1. Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an internet forum without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam.

Divas who are musicians?

Discussion in 'Off Season Sports' started by Tvan, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jelenad

jelenad Certified Ski Diva

I played the flute and piano... but am noy good at either any more...
  2. jelenad

jelenad Certified Ski Diva

That's what happens when the parents are not pushingyou to practice anmore. I wilsh I were more persistent...
  3. shima

shima Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I can play flute and piano competently and then harp at a beginner's level. I also sing. Dad was a music major, as was Nana (his mother). Dad majored in music ed with a flute focus at Northwestern University, Nana majored in music ed with a piano focus at Juliard (shortly after the depression, this amazing woman turned 98 at the end of last year). Mom sings in choirs all over the local area she lives. Harp I decided to learn in college because I was always fascinated in it as a child, took 3 semesters of lessons in college. Piano I started at age 5, flute I started in the 3rd grade, singing I started in the 4th grade.

I don't own a harp and although I do still own my flute I only ever play my piano and sing these days and not anywhere near as often as my college and high school days :smile:
  4. shima

My dad taught at a special needs school for music ed for a year or two, then he got hired at the elementary school I ended up going to when I was born, and taught the computer lab from then on until he retired a few years ago.
  5. SkiNana

SkiNana Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Me three. I remember coming home in sixth grade, begging my mother to let me play flute in the band - and absolutely promising that I would continue to practice piano. Right. I played through high school in concert and marching bands, but when I got into MSU, they didn't allow women in the marching band. That pretty much ended my music career. Like missyd, I discovered not long ago that my skills had so deteriorated I needed a fingering chart and my music reading skills were pretty bad. If I could have one talent in life, it would be a lovely voice. I can't sing and it makes me so sad.

Rooted for the Redskins for the 35 years we lived in the area: what a blast to consider going out for their band!
  6. mustski

mustski Angel Diva

gardenmary, we absolutely have to meet up and go skiing! I am a theatre teacher ... including musical theatre. Contesstant and I met up over the holidays while you were in Utah :jealous: but we have to meet up so we can chat! Hopefully, this warm spell will change and we will get some snow!:goodluck:
  7. gardenmary

gardenmary Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I think change is in the air.....we'll have a Diva Day in SoCal VERY soon!!
  8. shima

Should be getting snow in Tahoe soon too!

We should have a Diva Jam Session, hehe.
  9. Downunder Diva

Downunder Diva Angel Diva

I play guitar, banjo and fiddle, though definitely stronger on guitar. I played in an Irish band called 'le cheile' (pronounced la kay-lah) for over 10 years playing traditional irish dance music - it means togetherness btw - just as well I knew that because we had some right old irish 'barneys' at times. I stopped playing a few years ago which was sad, due to breaking my strumming and base picking thumb skiing ... it's never quite been the same after that... :Cry:
  10. NZfarmgirl

NZfarmgirl Ski Diva Extraordinaire

:bump:
    Found this while searching something else.
    I play piano/keyboard, and the Ukulele. I used to play guitar but I have some metal and screws in my left wrist now which has made making chord shapes too painful. The neck on the Uke is small enough to make it bearable. I have a nice concert sized Ukulele, black and shiny -very Johnny cash (if he had played uke) I'm not that good at it yet.
    I really enjoy the New Zealand Wellington Ukulele orchestra- they are so funny.
    I play piano at church each Sunday and sing in our local theatre shows. I sometimes teach kids at the local school and run a kids choir. But I've not done choir this year.
    I used to be in some proper church bands, with guitars, drums, sax, etc, but I now live in a small area with very few musicians. I do miss working in a group.

Check out this youtube clip of the Wellington international ukulele orchestra: