort of treatment. It is quick and quite effective for a situation like yours.

Jennifer Lish, Ph.D. in Worcester is very skilled in this, and she may have therapists she can refer you to in your area. If you're actually located in the Berkshires, I'm not sure of anyone actually practicing out there, but there's also a practice in Granby, MA, (near Holyoke) - Shelley Janiczek Woodson, Ph.D.

This is not your sit-on-the-couch and recount your childhood therapy. It's very specific, targeted, and requires motivation. (Sounds like you have plenty!)

You can also find online CBT, but I'm afraid I don't know the charlatans from the experts.

Okay, enough from newboots, Ph.D. Back to newboots, hoping to be a solid or advanced intermediate at the end of this season! Tentative plan is Okemo tomorrow!

I was hoping you were watching!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to have that fear. Certain chairs evoke it still, like the proximity of big rocks and wind certainly is horrible. But I remind myself that I've been on these same chairs, on many chairs, and have been fine. So in a way, I tell myself that while I'm not an expert skier, I'm an expert chair lift rider, trusting to many years of experience.

I've also had enough therapy to have heard of CBT, and that might be an excellent thing to help you get over the hump with this thing. It'd be worth the investment of time/money, because you'd be free of these pesky feelings. Good luck!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I defer to NewBoots of course. In the meantime, I find that wearing earbuds and listening to music or podcasts helps take me out of the moment, and lessens anxiety. Good luck!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I can remember being a little freaked out on the Town Lift @ Park City. Behind us was BF's son's wife who is a clinical psychologist (Psy.D. - newboots can correct me if I'm wrong) . She was in tears (really crying) as the lift had no safety bar.... and was swinging...... She told me she is terrified of lifts....

newboots

Angel Diva
I can remember being a little freaked out on the Town Lift @ Park City. Behind us was BF's son's wife who is a clinical psychologist (Psy.D. - newboots can correct me if I'm wrong) . She was in tears (really crying) as the lift had no safety bar.... and was swinging...... She told me she is terrified of lifts....

Aww, poor woman! I can't imagine lifts without safety bars, which I understand are common out west. Add wind - I would likely be crying too!

(Yes, Ph.D. is the traditional degree, a doctor of philosophy in psychology, earned at a university. PsyD. is a more recent innovation, doctor of psychology, usually earned in a free-standing school of psychology. </end psychology trivia>)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure fear of chairlifts is entirely irrational. Especially those without bars. I think rather that we expose ourselves to it so often that we (well, some of us) become irrationally comfortable with a loony tunes situation.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get a little scared on lifts, too. I came really close to a panic attack on a lift once. I've noticed it's worse for me later in the day when I'm tired, or when it's windy. I'm generally okay with the bar down, and when I ride lifts without one, I try to focus a lot on my breathing, just keeping it deep and controlled. I hook an arm over whatever I can to feel more anchored, like the back of the chair, or grip the pole tightly where there's a center pole. I try to keep my eyes focused ahead of me, on the horizon, because it's worse if I look straight down. And I use self-talk, just telling myself it's fine, the chances of something bad happening are really small, I'm okay, etc. I have a hard time with the distraction techniques. I know some people find that effective, but I do better if I'm focused on telling myself that it will all be okay.

mustski

Angel Diva
Ok so Dr. Newboots can correct me if I’m wrong, but there are two possible phobias at play here: the fear of heights and the fear of falling. I struggle with fear of falling so lifts without bars are a giant challenge for me. I have learned to keep my eyes uphill and do not look down -even once! I also chose lifts with bars or gondolas if there is an option. Often there is.

@newboots tentative plan should be for you and your guy to come to Diva West and ski Mammoth with us all!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Ok I have fear of falling like you but BF's son's wife the psychologist has fear that she might jump off. Many different aspects of fear I guess. I fly a few times a year at least and always feel better once the plane is "in the air" and then again "on the ground" safely. Many 10 hr or more flights and fine mid air. It's the take off that usually has me shutting my eyes and leaning back in the seat. That's knowing I have another 10-13 hours of flight time . Doesn't stop me though.

mustski

Angel Diva
Yes. I have heard of those who must fight the urge to jump. That is definitely not me, but I had a friend jump off a lift back in the 70s. The lift froze and we had been stuck for a couple of hours. The physical pain was insane! She dropped her skis and jumped and shattered both heels. It’s not a good urge!we spent over an hour trying to talk her into holding tight. She was alone on the chair.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes. I have heard of those who must fight the urge to jump. That is definitely not me, but I had a friend jump off a lift back in the 70s. The lift froze and we had been stuck for a couple of hours. The physical pain was insane! She dropped her skis and jumped and shattered both heels. It’s not a good urge!we spent over an hour trying to talk her into holding tight. She was alone on the chair.
Yikes. If anything, I have the death grip on the chair. Another scary chair that was swinging with no safety bar was at Telluride....I did not feel like jumping but was terrified. Whistler used to have a scary chair Peak ??? but with safety bar I am fine. In Tahoe many do not use safety bars but I have no problem asking if anyone minds if we put the bar down. I have never heard "yes I mind."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hello! I just love this forum and get such great advice! Does anyone have any experience or advice about overcoming fear of heights or specifically chair lifts???? I have a wierd problem with fear of chairlifts. To clarify, I am a VERY experienced skier, not an expert but for sure a capable and adept advanced intermediate, have been on skiis since I was 3. A few years ago I had a bad experience on a lift (involving high winds, below 0 temps and a strangely tilted lift). It really affected me and since then I am soooo fearful of lifts, not skiing so much (though this issue has altered my confidence all around) but the actual ride up the friggin lift. Of course this has resulted in quite a bit of stress for me, even though I suck it up. I would like to address this before the season begins this year and deal with it once an for all. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Although fear of heights is not an issue for me, it's not a "weird problem" at all. If you do a Google search on "fear heights chairlift" there are all sorts of hits from ski forums all over the world. The fact that you had a bad experience makes the fear completely understandable.

Do you normally ski at the place where the wind was an issue? Do you ski at only a few places or travel to different places often? Have you ever started the day on a beginner lift and worked your way to longer and higher lifts? The last question is based on the idea that a skier getting back on the slopes after an injury normally starts with easier terrain before going back to whatever terrain they were skiing before the injury.

For examples of how people with serious phobias can get de-sensitized, here's an article from the UK. One of the men is a skier.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...obias-by-tackling-fears-head-on-10288966.html

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The last question is based on the idea that a skier getting back on the slopes after an injury normally starts with easier terrain before going back to whatever terrain they were skiing before the injury.
Hmm. That could be me as we're going to Tahoe on Wednesday for a few days or so I think. Except I bet I don't start out on easy runs ..... I should though. Maybe I will.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tentative plan is Okemo tomorrow!

Don't forget to take your canned goods or a new unused toy or clothing to get your $39 ticket. I wanted to go, but my dog is really sick. Take a run for me.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm afraid of heights, but chair lifts don't bother me too much. I mean, I don't fall when they're six inches off the ground, so why would I fall when they're 26 feet? At least that's what I tell myself. Once they start swinging, however, that's a different story. Then I casually wrap my inside arm around the chair back, just in case.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna