• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fear behind me

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome to SkiDiva.
Hmm... I don't know if you can fully protect yourself...generally keeping up with the flow of traffic and picking a "lane" and staying in it will help. The more predictable you are, the less likely others coming up behind you will need to react quickly to avoid you. Be aware when you are stopping that you aren't stopping in the middle of the trail or at the bottom of a roller where you can't be seen from above.
I know I get more nervous when I'm on the heel side of a boarder that they won't see me and will cut in front of me, but calling out "on your left" usually is enough to keep them aware.
Are you trying to say that you approach a snowboarder on his heel side and get so close that if they turn he'll cut you? you are one brave woman :smile: here in this situation any resulting collusion will likely be considered your fault since you are not leaving him room for maneuvres.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I learned to ski about 8 years ago. I started out so slowly, but quickly realized that skiing slow was more dangerous because there are so many people skiing fast!! I took some lessons and learned that you can ski slowly in control or quickly in control. I assumed fast was out of control. Now that i can ski in control at high speed, but strategy is to always ski fast, so that I dont get hit!! It sounds crazy, but I feel more in control of my fate this way

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I try to ski mainly in short turns when it's busy, so not very fast, but I feel it gives me more time to react. However when I see a big open space in front and no immediate competition, I ski fast almost in a straight line. It's very stressful skiing in the crowd. Yesterday it finally snowed properly, visibility was very bad so I went hoping to have almost empty slopes, but it was crazy busy. I bailed after literally 3 runs. Too unnerving. Today I lasted 4 hours. Beautiful day, but Brownian motion on slopes again. At least holiday period is coming to an end and next week will be much quieter. Looking forward to it already. Will probably ski tour tomorrow. So relaxing compared to skiing when it's so busy. Off-piste is still pretty much non-existent, though it's finally possible to ski bumps between some runs, which I have been doing today especially lower down where pistes are still very icy.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Historically I deal with awkward skiers by skiing fast enough to go past any in front of me, and outpacing the ones behind me. This is not recommended on trails with slow signs!

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you trying to say that you approach a snowboarder on his heel side and get so close that if they turn he'll cut you? you are one brave woman :smile: here in this situation any resulting collusion will likely be considered your fault since you are not leaving him room for maneuvres.

Yes, I know its very risky, I think I was writing about a situation that was pretty fresh in my mind. I was just at Killington on lots of LONG green traverses where I was picking up more speed and the boarders were hugging the right hand side of the trail and the only place to pass was on the left hand side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna