• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone want to learn to speed skate with me? (Utah)

altagirl

Staff member
AG - who is your skeleton friend??? I know most of the sliders. A first name is all I need to know them!
Has she gotten you up to the track to take a run yet? Now, they are truly looney tunes! Nothing like barreling down an icy track head first with your chin about an inch from the ice!!!

Kimber and Brad. They got me out on Friends and Family day last winter, which was really fun... well and scary as you're pinging off the walls... but I can see why they like it so much. I think I like skating more - that seems to suit my style! :smile:

And just as an update - I'm still skating. I've done 2 club races now. I finished the 3000m last time (just short of 8 laps), which was quite a challenge - I'd only ever completed half that many laps in practice, but we did age group races of the 1000m, 500m and 700m and then an open group of everyone who wants to racing the 3000m at the end so I gave it a shot with the goal of finishing and actually did much better than I expected. So now I've been working up to actually finishing it without having to stand up and let my back un-cramp in the middle of it. Today I did 6 laps, then 5 laps, then 4 laps and felt pretty good. Considering a couple months ago doing 2 consecutive laps was like torture, that's pretty good!

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK. I do know Kimber and Brad! I saw Brad up at the track last week, when he foreran for the IC races. I was up in Calgary when Brad did his America's Cup race this year - had a drink or two with him and his family at the after party. And, I've been getting the results from Kimber's races in Europe. She's doing great for her first foray onto European tracks.
I'm a total clutz on skates. I can't imagine speedskating. But, there is nothing like guys in Spandex :drool:

altagirl

Staff member
OK. I do know Kimber and Brad! I saw Brad up at the track last week, when he foreran for the IC races. I was up in Calgary when Brad did his America's Cup race this year - had a drink or two with him and his family at the after party. And, I've been getting the results from Kimber's races in Europe. She's doing great for her first foray onto European tracks.
I'm a total clutz on skates. I can't imagine speedskating. But, there is nothing like guys in Spandex :drool:

Yeah, I've been chatting with her online most days - sounds like she's having a great time and doing well in Europe! :smile: I guess she had a pretty good wreck a day or two ago, but other than that it seems like she's doing better than expected, so that's great!

And I'm sure you'd get used to skating. I felt like a fawn learning to walk the first few days, but it's been great for developing better balance skills.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bet her crash was in Altenberg, Germany. I know a few people who have had problems there. Altenberg is a nasty track - there are always crashes there. Brad said that the group at Altenberg was going to try to get to Prague (it's about 40 miles away) for a quick visit before heading off to Igls, the next track. I imagine that both of them will be forerunning for the World Cup races in February.

altagirl

Staff member
I bet her crash was in Altenberg, Germany. I know a few people who have had problems there. Altenberg is a nasty track - there are always crashes there. Brad said that the group at Altenberg was going to try to get to Prague (it's about 40 miles away) for a quick visit before heading off to Igls, the next track. I imagine that both of them will be forerunning for the World Cup races in February.

Yeah - here's her blog update on it. You should check out the hole in her suit!

https://www.orangetomato.blogspot.com/

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh yeah!

Lovely hole! I hope she has duct tape with her to fix that hole!! Too bad that was her race suit, not her training suit.
I've been to Altenberg. It really is a tiny town. They did find the best hotel around. When I was there for World championships, that was the place that all the VIPs stayed. I had dinner there one night - a vegetarian casserole that had HAM in it!! good thing I'm not a true vegetarian (I just don't like to eat red meat unless it's the only thing available), so I had a good laugh about that.
That track is notorious for being tough on the sliders. The week before Kimber's race, one of the Aussie girls had a nasty crash in the World Cup race and was airlifted to the hospital. I saw a few bobsleds dump at that track. It definitely commands respect from all sliders!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly