• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fastest skiing progress that you have seen

Tvan

Angel Diva
If the question is how long it takes to have at least a bit of decent technique, sure, that differs from person to person, and certainly depends on coordination, fitness, experience in other sports, fearlessness, and so on.

+1 to this.

I'm the slow learner in our family, and I happily practiced technique on the green slopes for a very long time before I moved to blue then black. On the other end of the scale, at the age of 15 with only @10 days of skiing ever, my godson went from green to black on a single day and never looked back. The speed with which we both learned is immaterial to our enjoyment of the sport. He's been my favorite ski partner for the past decade.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied with a guy who'd only skied one week before in St Anton last month. At the beginning of the week he was like a typical 2nd-weeker, snowploughing and struggling on steeper sections. By the end of the week he happily skied down the steep Kandahar black run with no trouble at all. The speed he progressed without lessons was astonishing, he was a complete natural.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe some of you remember that I took my 46 year old friend to a "Free Lesson, Rentals, and Lower Mountain Lift Ticket" day at Okemo a few years ago. She went from Never-Ever to completely comfortable on the Green runs on her first day. She made the most beautiful rounded, parallel turns almost immediately. She just had a sense of her edges. She also has an amazing sense of balance and almost never falls. I was astounded at her progress.

After her second lesson, she transitioned to intermediate runs with confidence, as long as she didn't stay in the fall line too long. She had a bit of angst if she picked up speed. Within 5 days, she was tentative but in control on some black runs. She even did a double-black at Killington in 3 months. I'm convinced that her success was due to the perfect, rounded turns based on her edging, hands downhill, weight-forward stance.

Spring forward to today. She is still making those same perfectly edged, rounded turns, but can't get comfortable with the concept of going into the fall line. Only one time in some new, deeper snow, she pointed her skis downhill and carved her way down the mountain. It was a breakthrough for her, but in typical Northeast conditions, she reverts to those rounded turns.

She has taken lessons since then, but I think her fear of speed relates to her fear of heights and she retreats into her safe method of speed control. She is perfectly happy to continue to ski in her rounded turn comfort zone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly