• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Chairlift Rescue Yesterday at A-Basin

Jilly

Staff member
I've always worried about backpacks. I don't really see the need at A-Basin for one, but....

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow. Very lucky.

Also, I have never before heard of professional slacklining.

I had a strap of my backpack caught in a lift once ... I think chair 6 at Breck. I don't remember exactly how it was caught, but I was able to keep my head and untangle fast enough to get off the lift. That was a small backpack without many straps.

It's nice to be able to carry stuff with you. I started last season carrying a backpack because I thought I would be doing more skiing out of gates into backcountry, and I wanted to get used to carrying all the stuff. But then an instructor demonstrated to me that the backpack was causing me to use upper body rotation. He said that the backpack, especially with the lower strap, sort of tricks your body into thinking the spine can't twist. Anyway, it convinced me, and now I only wear a backpack when I need it, like touring.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG I just realized the rescuer did this in ski boots.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What an amazing and gutsy rescue! Personally, I cannot stand to see backpacks worn by skiers on the lifts. Yes, I know these accessories are used by many and for generally good reasons. However, I have witnessed several similar situations where backpacks have been snagged just before the user needs to disembark. As a fellow rider on high speed 4+ person chairlifts with people who wear large packs --often overstuffed---I get nervous. Getting everyone off the lift simultaneously without incident is bad enough, but packs and pole straps can be an real issue when the chairlift is carrying different levels of experience. The worst thing for me are those people who just have to get into their pack on the lift to extract some unimportant item. They must shift their body to remove the pack, take off gloves, move their poles, etc; then get themselves organized again for the exit.AND MY HUSBAND IS ONE OF THESE PEOPLE.:doh::nono:

I'm not against packs altogether. They serve a purpose. But I truly hate to see the weekend warriors out there wearing packs just because they think it's needed, or cool.

The men in the incident at A-Basin are not these types, I get that. Yet the pack was the featured cause of the incident.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The smaller places in Ontario that I used to ski didn't allow backpacks- and to me it seemed awkward to wear one while skiing or sitting on the lift anyhow. I got in the habit of stuffing pockets (smooshed sandwich, anyone?) or when with the kids would wear an -eek- fanny pack under my jacket. A little bulky, but nothing to get hung up on anything that way. I miss my old pants and jacket that had pockets everywhere.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are pros and cons either way. I skied for years with a pack, but when I finally ditched it I swear my skiing improved.

Jilly

Staff member
I can see a pack if like bounceswoosh states - possibility of going out of bounds or far off piste. Most resorts in North America you don't need one for daily skiing. Europe is another story as you can go between villages etc.

I watched a couple this weekend, Mom and Dad, both with some weird pack that had 3 large velcro straps on them. I've never seen it before. It's wasn't to tie on skis or snowboard as it was on the main pocket. All I could think of, what if that gets caught on the back of the chair.

I will admit that I will be taking a small pack to WB with me. It's because I want my camera stuff with me. And water.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mean, there is certainly an appropriate time and place for a pack still, and it would be a shame if resorts started banning them simply because people can't seem to figure out how to ride a chair lift properly. I don't back-country ski (though I totally would if I lived in a ski town), but I'd still use a pack if I was going out to Blue Sky Basin in Vail, for example, or if I knew that I wanted to spend a full day in the trees and not come down. I did downsize my pack though. But really, the last few trips I haven't used it at all. I'm less Hunchback of the Ski Hill now. :smile:

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I often wonder what people carry in those packs. Some look so heavy that they would spoil the joy of skiing for me. I get kids needs but what needs do adults have that their packs are so full?

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm... well I'd typically carry an extra layer, or the one that I had removed when I got too hot. A few snacks, water, extra lenses, sunglasses, and gloves, maybe a hat. Non-ski gloves for holding my beer outside at lunch. :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is such a thing as a ski vest - some patrollers wear them. Seem more comfortable (maybe not on the lift) and also less prone to getting caught.

I don't know the right search terms, but here are a few:

https://www.dakine.com/heli-vest.html

https://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-powder-guide-vest-mens

And then again, why you have to be sure that the shovel pouch is enclosed (this applies to packs as well):

https://snowbrains.com/wearing-vest-instead-backpack-avalanche-terrain-dangerous/

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
THAT IS TERRIFYING!!! Brings me back to when I was teaching my 4 year old to ski. She had on one of those little harness things so that I could guide her. She became more confident and wanted to get off the lift without me assisting..No Hands, mommy. So, I quickly tucked the harness straps into her hood and started to get off the lift. Her strap got wrapped around a slat on the lift and she swung around and started back down the hill...horrible...Great outcome, but a big scare!!

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I do occasionally still take a pack if we plan to have lunch on the top of the mountain and there are no lockers. So... a thermos with some soup, usually. Aaaaaand maybe a tiny thermos of margaritas. :smile: But if I'm lucky I can pawn the pack-toting off on someone else in my group.

mustski

Angel Diva
I have 2 camelbacks and one of them is more for day hiking so bigger, with more pockets. I use that one at big mountains in spring because it holds more water, and I can ditch layers if needed. I always worry about carrying a pack on the lift though. Usually I take it off and carry it up in front of me.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My humble home hill is the size of a postage stamp and yet some peeps (i.e., teenage boys) insist on carrying packs. Huge packs. It must be all about looking cool since there is no rational reason to carry one at a resort our size.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
THAT IS TERRIFYING!!! Brings me back to when I was teaching my 4 year old to ski. She had on one of those little harness things so that I could guide her. She became more confident and wanted to get off the lift without me assisting..No Hands, mommy. So, I quickly tucked the harness straps into her hood and started to get off the lift. Her strap got wrapped around a slat on the lift and she swung around and started back down the hill...horrible...Great outcome, but a big scare!!

Really scary when it involves a kid! I saw a kid (about 4 years old) fall from the lift last year - fortunately, right into the safety net that hangs just in front of the offloading ramp. Luckily, he was just fine and thought it was all fun and games and laughter. And it was kinda funny to watch the (somewhat portly) patroller try to negotiate the net w/ski boots.

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been thinking about leaving the backpack at home all season, because I think it's throwing off my balance when I ski (especially on bumps). After reading this story, the backpack is staying home this weekend!

Several years ago, I was caught on the Indian Peaks lift at Eldora because of a long backpack strap. Luckily the lift stopped for me. I should have stopped using the backpack then!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly