• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Early Jan 2016 demo days in the Mid-Atlantic

marzNC

Angel Diva
Recently realized I never posted my notes from the demo days in early Jan at Whitetail and Massanutten. Terrain was pretty limited given that snowmaking didn't start for the season until Jan. 3 or so. Whitetail is in southern PA. The Whitetail Demo Day on Jan. 8 had about 15 brand tents. Essentially had a choice of two blue/black groomers that take 3-4 min to finish with spring skiing conditions with softened man-made snow and temps in the mid-30s. At Massanutten in northern VA, there was only one tent by a local ski shop. They brought a few popular skis from a few popular brands. Massanutten is my home mountain and this was the fourth time demo'ing there.

About the tester: petite skier over 55, 5’0”, 120 lbs, living in the southeast, solid advanced skier but was an intermediate 7-8 years ago when first went to a demo day, not interested in speed but willing to go fast when the slopes aren’t crowded, interested in finding skis for maximizing turns on short SE/Mid-A groomers. Current narrow skis are Head Absolut Joy, 149cm, with Blizzard Black Pearls, 159cm for mountains with more than 100 acres. I do not know how to review skis in terms of describing how a ski acts. After doing a couple demo days every season for several years, I do know fairly quickly which skis are fun for me and which require more work to achieve the same turns. My notes are probably going to be of most value to other petite skiers.

* Whitetail
** Massanutten

SKIS I LIKED
* Nordica Wild Belle 153, 124-88-108
* Dynastar Glory 84, 156, 123-84-106, R12.0
* Dynastar Elite 11, 153, 121-72-105
* Stöckli Laser SC 156, 122-72-103, R12.3
* Kicker Filibuster 155, 122-73-101, R13; binding moved forward 1cm for second run
** K2 BeLUVed 149, 119-78-108

SKIS THAT REQUIRED WORK
* Blizzard Viva X7ti 153, 121-77-103, R11.5
** Blizzard Viva X7ti 146, 121-77-103, R11.5
* Volkl Chiara 155, 97-77-123, R15.7
** Volkl Kenja 156, 127-90-110
** Volkl Yumi 154, 125-83-103

VOLKL
In general, I haven’t liked any Volkl that much. In recent years, I can handle Volkl skis but find that it takes more work to bend them enough to make carved turns. Even the Chiara was only okay, as opposed to fun. There is no question that once a Volkl is on edge, it will hold well.

BLIZZARD VIVA X7ti
This ski has metal in it. I figured it would be hard for me to bend. I was right. Even the shorter 146cm at Mnut was not particularly fun.

NORDICA WILD BELLE
Took it out first. Easy to turn, not overly exciting.

DYNASTAR GLORY 84
Liked it. Makes me curious about the Glory line in general.

DYNASTAR ELITE 11
Haven’t skied that many skis this narrow, 72 underfoot. Liked it better than I expected. Probably because I’ve learned to carve a lot better since a year ago.

K2 BeLUVed
Similar dimensions as my Head Absolut Joy. The BeLUVed may be a bit better then the Absolut Joy when the snow has been pushed around into little piles.

Stöckli Laser SC
Only ski I asked about price. Retails for about $1000. I liked them a lot! Felt a lot shorter than 156cm. When I had a lesson with my Massanutten coach a few days later, I realized that these are the skis he uses.

I really enjoy reading reviews. Your preferences are opposite to mine in that I love Volkls and it seems the skis generally you liked I did not. I did think the Dynastar Elite 11 was ok but it didn't wow me enough to put it on a list of skis I liked. I didn't care for the Glory 84 at all. I found it didn't hold a great edge. I am the complete opposite as you in that I'm taller and weigh a lot more so different skis float my boat. I don't mean any disrespect with all this just that demoing is such a subjective thing. I really enjoy reading people's takes on various skis. Thanks for your detailed review. :smile:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You really thought the Yumi was work? I dunno how you and I are so similar in size yet you consistently hate Volkl and I consistently love them. lol

How stiff were the Elites? I've been keeping my eye on them for a couple years, but assumed they'd probably be too stiff for me.

marzNC

Angel Diva
You really thought the Yumi was work? I dunno how you and I are so similar in size yet you consistently hate Volkl and I consistently love them. lol

How stiff were the Elites? I've been keeping my eye on them for a couple years, but assumed they'd probably be too stiff for me.
The Yumi did not really require much work, but I'd still would rather be on something else. Could be that 154cm is a little long. That was the shortest pair they brought.

I would guess the Elites were not particularly stiff. Although I can bend skis a lot easier these days than a few years ago. More because of improved technique than increased strength. Since they have a small turn radius of 11, not really a surprise that they were easy to carve on soft snow.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I know - it’s weird. But I’m more or less in the same “camp:” have been on lots of Volkl demos and have never been wow’d by any. First generation Tierra was about as close as I came to “like.” Also didn’t mind the first year Yumi - but it just wasn’t as fun as some of the others I tried (one of which I wound up owning). This year’s Kenja, with which so many are over the moon, was more work than I prefer. (Ditto the Aura from several years ago.) Nothing wrong with the ski at all. I may have been trying too long a length? (163, I only weigh 115) Did, however, love the Atomic Vantage CW, 95 wide, and it was only available to demo in a 170. Go figure.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ah, now I understand better what my coach at Massanutten was trying to show me when he flexed his Laser SC skis after I mentioned that I really enjoyed them at Whitetail. Following is from a review by dawgcatching. I think I'd have it on a "maybe" list if my home mountain was bigger.

"The ski: Stockli's Laser SC is a do-it-all frontside tool and carver. SC stands for “slalom carver” it is 72mm underfoot, 14.9m radius. The ski has a very interesting flex pattern: quite soft at the tip and tail, quite soft laterally at the tip as well (no stiffer than the Stormrider 95), and fairly stiff underfoot. On snow, this gives the skier a very progressive loading feel, predictable release, and energy on demand, without a mind of it's own."

SC or SL ski = GREAT FUN!!!!

As someone said its the most fun you can have with your clothes on..

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
What's also interesting is where you ski. @marzNC skis mid atlantic (where is that anyhow) and trips to Alta. So I am similar size but light like @tinymoose (she is younger and probably has no menopause fat) lol. But we all like different skis. I feel I can ski any ski but prefer some over others. Heck I used to ski skinny salomons that were 180 I think and old Rossi Bandits @ 175 or whatever. I usually demo a ski for 3 days and if in the market will purchase that ski and not try any others. Mostly because in Tahoe at the big resorts it is a super hassle to change out. But the skis that really resonated with me in the past couple of years are quite different:

162 Rossi Saffron - love this ski but would not recommend for ice coast skiers. Did slip and slide a bit in chunky icy snow one day in tahoe, but one day? so what?
152 Blizzard Samba - really loved this ski in Tahoe.... some thought it was too much ski. I thought it was fine and lots of fun and never thought about it being a charging ski, etc and for super aggressive skiers until reading reviews. I had no problem with it at all. Sweet spot was different but after a few runs got used to it.
149 Kenja - old school from 2011 or 2012 (can't remember) - once again at the time demoed this ski for a few days and bought it. Had no idea what level of skier skied it and was so surprised that so many east coast skiers loved it. But now the new kenja appeals to everyone all over the US... Just ask @contesstant ... and her avatar looks pretty good on her kenjas.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mid-Atlantic usually means the states near the Atlantic Ocean that aren't considered New England or in the Southeast. But that means all of New York is included. For skiing, I think of Mid-Atlantic as including WV, VA, MD, PA, NJ, and the Catskills. Of course, people who talk about skiing in the Southeast usually include WV and VA. What the Mid-Atlantic/SE ski areas have in common is that they aren't very big (<200 acres) and depend a lot on snowmaking in order to have a season that usually starts mid-Dec and ends mid-March.

I already know I like Rossi skis so usually don't bother to demo them if there are a lot of other options in the right length. Usually start a conversation at a brand demo tent by asking what is the shortest women's model they brought. Have had less trouble finding skis in the 150s at Mid-Atlantic demo days in recent years. In some cases, the shorter length in the high 140s may be the better length for me. But I can get enough sense of whether or not a ski is fun for me from a few runs on the longer version.

I had the 166cm Blizzard Samba for half a day at Alta last April. Enjoyed them. That was the afternoon the day after the 35 inch powder storm. I played with the Armada VJJ at 165cm in the morning, 115 underfoot. Had them the afternoon before after finding that the Rossi Savory 7 at 106 underfoot, 162cm was not quite enough in the morning with 25+ inches of fresh powder. First time skiing powder that deep on steeper slopes. Great fun!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Wow the Samba @ 166 seems long for a woman our height ! But deep powder in Alta is probably best in a longer ski. Saw you like the DPS Nina .. How about the Nordics Santa Ana? I'd probably go for the Rossi savory 7 in deeper powder. May go to Tahoe this weekend and next week as expecting copious amounts of snow!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Marz! Always good to hear from the little people.:wink: When I was in Taos I demoed the Yumi as well.
I returned it after two long runs. (Taos has some nice long slopes with variable terrain ). Then I tried the Rossi Temptation 84. Not impressed with those either. I also tried the Fischer Ranger 89 and really liked this ski a lot. It reminded me of the Dynastar Glory 84 which I enjoyed when I demoed that in Arizona. All of these skis were in the mid 150s in length. I'm not too comfortable on anything below 150. So, I am trying the Filibuster as soon as we get some new snow out here, which may be next week!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do VA and MD really count as mid-atlantic? I always lumped them in with the south. Although, growing up in Ohio I thought we were midwest, but not if you ask people in Missouri. They think Ohio is east coast.

ETA: Maybe I can see Maryland, but I definitely consider Virginia the south. And New York, is... I never know what they are. It's like they're northeast, but not officially New England. Great Lakes? lol

marzNC

Angel Diva
Do VA and MD really count as mid-atlantic? I always lumped them in with the south. Although, growing up in Ohio I thought we were midwest, but not if you ask people in Missouri. They think Ohio is east coast.

ETA: Maybe I can see Maryland, but I definitely consider Virginia the south. And New York, is... I never know what they are. It's like they're northeast, but not officially New England. Great Lakes? lol
New York is such a big state, it's really is hard to put in one region. I grew up in NYC, which is very, very different than the Adirondack region where I went to school or the Finger Lakes region where I went to summer camp. Spent a week with a camp friend who lived in a town with a population of 600. Talk about culture shock coming from the big city! When I moved to NC in high school, I definitely thought of NY as part of New England. I had a lot more in common with my friends at my MA prep school than the kids who grew up in North Carolina.

MD and VA are considered Mid-Atlantic because of their coastlines. Different ocean patterns than NC and the coastal states south of NC. But according to Wikipedia there are several different definitions of "mid-Atlantic" if you look at historical documents, including U.S. government definitions for census purposes.

From a skiing standpoint, VA and WV are either Southeast or Mid-Atlantic depending on where someone is driving from. Families from GA and FL will consider driving to VA (Massanutten timeshare) or WV (Snowshoe) on an annual basis. Families from Pittsburgh drive to Snowshoe, as well as Canaan Valley/Timberline. Wisp is in MD, so that's why MD is also Mid-Atlantic to me as far as skiing goes.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks Marz! Always good to hear from the little people.:wink: When I was in Taos I demoed the Yumi as well.
I returned it after two long runs. (Taos has some nice long slopes with variable terrain ). Then I tried the Rossi Temptation 84. Not impressed with those either. I also tried the Fischer Ranger 89 and really liked this ski a lot. It reminded me of the Dynastar Glory 84 which I enjoyed when I demoed that in Arizona. All of these skis were in the mid 150s in length. I'm not too comfortable on anything below 150. So, I am trying the Filibuster as soon as we get some new snow out here, which may be next week!
Out west I would be unlikely to rent the Temptation 84. Demo'd it at Massanutten in Jan 2015, along with the Temptation 80, and liked both for groomed manmade snow.

On a big mountain, I would go with mid-150s if I were getting something 72-85 underfoot. My Black Pearls are 88mm and 159cm, which is perfect. But for short groomed trails in the Mid-Atlantic, going short at 148cm for the Absolute Joy has worked out well. Just a little easier to turn . . . and less weight to carry to/from the parking lot. Have been using them for lessons and working on technique.

Be interested to hear how you like the Filibuster. I keep telling the Kicker guys that they are missing a market by not having much under 160cm.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Be interested to hear how you like the Filibuster. I keep telling the Kicker guys that they are missing a market by not having much under 160cm.

Yeah, they don't make anything close to a length I can ski, but I doubt they ever will either. Oh well. I'll just have to admire everyone else's skis. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow the Samba @ 166 seems long for a woman our height ! But deep powder in Alta is probably best in a longer ski. Saw you like the DPS Nina .. How about the Nordics Santa Ana? I'd probably go for the Rossi savory 7 in deeper powder. May go to Tahoe this weekend and next week as expecting copious amounts of snow!
It's been a progression. The first time I rented wider skis at Alta, I tried the Blizzard Crush, 98 underfoot, at 164cm and that was too long. I changed out for the 156cm and had a much better time. Everything I checked out during a personal demo day at Big Sky in 2013 was in the 150s. That's when I figured out that I really liked Black Pearls at 159cm. The Temptation 88 was too long at 162cm at the 2013 Alta Demo Day. But the Temptation 80 felt good at 160cm.

I started taking lessons more regularly during the 2012-13 season after knee rehab the summer/fall of 2012. The Dynastar Cham 97 was the first 166cm ski that felt fine, obviously because of the tip rocker. Having had a few powder lessons in the last couple seasons, when I rent for a powder day any fat (95-115mm) ski in the mid-160s is okay if one of my favorites is not available.

Never come across the Santa Ana to try. The shop at Alta where I usually rent doesn't carry Rossi, so that's why I don't get the Savory 7 that often. For the 25+ inch dump last April, I took out the 162cm Savory 7 in the morning (Alta Lodge Powder House). At 106 underfoot, didn't feel wide enough. I changed out for the Armada VJJ at 165cm, 115 underfoot. That was more fun that afternoon and the next morning. I switched to the Blizzard Samba, 98mm, at 166cm in the afternoon. That was fun as well. Usually by late season the DPS Nina 99 demo skis have already been sold so I like to have a backup plan for skis that are around 100mm underfoot.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yeah, they don't make anything close to a length I can ski, but I doubt they ever will either. Oh well. I'll just have to admire everyone else's skis. :smile:
The first skis I bought were about 140cm when I started skiing with my daughter as she was learning. 150cm felt very long for quite a while. Given how many Divas bought Kicker skis after a demo, I haven't given up on them yet. One of the guys isn't that tall so I think he understands that being on the short side doesn't mean someone can't be a pretty good skier who likes to buy skis. :wink:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna