• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Congrats Skisailor!!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Thanks you guys!

I am on cloud 9 about this. :yahoo:
I really did not expect to pass and am still in a state of shock!

For any others seeking to become instructors or seeking higher certs, and for all of us in our personal skiing, I got some fantastic advice from @KatyPerrey. Thank you Katy!! She told me to focus on nailing the low end demos. For PSIA Level 2, that means wedge turns, wedge christies, and basic open parallel turns.

She explained that doing these well would ensure that I had ownership of, and could demonstrate, the essential skiing skills that then translate into the higher level certification tasks and free skiing. And she was so right!

One of my examiners confirmed that candidates who focus on the low end demos seem to do better overall.

So I spent hours and hours and hours working on these !!!! (Under the patient tutelage and watchful eye of @Ursula). Not kidding!
So many nuances of stance, arm position, edge release, progressive flexion and extension, correct direction of movement into the turn, timing of weight shift, proper angulation, consistent turn shape, speed control, etc. etc. All while skiing on green runs at 5 mph. Lol!

I guess it paid off for the certification, but it also definitely improved my personal skiing! :smile::smile:

Ursula

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So many nuances of stance, arm position, edge release, progressive flexion and extension, correct direction of movement into the turn, timing of weight shift, proper angulation, consistent turn shape, speed control, etc. etc. All while skiing on green runs at 5 mph. Lol!

Yes, and now she can walk, chew bubble gum, whistle a song and juggle a chainsaw, bowling ball and a kitten (while she is smiling) all at the same time. :wink:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are making me want to become an instructor, because I think the best way for me to get great, consistent coaching and to improve my skiing is to do so. I'm glad Katy gave you such great advice! Good to know!

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, skisailor, I should hire you! My stupid hands are still all wrong and right at my sides. Green slope stuff, for sure! Let me know if you ever moonlight in Maine!

Big huge congratulations!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Well, skisailor, I should hire you! My stupid hands are still all wrong and right at my sides. Green slope stuff, for sure! Let me know if you ever moonlight in Maine!

Big huge congratulations!

Thank you! :smile::smile::smile: At your service.

Try making a few runs with your gloves on the wrong hands (switch left and right) so you are more aware of what your hands are doing.

For any others seeking to become instructors or seeking higher certs, and for all of us in our personal skiing, I got some fantastic advice from @KatyPerrey. Thank you Katy!! She told me to focus on nailing the low end demos. For PSIA Level 2, that means wedge turns, wedge christies, and basic open parallel turns.

She explained that doing these well would ensure that I had ownership of, and could demonstrate, the essential skiing skills that then translate into the higher level certification tasks and free skiing. And she was so right!

One of my examiners confirmed that candidates who focus on the low end demos seem to do better overall.

Huge congratulations!!!

I just completed my first season of instructing and plan to get my level 1 next season. The advice you received from KatyPerrey reminds me of one of my clinics before I was hired. Steve, who ran the clinic has turned out to be a super nice guy but has a kinda scary drill sergeant demeanor, especially when you don't know him said this very thing. During the clinic he wanted us all to ski down the trail with our skis in a wedge and turn to the left and to the right. I guess we all just wanted to show him we knew how to ski didn't do this at all, we just skied. He "yelled" at us and said no that's not what I wanted you to do.

He said as instructors showing the students exactly what we want them to do will help them follow us better. He also said that doing these wedge turns and basic open parallel turns in a slow controlled manner showed him more that we knew how to really ski than if we zipped down the hill. It was then that I realized that knowing these essential things and being able to do them well would help me more later on .

Thanks for being an inspiration!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna