• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Can't get my boots on

newboots

Angel Diva
so I had this idea that it would be good to practice putting on my boots. In the shop the bootfitter helped, of course, but it was difficult. I should have made him teach me.

I split the boot open (like they show you in the YouTube videos) but when I hit the stuck spot going in, my ankles hurt! I am sensitive about them. One was sprained in June, and the other has been sprained more than once. So I choke. I guess I'm just supposed to muscle through this and get over my fear that my ankle is going to break?

Hmm. Putting on my hockey skates was challenging in the beginning. They are probably looser now, not to mention the confidence of having worn them hundreds of times.

I sure am glad I can ask this here, and not on Epic.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I generally pull the tongue up and out, and bend my knee forward a bunch (while standing). You might want to practice with just a nylon stocking on- your foot will be a smidge smaller than with your ski socks, and it can help your foot slide in easier too.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got a pair of ZipFit liners, which you put on first and then put your foot in the boot shell. I do it by standing over the boot while inserting my liner-clad foot in the shell, and it's really easy; I don't feel that moment that I think you're describing where your ankle feels unnaturally compressed and painful. Might be something to try; the ZipFits have laces, so it would be more awkward with regular stock liners, but perhaps workable? Also heating the shell with a boot warmer might help the boot to open up more. I know a lot of Divas have heated boot bags--I wonder if they make it easier to get boots on in the morning?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you storing your boots indoors - not outside?

newboots

Angel Diva
@diymom Thanks! Great idea about the nylons. I will try the bending knee/standing up technique. Only one of the videos showed the guy standing up.

newboots

Angel Diva
@SallyCat I'm going to try this if the nylon stockings don't work.

@bounceswoosh indoors, but it's a cooler part of my house. Cold tile floor and far from the radiator. I'll put them in a warmer room.

Thanks!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boot fitters are definitely magical when it comes to helping you into and out of boots. A friend who's a boot fitter happened to be there when I blew out my knee, and he was able to take off my ski boot light as a feather - it didn't jostle my leg in the slightest. Amazing.

Ankle injuries make it *so* hard to get into boots. Does your ankle bother you when you do calf stretches?

Christy

Angel Diva
Fyi because of my foot shape there's only one boot I can get into comfortably. There was a Technica boot that also fit my foot but it was so painful and such a struggle to get in and out of that boot the sales guy and I agreed it wasn't an option. So I'm wondering, if it's so hard to get in, is it really the right boot for you?

altagirl

Staff member
I agree that warm boots are key. DH left his on the truck overnight on a trip once and literally could not get them on. we had to go find a shop that could heat them up. Lost at least an hour or two of skiing.

newboots

Angel Diva
Boot fitters are definitely magical when it comes to helping you into and out of boots. A friend who's a boot fitter happened to be there when I blew out my knee, and he was able to take off my ski boot light as a feather - it didn't jostle my leg in the slightest. Amazing.

Ankle injuries make it *so* hard to get into boots. Does your ankle bother you when you do calf stretches?

My ankles are better, with months of PT. I am just a bit gun-shy when there's any pain.

newboots

Angel Diva
Fyi because of my foot shape there's only one boot I can get into comfortably. There was a Technica boot that also fit my foot but it was so painful and such a struggle to get in and out of that boot the sales guy and I agreed it wasn't an option. So I'm wondering, if it's so hard to get in, is it really the right boot for you?

Hi @Christy - these boots felt good when I tried them in in the shop, nice and snug, a tiny bit of room for my toes when I got my heel properly seated. I think I just have to learn the right way to do it and feel brave about that moment when it feels too tight going in.

Thanks!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try heating them up and see if that works any better. If it does, you should invest in a HotGear boot bag so you can both dry them out and heat them up each time you're going out. Using nylons or slippery liner socks may help some as well.

I have the same issue with my Langes (both ankles sprained multiple time) and can only get them on when they're really warm. Getting them off after a day on the slopes, when they've chilled off, regularly involves cussing, swearing, opposite foot prying, tears, and pleas to others for help.

newboots

Angel Diva
The Divas came through for me! Warmer boots, nylons, and the realization that this was a common issue and not just me being awkward were a big help!

@volklgirl I'm glad I'm not the only one who might face these problems with cussing, tears and pleas for help! I anticipate all of these with lessons and (I fervently hope no) injuries. I was down much of the summer with a sprained ankle and a broken hand, surgery and infection included.

Grateful for everyone 's help!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Cold ski boot removal hack: procure (if not household available) an inexpensive blow dryer, preferably one for travel that folds up. Keep in boot bag. Use to heat up boots prior to removing. Works. :becky:

newboots

Angel Diva
Cold ski boot removal hack: procure (if not household available) an inexpensive blow dryer, preferably one for travel that folds up. Keep in boot bag. Use to heat up boots prior to removing. Works. :becky:

I just ran across a spare, unneeded hair dryer a few weeks ago. I hope I didn't throw it away! It's a small one, too.

Thanks, @MaineSkiLady!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And don't forget to give yourself a pat on the back for thinking to practice putting them on before your first day at the slope. A little less awkward figuring this stuff out in the comfort of your own living room :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
No kidding, @diymom! The aforementioned cussing and tears would be much more upsetting in public! Next I'm going to practice putting them in the bindings. I don't know; hopefully I don't need to practice putting on ski pants. I seem to remember snow pants were a challenge back in first grade . . .

newboots

Angel Diva
@volklgirl Ordered my heated boot bag. I have a hybrid electric car (Volt) and the heating system will not provide what I think I'll need for warm boots. I've tried it with skates - they don't get very warm in the car regardless of blasting heat. Thanks for the suggestion; I think I'll be happy with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly