• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Armada VJJ 2.0 Review

Lexiski

Certified Ski Diva
LOVED IT!

Significantly more stable at speed and more dependable on groomers than the previous iteration of the VJJ.
Didn't think it was possible to love this ski more, but Armada has done well to soften up the rocker on the tail here. This ski is at the top of my list for 2015. Commence penny pinching!

See photo of old VJJ compared to new VJJ profile.
(Old VJJ on left, new VJJ on right).

Panda graphics aren't my favorite, but they are growing on me.

Attachments

• IMG_2896.JPG
    IMG_2896.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 4-2.JPG
    4-2.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 43

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So how does this compare to the JJ? Previously, they were the same ski with different topsheets. Do you know if that's still true or if the VJJ now is different from the JJ?

mustski

Angel Diva
I like the Panda graphics. That's the first VJJ graphic that I can handle looking at, while riding the lift, once all the snow falls off my skis. The last two years were just...creepy!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh! I didn't see the panda till you mentioned it. Neat!

Lexiski

Certified Ski Diva
So how does this compare to the JJ? Previously, they were the same ski with different topsheets. Do you know if that's still true or if the VJJ now is different from the JJ?

Hey Kimmy T!

You know, I wasn't totally sure on this so I double checked with one of the Armada reps. He reports the JJ and the VJJ 2.o are identical save the topsheet, so you were right on.
The only difference is that the JJ is also offered in a 185cm length.

Compared to last year the new VJJ has a slightly longer turning radius (a good thing in my book) - the taper in the tip and tail is more gradual so you get less twitchiness at speed. I found it noticablye more stable on groomers than the older VJJ and felt more support in the tail as I finished turns.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like solid improvements to an already super fun ski!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, I had JJs and thought that radius was too tight for my liking, one of the reasons I switched to DPS. I also like more even flex throughout the ski in DPS. Not sure if this has been addressed in a new version. Other than that I loved my JJs.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @Lexiski -thanks for the review - looks like you had the aaatack 13 binding on them - any thought on the aaatacks vs the marker squire?

Lexiski

Certified Ski Diva
Hi @Lexiski -thanks for the review - looks like you had the aaatack 13 binding on them - any thought on the aaatacks vs the marker squire?

Hey WaterGirl!

I actually don't know too much about the aaatacks. I've only used them in demo type settings.
Personally I would go with Marker as I've used and trust their bindings.
My ultimate preference is to go with something that features a turntable style heel piece, like the Look Pivot or Rossi FKS. These models are a little spendier however. I've used Marker bindings for years with no issues. The aaatacks I just am not too familiar with.

scarah

Diva in Training
From all the reviews I’ve been reading, I’m super excited to try the Armada VJJ…but I’m wondering if it’s too much ski for me. I am 5'10, 135 lbs, and not a super aggressive skier. Though I ski almost exclusively backcountry, when I do ski at a ski area I can usually ski anything inbounds, though I may not totally style it. Backcountry I typically ski open bowls and trees, with the occasional couloir thrown in. My favorite angle is 38 degrees…I live in AK so conditions are mostly pow, but can also include heinous breakable crust, mashed potatoes and ice. I currently have rossi sickbirds with old dynafit tlts and ancient scarpa magic boots. I’m ready to up my game and will be getting an entirely new setup (and the new pair of skis will be my main ski, ie my “quiver of one”).

The VJJ sounds like such a fun all-around ski but I’m not an expert skier, and several sites/reviews list it as expert. Does anyone know how it compares to the sickbird in terms of stiffness? Sometimes I feel like I’m in the back seat a little with them…like if I space out and lose focus they get away from me. I don’t remember the size, but they were the smallest size they made at the time (I think it was 2008…so maybe 171 cm) I’ve also been looking at the Savory 7s (but I’ve had like 3 pair of Rossi’s in a row and I’m ready to branch out) or the DPS Yvette. Suggestions?? Also, any thoughts on the fact that I’m freakishly tall but fairly thin? Should I go shorter to make up for my skinniness? Thanks in advance!

Xinga

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my VJJs! I pretty much used them as my "daily driver" last season for the vast majority of my 58 days on the mountain.
One icy day last season I went out with my 88mm under foot, 163cm long, K2 Tough Luvs instead, and couldn't believe how different and and awful they felt! Went right back down and put the VJJs on. I do also ski a pair of Ski Logik Goddess TTs occasionally, but they are feeling too short for me lately (I think they are 158cm). My VJJs are a 165, but they seem to run long, as they are significantly longer than my Tough Luvs and almost as tall as I am when standing vertically (I'm 5'5"). Thought about picking up the 2.0 VJJs this season, but went with the TSTw instead, in hopes that it will be a good replacement for my Ski Logiks.
I would describe my skiing ability as advanced, and hopefully improving toward expert. I love big mountain, off-piste, and especially powder. When there is no powder, I prefer skied-out soft crud and some bumps to groomers. Still working on getting more comfortable in the really steeps and trees.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're not freakishly tall. Paging @pinto in case she has thoughts for tall lean skiers.

Hi, yes, I have owned both the Soul 7 and DPS 112 RP, which are the unisex versions of the Savory and the Yvette. I never skied the Sick Bird (although I love the graphics!) but I am quite sure it's a heavier, stiffer ski than the other two. When off piste, I think trying to go head height but not so stiff is the best thing for us tall skiers. My DPS is 184, it skis quite short with all the rocker, and my Soul 7 was 180. I would think the 178 in either ski would be just right for you. You'd probably be surprised how easy the 184 DPS is to ski, too.

Other ideas are the Atomic Century 109, in a 175, or maybe the Salomon Rockette.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From all the reviews I’ve been reading, I’m super excited to try the Armada VJJ…but I’m wondering if it’s too much ski for me. I am 5'10, 135 lbs, and not a super aggressive skier. Though I ski almost exclusively backcountry, when I do ski at a ski area I can usually ski anything inbounds, though I may not totally style it. Backcountry I typically ski open bowls and trees, with the occasional couloir thrown in. My favorite angle is 38 degrees…I live in AK so conditions are mostly pow, but can also include heinous breakable crust, mashed potatoes and ice. I currently have rossi sickbirds with old dynafit tlts and ancient scarpa magic boots. I’m ready to up my game and will be getting an entirely new setup (and the new pair of skis will be my main ski, ie my “quiver of one”).

The VJJ sounds like such a fun all-around ski but I’m not an expert skier, and several sites/reviews list it as expert. Does anyone know how it compares to the sickbird in terms of stiffness? Sometimes I feel like I’m in the back seat a little with them…like if I space out and lose focus they get away from me. I don’t remember the size, but they were the smallest size they made at the time (I think it was 2008…so maybe 171 cm) I’ve also been looking at the Savory 7s (but I’ve had like 3 pair of Rossi’s in a row and I’m ready to branch out) or the DPS Yvette. Suggestions?? Also, any thoughts on the fact that I’m freakishly tall but fairly thin? Should I go shorter to make up for my skinniness? Thanks in advance!

I had JJs and switched to DPS last year as they were getting old and beat. JJ's are not very demanding and you don't need to be very aggressive to ski them at all. I am 5'6" and 115, advanced but not expert and had them in 175. My DPS is 168 - I bought them on sale and it was the last length left. They work well but if I am to buy them again I would go for the next up (176??) and put touring bindings on 168. You should be fine with either of these skis. You have 4 inches on me, so maybe it's worth trying both 175 and 185 to see what you prefer. I have to say that I prefer DPS due to their longer radius and more even flex, but YMMV.

scarah

Diva in Training
Thanks for all the great replies...I had kind of switched gears back to biking again...since it seemed winter had forsaken us up here in Alaska. We are finally getting some snow now though and I'm getting excited. I'm leaning towards the DPSs at this point...:smile: although I was checking out some cham 107's this week and they felt pretty snappy too...at least in the store...and I could 'impulse buy' them right now. and about being freakishly tall...I sure feel freak-like when I can't find any ski pants long enough! I've given up and am sewing extensions on my patagonia pants...it's given me something to do while I wait for it to finally snow! Happy turns to all and thanks again for the nicely specific answers to my questions!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all the great replies...I had kind of switched gears back to biking again...since it seemed winter had forsaken us up here in Alaska. We are finally getting some snow now though and I'm getting excited. I'm leaning towards the DPSs at this point...:smile: although I was checking out some cham 107's this week and they felt pretty snappy too...at least in the store...and I could 'impulse buy' them right now. and about being freakishly tall...I sure feel freak-like when I can't find any ski pants long enough! I've given up and am sewing extensions on my patagonia pants...it's given me something to do while I wait for it to finally snow! Happy turns to all and thanks again for the nicely specific answers to my questions!

Arc'teryx Sentinel pant, in the tall version, has a 35" inseam. Longest pant I ever found ( I have two pairs). Even the regular length of the Sentinel is longer than most pants, I think.

Far cheaper is the Outdoor Research Paramour (not sure about the other models), and it's almost as long; not quite as nice a pant, but I got it for $80, so who cares. Good luck, I feel your pain!

scarah

Diva in Training
amazing!! you just made my day...last night I ordered their beta AR...in a long. there was a lot of confusion about what the length was...their size charts said 32" (how can that be considered a long!!?) but in the comments on the arcteryx website a rep said they were 35" inseam, which would be dreamy. from what you are saying, I am hoping this is true. it's the most I've ever spent on pants but I'm tired of highwaters and snow in my boots!! yay! and I hadn't even thought of OR, so that's good to know for future reference!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
amazing!! you just made my day...last night I ordered their beta AR...in a long. there was a lot of confusion about what the length was...their size charts said 32" (how can that be considered a long!!?) but in the comments on the arcteryx website a rep said they were 35" inseam, which would be dreamy. from what you are saying, I am hoping this is true. it's the most I've ever spent on pants but I'm tired of highwaters and snow in my boots!! yay! and I hadn't even thought of OR, so that's good to know for future reference!

Yeah, the website says 32", but I measured it myself and they are a cool 35". I don't know about the Beta, that's good to know, as well! [scurrying off to arc'teryx website now..]

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My arcteryx jacket isn't even going to ship for a few more days =/

.. Oh hey. I just checked my email to see when it was supposed to ship - and it has shipped!!! Estimated delivery Dec 9, but that seems like a long time. Maybe it will get here for the weekend just for me?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna