• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Don't Mess with Texas

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
https://www.outsideonline.com/news-...Prairie-Texas-to-Offer-Year-round-Skiing.html

This apparently is going to happen. Soon.
Yikes.
grand-alps-resort-texas_h.jpg

Developers in Grand Prairie, Texas, will soon break ground on a 350,000-square-foot indoor ski facility and hotel,reports CBS.

The Grand Alps Resort will offer seven different slopes, from beginner to expert, featuring the longest indoor ski run in the world (300 feet tall and 1,200 feet long), an Olympic halfpipe and terrain park, and forest runs as steep as 28 degrees. At the base of the slopes, plans include a four-star, 300-room Hard Rock Hotel with two restaurants and a theater.

The whole project should cost $215 million. Sherman Thurston, co-chairman of the Grand Alps Group, told the Dallas Business Journalthat he’s building similar facilities in Spain, Brazil, and Malaysia.

Grand Prairie, on average, breaks 90 degrees 95 days per year. The snow dome will remain a cool 28 degrees at all times.

Construction is set to begin in the coming year and is estimated to finish in 2018. Notably, two other ski developments in the Dallas-Fort Worth area folded in the past decade, one during the financial collapse in 2009.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Wouldn't that use a ton of water? And with Texas under extreme drought conditions?
Hey - Maine doesn't even have enough power to run business and industry. What do I know. Lots of serious $ in TX, and I'm sure they'll charge plenty for this, with a 4-star Hard Rock Hotel going in.

On a much $smaller scale$, Jay Peak made an indoor water park work. Everyone in region was "meh" about it. The place is busy - all year. So who knows.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
What ever happened Xanadu here in the East?
a/k/a "The Eyesore?" I heard another interest took over it - and there is still a plan to eventually get it open. However, after this length of time, the structure itself has developed some issues. So.....don't anyone hold their breath...

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I lived in the Dallas area for 13 years and yes a lot of money there. I remember people being hired to put Christmas lights outside.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna