• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot stiffness and temperature

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When it gets cold does it make any difference anymore what the "flex" of the boot is? At least my boots get rock hard in -25 C (-13F) - tried that for a few days in Lapland :loco:

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When it gets cold does it make any difference anymore what the "flex" of the boot is? At least my boots get rock hard in -25 C (-13F) - tried that for a few days in Lapland :loco:

yes it makes a lot of difference! boots get rock hard in extreme cold and soft and sloppy when it's super warm. that's just a characteristic of plastic and it will be that way until we start making ski boots out of something else....

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But when it gets really cold is there any difference between say 80 flex boot and 110 flex boot? Or are they so hard anyway that it's irrelevant?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
No, it would be proportional, at least in boots of similar plastics (and most are similar) - not sure of the percentage here, but obviously a 110 would be stiffer in cold temps than an 80, just as it would be at room temp.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
During Winter Olympic coverage, they showed one of the skiers standing knee deep in a pile of snow - with coaches packing snow onto him/her with a shovel, and said it was to keep the boots colder (and therefore stiffer) on the 40+ degree day...:becky:

Christy

Angel Diva
Does anyone find that their boots are too stiff in cold temps, and is there anything you do to mitigate that? Does a heated boot bag keep them from stiffening or do they just freeze up quickly once out on the slopes?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone find that their boots are too stiff in cold temps, and is there anything you do to mitigate that? Does a heated boot bag keep them from stiffening or do they just freeze up quickly once out on the slopes?

I had that with my last pair of boots. It would have been funny if it wasn't so difficult - go in for lunch, and suddenly I can ski properly again - for about one run =/

Christy

Angel Diva
So maybe a softer pair of boots is the only solution?

Or how do people deal with their boots getting much stiffer when it's cold?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ended up buying a softer pair of boots, ultimately. It wasn't the only reason, but it was one of the reasons.

Jilly

Staff member
I know that when I came in from the cold wearing my Technica's, I would have to wait about 10 min to get them off. The cuff just would not open. My new Atomic Hawks....no problem. So maybe it's the type of plastic. My Hawk's are the stiffest they make. But they definitely softer than those Technica Diablo Pro's.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I think I tend to notice too-soft boots when it's warm, rather than too-stiff boots when it's cold (other than when putting them on). Warmed-up boots can get cold pretty quickly, just thinking of post-lunchtime runs, for instance.

Christy

Angel Diva
I think I tend to notice too-soft boots when it's warm, rather than too-stiff boots when it's cold (other than when putting them on). Warmed-up boots can get cold pretty quickly, just thinking of post-lunchtime runs, for instance.

I suppose that would be the problem if I got softer boots.

I've always skied poorly after lunch and the light bulb just went on yesterday about that. I always take my boots off; they must be getting cold.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I suppose that would be the problem if I got softer boots.

I've always skied poorly after lunch and the light bulb just went on yesterday about that. I always take my boots off; they must be getting cold.
I always ski poorly after lunch, too. I think it's more the muscles getting cold than anything. And, boots always feel "different" later in the day. Our feet constrict and swell depending on temps, hydration, etc. I'm learning to just suck it up and go ski. It used to drive me bonkers, though!

As for boots stiffening up in the cold--mine seem to be fine for me until it drops below 10 degrees. Then, they do start to feel like they're spanking me. Thankfully, we don't get many days that cold here.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, I guess I don't really notice my boots varying in stiffness very much. Maybe I'm just oblivious, or maybe I have awesome boots. :smile: Obviously there's the whole "easier to slip on" thing when they are warmer, but once they are on and buckled I don't recall ever finding that they were either excessively stiff or excessively soft, and I've skied in a very wide range of temps. Being a cold-natured person, I do know that when my toes start getting cold that it must be REALLY cold out, and/or really snowy, because my feet are generally pretty cozy, especially if I keep moving.

mustski

Angel Diva
Yes. This is much more of an issue for me. Since I have narrow feet, softer boots are a bigger problem. SoCal temps amplify that. I always ski better in colder weather and it's not just the weather. My boots fit better.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My new boots supposedly have a more consistent flex across temperature ranges. So far, that seems to be true!

Jilly

Staff member
Boot gloves, but not the boot heaters. Boot heaters only work on the bottom of the feet. The element is in the footbed. Would be interesting though to see if there is enough heat from the heated sock.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boot gloves only help the "foot" part of the boot - I don't know if they'd be that helpful for flex.

I was thinking pants over the boot cuff should help, but you know, it never seems to. My insulated pants don't make my boots flex better. My new boots seem to have solved this issue, but the only thing I can think of that might help is battery-powered loose pants that would fit over the cuff of the boot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna