• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Breckenridge - crowds and skis

RuthB

Angel Diva
So it looks like our Japan plan is turning into the Breck plan, which is looking very exciting, but before we commit there are a couple of questions that I have.

First, we'd be at Breck from the 3rd to the 18th January (would have to be at the airport around lunch-time) - so we have one ordinary weekend and MLK weekend. I've heard about crowds, but not found anything that quantifies them in terms that I can relate to, namely lift queue times (10 minutes? 40 minutes? longer). We would be staying a short walk from peak 9 or shuttle to peak 8 and regardless of where we start from we'd probably head up and stay up top.

Second, having just dropped off the trusty auras to get two, possibly small core shots fixed before we head south, I'll probably buy new skis in January - list to demo at the moment is Nordica Santa Ana & Enforcer; Blizzard Samba and Bonafide and probably the new Aura (except I hate the current graphics, which I know shouldn't influence my choice, and also maybe it's time for a change). There's an outside chance that I can demo the Blizzards and possibly the enforcer here, but not the Santa Ana's since the importer isn't bringing any in. Is there anywhere in Breck that I can demo and potentially buy Nordica's and Blizzard's.

Thanks

Jenny

Angel Diva
I think that Christy Sports has Nordicas - not sure about any other brands they have, but I know they told me that everything in their store could be demoed. This was at Keystone, though, so I'm not sure how convenient a Breck location is.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First, we'd be at Breck from the 3rd to the 18th January (would have to be at the airport around lunch-time) - so we have one ordinary weekend and MLK weekend. I've heard about crowds, but not found anything that quantifies them in terms that I can relate to, namely lift queue times (10 minutes? 40 minutes? longer). We would be staying a short walk from peak 9 or shuttle to peak 8 and regardless of where we start from we'd probably head up and stay up top.

Do you mean "head up" as in sticking to chair 6, E chair, Imperial, T-Bar, Kensho? Or "head up" as in not leaving the resort?

During the week, Breck isn't really crowded, although I've found that on good snow days, there's an inversion effect - the upper mountain lifts, which access the most difficult terrain, are busier than the lower lifts if there's a midweek powder day. But still not terribly busy.

During the weekends, Breck earns its reputation for lines, although avoiding the base area makes the situation much better. If you get a bonafide powder day and can afford it, taking a lesson and getting to zoom through the cheater lines guarantees big smiles. I did that with some friends one powder day and clocked 11 runs on chair 6 while the line was so long that snowboarders were walking back up Frosty's to avoid it. I only stopped because my legs weren't functioning anymore. (That was a weird situation - early season, not much open, so the crowds couldn't disperse, and you couldn't just ski down to E chair.)

Presidents' weekend can be hit or miss. The last several times I skied Breck on Sunday of that weekend, expecting big lines, I was pleasantly surprised.

As for how long lift lines are in terms of time - I am usually in a lesson on weekends, so I don't experience much of it, but no, I can't remember a time I ever stood 40 minutes in a line. But again, avoiding the lifts at the base is key. If you're planning to lap Colorado chair on peak 8, that's gonna suck on a weekend. Same for Beaver Run. Independence can get a bit mobbed, but it usually clears out quickly. All of them are pretty empty for the first hour and a half, though.

Breck deserves its rep for being crowded, but at the same time it is possible to have a great day skiing there on the weekend. I don't know about the skill level of your crew, but if you're limited to blues and greens, that will make it hard to escape the crowds.

Paging @Xinga for her thoughts.

Second, having just dropped off the trusty auras to get two, possibly small core shots fixed before we head south, I'll probably buy new skis in January - list to demo at the moment is Nordica Santa Ana & Enforcer; Blizzard Samba and Bonafide and probably the new Aura (except I hate the current graphics, which I know shouldn't influence my choice, and also maybe it's time for a change). There's an outside chance that I can demo the Blizzards and possibly the enforcer here, but not the Santa Ana's since the importer isn't bringing any in. Is there anywhere in Breck that I can demo and potentially buy Nordica's and Blizzard's.

I'm almost certain there are, but I don't have any info on that.

Xinga

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Breck deserves its rep for being crowded, but at the same time it is possible to have a great day skiing there on the weekend. I don't know about the skill level of your crew, but if you're limited to blues and greens, that will make it hard to escape the crowds.

Completely agree. And I can't think of anything else to add.

There are many rental/demo shops in town. We have only used Mountain Wave (to try Icelantics) and Lone Star (Fattypus) for demos a couple seasons ago, and they were both fine. It can be a bit of a hassle to get all the way down the mountain to the shops and then back up again to try different skis, so I would suggest limiting to 1 or two pairs a day to try. I don't know who in town has Nordica or Blizzard, but there are lots of them on the hill, so they must be around somewhere.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are staying near Peak 9, I would suggest heading up the Beaver Run chair in the morning. Lots of people park in the gondola lot and take the gondola up which results in crowds on Peak 8 (Colorado Super Chair and Rocky Mountain). Less crowds at Peak 9 and you get up quicker, take the midload of the Super Connect and up high.

I know that the one shop that carried Nordicas and Blizzards, closed. I would try Racer's Edge or Alpine Sports. Precision Ski and Golf in Frisco has a fair amount of high end demo skis as well.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you mean "head up" as in sticking to chair 6, E chair, Imperial, T-Bar, Kensho? Or "head up" as in not leaving the resort?

During the week, Breck isn't really crowded, although I've found that on good snow days, there's an inversion effect - the upper mountain lifts, which access the most difficult terrain, are busier than the lower lifts if there's a midweek powder day. But still not terribly busy.

During the weekends, Breck earns its reputation for lines, although avoiding the base area makes the situation much better. If you get a bonafide powder day and can afford it, taking a lesson and getting to zoom through the cheater lines guarantees big smiles. I did that with some friends one powder day and clocked 11 runs on chair 6 while the line was so long that snowboarders were walking back up Frosty's to avoid it. I only stopped because my legs weren't functioning anymore. (That was a weird situation - early season, not much open, so the crowds couldn't disperse, and you couldn't just ski down to E chair.)

Presidents' weekend can be hit or miss. The last several times I skied Breck on Sunday of that weekend, expecting big lines, I was pleasantly surprised

I have found this, as well. (Hit or miss.) They will be there MLK weekend, however, not Presidents. It's usually a little calmer that weekend, but I think you're still in for more crowds. Might schedule a rest day in there.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have found this, as well. (Hit or miss.) They will be there MLK weekend, however, not Presidents. It's usually a little calmer that weekend, but I think you're still in for more crowds. Might schedule a rest day in there.

Oops. Brainfart on the holiday. If you're staying there, you can always check it out, then head back to the condo if/when it gets too crowded. There are some great places for margaritas in Breck, too ....

RuthB

Angel Diva
Thanks for all of the replies.

Bounceswoosh, by head up I mean head higher up the mountain and stay there.

Skill level, preferred terrain bowls, trees, off-piste. DS and I like chutes, natural terrain features, dh not so much. All comfortable on black, double black.

We tend to ski every day but will have epic local passes so may try a- basin and keystone also.

We won't have a car, so reliant on bus. I'm debating leaving my skis at home and demoing then purchasing while away. Given where we are likely to be skiing this domestic season demo opportunities are likely to be limited.

Speaking of margaritas, what are the liquor laws in Colorado? Specifically can you go to a bar for an apres beer with a 12 year old in tow? I seem to remember in Denver some weirdness around he could sit in one part of the hotel bar but not others.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Speaking of margaritas, what are the liquor laws in Colorado? Specifically can you go to a bar for an apres beer with a 12 year old in tow? I seem to remember in Denver some weirdness around he could sit in one part of the hotel bar but not others.

It's up to the owner of the restaurant, whether they allow accompanied minors or not. So it just depends. (At least this is what I was told last year ... because some times we have been able to do it, others not, so I asked about the law, and was told there is none. It's just whatever the policy is at the establishment.)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I see kids at Quandary regularly, but maybe not sitting directly at the bar. Um ... maybe a stupid question ... does anyone actually enjoy sitting at the bar?

RuthB

Angel Diva
Thanks Pinto and bounceswoosh. So there is some hope of an apres beer.

Re the lessons, we've largely ended up not doing any lessons on weekends because of instructors being committed to local groups on weekends. DS will do something in the first week, but we now leave decisions about how much until we get there. We've had some great experiences and some average ones (both me and DS). Now that he can ski almost anything its not so much of an issue.

Christy

Angel Diva
does anyone actually enjoy sitting at the bar?

Do you mean at that particular place, or in general? In general, yes, we like to sit at the bar and make friends with the bartender, or sometimes other patrons...the bar is sort of a social spot, if you don't want to cloister yourself in a booth. I like sitting at a bar if I'm traveling alone and want to eat at a good restaurant--it's pretty easy to get a solo bar seat in an otherwise busy place (also then I'm not taking up a 2 or 4-top).

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you mean at that particular place, or in general? In general, yes, we like to sit at the bar and make friends with the bartender, or sometimes other patrons...the bar is sort of a social spot, if you don't want to cloister yourself in a booth. I like sitting at a bar if I'm traveling alone and want to eat at a good restaurant--it's pretty easy to get a solo bar seat in an otherwise busy place (also then I'm not taking up a 2 or 4-top).

I meant in general. Thanks! I have an aversion to sitting where my feet don't touch the ground - maybe it's just me. It seems tiring. And the bar tends to mean lots of people coming up behind you to order drinks - I am much more comfortable sitting somewhere where I can scan the horizon. When DH gets that position, I tell him it's his job to make sure no one shivs us. My psychiatrist calls this hypervigilance - I call it sensible precaution!

Christy

Angel Diva
And the bar tends to mean lots of people coming up behind you to order drinks

In crowded club-type bars where lots of people are standing and thus have to order at the bar, I agree a table is better. But there are plenty of places (most bars that I go to, and especially bars in restaurants) where there is no standing room, so everyone is seated and has a server, and no one crowds you at the bar to order.

The best is when you've befriended a bartender at a very good cocktail bar, and you express interest in what s/he is doing, and they make a little extra of cocktails others ordered for you to try.

The best is when you've befriended a bartender at a very good cocktail bar, and you express interest in what s/he is doing, and they make a little extra of cocktails others ordered for you to try.

We have this new bar we've been going to called the Crafty Monk. We sit at the bar, always seem to get the same bartender who's this really nice guy. We both like different kinds of beer and he remembers this and each time we've been in so far he's right there with random samples. He gave me a sample of this beer that they will be having at happy hour starting thursday at 4 so hoping we get sprung at work early so we can head over there.

Sorry this has nothing to do with Breckenridge; I just saw the comment about when you form a relationship with a bartender and benefit from that and I got excited.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry this has nothing to do with Breckenridge; I just saw the comment about when you form a relationship with a bartender and benefit from that and I got excited.

A waiter at the Quandary one summer heard me talking about edibles and pointed me to the closest dispensary; that's sort of the same, right?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna