• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bindings for Rossignol Saffron 7?

Sparky

Angel Diva
Hello, newbie here! I recently bought the Rossi Saffron 7 to serve as my all-mountain/powder ski for west coast skiing and need to put some bindings on them. After much research I think I've now narrowed it down to the Rossi Saphir 110 and Salomon Z10 TI. They both seem to be good bindings but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts between the two for this particular ski. I think I'm leaning slightly more towards the Saphir because of the the 180 degree multi-directional toepiece. Of several merchant descriptions I've read, there was one that described the Z10 as having something similar, vertical progressive pivot, but I can't tell if that's as good as the Rossi feature. I welcome any opinions and experiences with these!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Salomon Z10 is my binding of choice. The ramp angle is more neutral than the Saphir binding. The demo Saffron's had the Saphir binding and it felt like I had a heel lift in my boot. Not a big difference but enough to be noticeable. My shop did have to order a wider brake for them. Btw, I have skied my Saffron's in all conditions and love them.

Jilly

Staff member
The Rossi Axium is the unisex version of the Saphir. Doesn't have that ramp angle. I have the Axial on my Temptation 88's. But that is not a binding for powder. (It was cheap..aka last one left in the store.) Biggest thing is that brake!!

Sparky

Angel Diva
Thanks for the suggestions. Why is it that the Saphir has the ramp angle that the Axium doesn't? I don't know much about ramp angles, why would Rossi have that when it seems that most do not prefer it? And how much does that affect performance?

Little Lightning - I'm glad to hear you love the Saffrons, I can't wait to get them out! Although we haven't gotten much snow here in Mammoth at all so far this season, so not sure how well they will do. Do you have other skis in your quiver? I had demoed these and the Black Pearls and am thinking about getting those as well for less snow conditions. I, and the guys at the shops, think that they are different enough to justify having both in my quiver. Would you agree?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Salomon Z10 is my binding of choice. The ramp angle is more neutral than the Saphir binding. The demo Saffron's had the Saphir binding and it felt like I had a heel lift in my boot. Not a big difference but enough to be noticeable. My shop did have to order a wider brake for them. Btw, I have skied my Saffron's in all conditions and love them.
I have the Salomon Z10 Titaniums on my volkl kenja's. I think they are a great lightweight binding. I'm in Tahoe now and would demo the Rossi Saffron 7's but why waste the money with marginal snow? Can't remember your height and weight as I was concerned they might be a tad long… me, 5'1 100 lbs…

Sparky

Angel Diva
Yeah, ideally I'd like a lighter binding. I'm 5'3" and about 115 lbs, and I would say advanced intermediate and hoping to improve. I originally bought the '14 Sambas at a great price because of the rave reviews but as I did more research and read more about the Saffrons, I was afraid the Sambas was too much ski for someone at my level and weight. So I returned them and after demoing the Saffrons and loving them, I knew that was the better ski for me Let's pray for some snow in CA!!!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yeah, ideally I'd like a lighter binding. I'm 5'3" and about 115 lbs, and I would say advanced intermediate and hoping to improve. I originally bought the '14 Sambas at a great price because of the rave reviews but as I did more research and read more about the Saffrons, I was afraid the Sambas was too much ski for someone at my level and weight. So I returned them and after demoing the Saffrons and loving them, I knew that was the better ski for me Let's pray for some snow in CA!!!
I demo-ed the Sambas and loved them in a 149 last year…… but i must say i have been skiing over 35 years… Still not an expert, but probably advanced.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So the 162's were ok for you?

Sparky

Angel Diva
I was nervous that they'd be too long, but they were great and I can imagine how much more fun they would be in some nice powder (if we ever get any this season!). I had also demoed the Black Pearl in both 159 and 152. I was much more comfortable in the 152 and loved them, which is what the shop guy expected but he said the 159 is probably what I should buy, that it would be more suitable for me in better conditions. Having already bought the Saffrons, it seems it would make more sense to get the Black Pearls in 152, so that's what I'm thinking now...

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have had very good luck with the Marker Squire - it is on my Yumi, my Elysian, and my daughter's Dynastar Eden. Lightweight, similar to the Salomon Z10 ti, and come in snazzy colors in addition to the basics.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the suggestions. Why is it that the Saphir has the ramp angle that the Axium doesn't? I don't know much about ramp angles, why would Rossi have that when it seems that most do not prefer it? And how much does that affect performance?

Little Lightning - I'm glad to hear you love the Saffrons, I can't wait to get them out! Although we haven't gotten much snow here in Mammoth at all so far this season, so not sure how well they will do. Do you have other skis in your quiver? I had demoed these and the Black Pearls and am thinking about getting those as well for less snow conditions. I, and the guys at the shops, think that they are different enough to justify having both in my quiver. Would you agree?
I'm pretty much a Rossi devotee. Originally I started with the S3, then added the Temptation 88. Last year I replaced the S3 with the Savory 7. My intent this year was to buy the upgraded Temptation 88 but when I demoed, the Saffron was the winner. I demoed the Black Pearl in a 158. Maybe it was too long for me but it seemed more like a front side ski, not what I was looking for. The Saffron is now my everyday ski with the Savory being my powder ski. Both the Saffron and Savory are 162's.

One of the reasons for the Z10 is the low din setting (I'm 93lbs and 5'1"). My bootfitter believes that a neutral binding is better. Ramp angle is the same as adding a heel lift, some people need them, some do not. Too much lift could put you in the back seat. If you need the heel lift it's better to do it in the boot not the binding.

Based on my experience with the Saffron's you will not need the Black Pearl. It's amazing how easy it is to get such a wide ski on edge to turn. It does well in powder but for a good powder day I prefer my Savory's.

Make sure you're buying the Saffron's with the pink topsheet. Last year Rossi used a different core and they are not the same ski. My store would not stock them.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Yes my Saffons are the 2015 with the pink topsheet. I figure the BPs would replace my first carver and 90 all mountains which I feel I have outgrown and the Saffron could be more of my powder ski. I looked at the Savory but was afraid of the width and most describe it as an advanced to expert ski. But feeling so comfortable on the Saffron, I wonder if the Savory would've been okay. I would demo them but like you said, seems like a waste with less than ideal conditions. Hmm, maybe BP and Savory for the new quiver...

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski the Saffron's for awhile and decide if you need a carving ski. The Temptations 88's are great carvers. I really liked this year's version but liked the Saffron's better. The Saffron's seem more all mountain which I wanted. I hate having to decide which ski to use when I go out.

mustski

Angel Diva
@Sparky What part of SoCal are you in? I just wanted to say welcome. If you ski Big Bear at all, then the BPs would be a great addition for the frontside. Then again, I'm an enabler!

iamOshawott

Certified Ski Diva
I also bought Saffron 7 instead of Temptation 88, it ended up to be ~400 USD because of the cheap Canadian dollars. I am still undecided for bindings though...

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Salomon Z10 Ti are pretty light, a nice binding in general.
Just watch what brake size you get. :smile:

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, the 100s would be perfect. The 90mm brake fit my 90mm wide ski, and could have been bent a bit if needed.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Solomon Z12s (the Z10s big sis I guess) with a 100 mm brake on my Armada TSTw's, which are 101 underfoot, so they can be bent a little. It works just fine, although my skis don't lock together that well for transport.

Someone else mentioned the Marker Squires, which I have on my Celebrity 90s. I would agree that they are significantly lighter than the Solomons if weight is a consideration for you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly