• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fastest skiing progress that you have seen

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello Divas,

Recently I have watched a video made in a beautiful resort showing a woman who just had her first time skiing a few days ago, and then she was filmed skiing down a long gentle slope pretty confidently. At least as my eye could notice ;)

I would like to ask more experienced Divas, what was the fastest skiing progress in adults that you have seen? How many days on snow would it take to a reasonably fit adult beginner who never skied before, to progress from a 'magic carpet' type hill to a more challenging slope, may be even to a 'black' type one?

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I've seen it happen in less than two hours. In my experience it depends on how much muscle strength the person already has and his/her level of fear. The more physically fit, in the right muscle groups, the faster it goes. The less fear, the faster it goes. For example, men and women that play ice hockey. It's like they were born with skis on their feet. And they usually have no fear of falling. I took out my daughter's roommate last month and she was terrified. It kept her from ever leaving the bunny hill, despite being physically capable. Last year I took my friend, she was fearless and therefore on the hill by her second run but faltered because she was so physically exhausted. So if you can avoid those two pitfalls, it can go rather quickly.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The year before last, we met a friend out in Breck. He brought his 20 year old son who had never skied before. He took two days of lessons, and on the third day, took the T-Bar up and ended up coming down a run on Horseshoe Bowl (double black) - successfully. I had advised him not pushing things to that limit so soon but all's well that end's well I guess. He was pretty gung-ho about it. After that run he was hanging out on Six-Chair.... I'll give him credit for gumption at least. I know there is no way I could have (would have) ever pushed myself like that so soon but that's a young buck for ya I suppose. ;)

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like pretty normal for a 20 yo, in my opinion... How about more mature adults?

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I think it depends a lot on fitness and athleticicm if course, but especially on if the person has done other sliding/gliding sports. X-c skiing and skating especially. It's the balance and the comfort with sliding that can help these people progress way faster than the average.

There's a woman in our ski school who joined last year. Was in the beginner (one step above never-ever) class and just shot ahead. She used to figure skate. This year she's skiing very very well and confidently and in excellent form - easily handling groomed blacks at Tremblant.

Christy

Angel Diva
I think some people are naturals due to less obvious factors than fitness and previous sports experience. I suspect it has to do with body mechanics/balance/just the way they are put together. My husband has a friend from India who had never been on snow in his life (and does not play other sports and who I'm not sure even exercises) until he went on a work night skiing outing last year. He took to it immediately and was skiing blues at Crystal (which are steep) on his second day. He would fall but not be put off--he is also an incredibly enthusiastic and optimistic person, which I'm sure helps. Just based on the tips my husband gives him when they have skied together he is skiing the easier blacks at Crystal now (so probably his 7th day skiing). This is so frustrating to me since I've taken so many lessons and my own progress was glacial. I am fit and not particularly fearful but I am also super wonky in terms of how I'm put together (I thought everyone was but my physical therapist said, "not as bad as you!"); I still have trouble with basic balance exercises that I've done for years; my right ankle won't roll due to many sprains, etc etc. I know it sounds like a cop-out but I really think some of us are built better than others for the sport.

Here's my very, very unscientific test about innate balance. Can you close your eyes and balance on your toes? This is something I've done for years in Pilates and I cannot, cannot do it, no matter how much I practice. I was telling my husband about how hard this was, and he did it very easily, then started hopping on one leg, and doing all sorts of crazy arm movements, all with his eyes closed. No problem whatsoever. He is a beautiful skier. I am not. (Now just to taunt me he'll close his eyes and start balancing on his toes, hopping around, etc randomly at home).

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The year before last, we met a friend out in Breck. He brought his 20 year old son who had never skied before. He took two days of lessons, and on the third day, took the T-Bar up and ended up coming down a run on Horseshoe Bowl (double black) - successfully. I had advised him not pushing things to that limit so soon but all's well that end's well I guess. He was pretty gung-ho about it. After that run he was hanging out on Six-Chair.... I'll give him credit for gumption at least. I know there is no way I could have (would have) ever pushed myself like that so soon but that's a young buck for ya I suppose. ;)

:fear:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely a question of nerve and feeling comfortable at speed. My husband was skiing black runs on his first day - I think he fancied skiing because it meant hurtling down a hill as fast as possible. It took me weeks of skiing over several years to get to the same point.

Jilly

Staff member
There is a program at Tremblant where young adults come over from privileged households in England and ski for the winter. (Ski or Ride la Gap, as in Gap year). There are some that have never skied before. Most can take their level 1 or 2 CSIA exams before they leave the end of March. I know that they get some of the Gappers (yup, that's what they're called) to help with ski school during the March breaks. They have to have their level 1 to do that.

I will admit that the group has 2 of the best instructors that Tremblant has to offer.

SwissBrit

Diva in Training
I've seen it happen in less than two hours. In my experience it depends on how much muscle strength the person already has and his/her level of fear. The more physically fit, in the right muscle groups, the faster it goes. The less fear, the faster it goes. For example, men and women that play ice hockey. It's like they were born with skis on their feet. And they usually have no fear of falling. I took out my daughter's roommate last month and she was terrified. It kept her from ever leaving the bunny hill, despite being physically capable. Last year I took my friend, she was fearless and therefore on the hill by her second run but faltered because she was so physically exhausted. So if you can avoid those two pitfalls, it can go rather quickly.

F

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well there is fearlessness and there is skill... A sense of courage is certainly going to push someone to go their hardest. In my friend's case... he got down the mountain without crashing but more due to having a really good head game and luck - not so much a matter of technique because it definitely wasn't the prettiest thing. That kid was so high for the rest of the day though! Haha!!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Here's my very, very unscientific test about innate balance. Can you close your eyes and balance on your toes? This is something I've done for years in Pilates and I cannot, cannot do it, no matter how much I practice. I was telling my husband about how hard this was, and he did it very easily, then started hopping on one leg, and doing all sorts of crazy arm movements, all with his eyes closed. No problem whatsoever. He is a beautiful skier. I am not. (Now just to taunt me he'll close his eyes and start balancing on his toes, hopping around, etc randomly at home).
I'm going to try this at home tonight, but I suspect my DH will act very much like yours! He was a gymnast, so balance and all sorts of things come so easily for him.

SwissBrit

Diva in Training

I agree with this, but add a caveat. I was a pairs figure skating hobbyist. Good command of skating edges, and fearless enough to be thrown metres across the ice for doubles (or above, in twists). I started skiing because moving to Switzerland, there is nothing else you do... And took to it very quickly. Did my first longish Blues and reds (Green and blues respectively in US terms) on day one; blacks on day 3. Doing blacks, not commanding them, I add :smile:

Here's the caveat. I did not have finessed technique (of course, after 3 days) . But I could keep up, therefore the incentive to take technique lessons to keep up with my friends wasn't pressing. Similarly, no push for understanding the equipment. If I could ski with my friends, that was enough for us all, right?

Fast forward to day 11, racing down and then ragdolling 300m head first down a ravine, to the side of a black slope I've done several times before. Very Very lucky to be alive, let alone with a tiny bruise.

What happened?

Firstly, I honestly had not realised that skis needed sharpening so often. The grip I had on season old noodles was not what I had at the start, when I was so confident. Secondly, I didn't know enough about equipment to realise that my boots had a problem - I had gum frozen to an already pronated foot. I effectively had no edges on one of my skis - and hadn't realised. Thirdly, had not enough experience to right myself.

You can bet I went for a full equipment briefing straight after and dissected the entire thing.

My point is, I guess, that experience and ability are different things. I think of experience as something that helps with your ability but mostly, helps you regain when something goes wrong. And no matter how talented the beginner seems - teaching them to fail is a vital skill too.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yikes! Thanks for your insight!

I'm just starting to lose my fear of speed. (This is going at speeds that my ex-racer friend said, "That wasn't fast!" Of course he's still going over 60 mph down his trails.)

But I'm learning I can control those skis going fast, and I don't have to slowly zig-zag down every incline. So much more fun!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
How many of us have seen proud newbies boasting how they've gone down black trails? Pick any weekend at any ski area, and the answer is loads. That doesn't mean they're decent skiers. That means they're lucky to have survived without injury. Why else would there be so many threads here discussing technique? Because we all want the skills to ski safely and properly on all types of terrain, time after time after time.

If the question is how long it takes to have at least a bit of decent technique, sure, that differs from person to person, and certainly depends on coordination, fitness, experience in other sports, fearlessness, and so on.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to try this at home tonight, but I suspect my DH will act very much like yours! He was a gymnast, so balance and all sorts of things come so easily for him.

I've taught Pilates for years. This was a lot easier years ago. Balance and brain get less friendly with age. BOOOOOH. So I work on it! (so I don't fall on my face again this season!)

skigirl72

Certified Ski Diva
Just one anecdote to add to the pot:

I'm 38, recreational figure skater, athletic (power lifter, triathlete, etc.) I skied 4 days at Steamboat last year, first time ever. A friend (who is a swim instructor, so knows how to teach, and has been skiing since she could walk, but is not a ski instructor) taught me. I skied some blues (with a lot of trepidation) on day 2, and more confidently with mostly parallel turns by day 4. One guy on the trip who started out warning us that we wouldn't be friends anymore by the end of the trip if she tried to teach me ended up saying he'd never seen an adult learn to ski so fast.

I went to Copper and Winter Park with the same friend for 3 days a couple weeks ago and by day 3 I was skiing all the blues at Winter Park easily on skis 12 cm longer than the ones I started on and with no fear of what was coming up over the next rise or around the next turn. My turns are parallel and round, but I still sometimes do weird snowplow-y stuff when I stop. I think my trace app said my top speed was 28mph and my friend said I look like I've been skiing for years. I think she's exaggerating a little bit to give me confidence, because I saw a couple videos... I don't look like the beginners snowplowing their way down the hill, but I look far from expert.

I will say that fear is definitely the #1 thing that holds me back. I get in my own head and psych myself out. She took me to my first blue-black run and I stood at the top and practically hyperventilated. Once I got going, I was fine, though I could tell I was pushing my limits controlling my speed, but I didn't fall or even have any close calls. She thinks the blue-blacks and even some smooth blacks are within my ability; I freak out thinking about it.:eek: Definitely a mental game. I halfway wish I could somehow not see the ratings on the signs.

I am going back to Steamboat in March and am planning to take a lesson while I'm there. I still haven't had an official lesson and I don't want any bad habits to become too ingrained.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna