• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone into American Football?

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a little update .... I had a lot of pains and aches in my legs since the first training. Old injuries in pains old tendon problems reappearing .... No pills nor rest did make it better. So I decided to switch to Homeopatics ... after 2 days its getting better ... still some pains but much less. As I can't to any jogging or biking I decided to go on with the shoulder / chest training. I use 1/2l waterbottles and two 3kg dumbells and an elastic rubberband. The water bottles I use to make my exercices I learned during PT a few years ago. The help to loosen my stiff right shoudler (old injury from too much hard tackling). The dumbells will give my upper body/arms more OOOMPS!! The rubber band I use to strengthen my right arm that has to trow the football for up to 1h ..... my gosh 10 years ago I wouldn't be able to trow one football because of my bad shoulder.
I hope in 1-2 days I can start with walking/easy jogging training. Its not easy in my age to train every day even if I am too tired ....
And there is the playbook pass routes to learn which is much more difficult. I always played in the defence ... there its very easy to play .... just "kill" ehem stop the girl with the football! :becky::becky:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ordered new shoes from "Under Armor" .... my old ones from Reebok where still in good shape but very heavy!
Reebok - 1100g / 38.8 ounces
Under Armour - 361g / 12.8 ounces
for comparison my Asics running shoes: 400g / 14.11 ounces

I hope these new lighter shoes will help me to be faster and put off a lot strain from my leg muscles/tendons .... we'll see that later.

Today I hope I can do some jogging. My aches in the legs are nearly gone since I take the homeopathics ....

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahhhh .... I hate jogging! Only 1/2h was enough for me. I did alternate training ... 50yds walking 50-100yds running and so on ... had some pains in my left knee and tendons on the hip ... never mind ... 1-2 weeks and my body will "work" fine again.
Finally got the teams playbook ... so I can study before sleep.
I already noticed some changes on my shoulders .... some muscles are showing ... nice!

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jogging is my life .... get used to it. Did also a nice bikeride on sunday. But my knees did not like that at all!!! Really strange ....
The next two week I am on holiday in Italy. I will not rest for 2 weeks. Will do my daily jogging/bikrides and a lot of exercices with the football on the beach. Already prepared all things needed for it.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Returned from holidays in italy .... did a lot of stuff there ... mostly jogging/walking/biking and hours of trowing the football on the beach. Very nice place for the training on the beach I had!!! :becky:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday was my first footballtraining after the sommer holidays.
As you may have read in my other postings I did a lot of exercises during the last 4 weeks. Time to find out if my stamina is good enough to run over one hour during training.
Surprise surprise .... everything went well! First my new shoes (12.8 ounces/pair) are superb, they are from under armour. You do not feel any weight on the feet! Coach did not let my play quarterback (don't know why) so I had do run passing routes as receiver. And that for some 60mins .... I did not get tired at all!!!!
I need some more muscles on my shoulders/arms and the abdominals need a lot of exercise!!! Sit-ups are not what they really like!!!!!
This was also the first training with my contact-lenses. Wonderful to do sport without glasses. :becky::becky:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Friday 21:00: First trining session at the fitness center. To get my body fit for football I need a lot more muscles. So I decided its time to get professional help at a fitness center nearby. My personal trainer is german and from Stuttgart! Nice surprise! He showed me how to use the different machines and which settings/weights I have to use. I must say that I enjoyed the 1.5h hours there a lot! Will take some months to regain my muscles I lost during the last 10 years. Specially on the upper body .... I need a lot of exercise to get them back. I decided to make a contract for 12month as the price was much lower than all other centers nearby. Its a center with just the weightlifting machines and the machines like cycling/running/rowing. No aerobic classes or sauna. You even have to pay for the showers. I do not need to shower afterwards as its only a 10mins drive from home. But its much cheaper than all other centers. Annual fee is 537$ for as much visits as I like! I was shattered afterwards but VERY VERY happy. Its really strange that I feel very happy after doing some physical training ...
OK ladies ... that all for today .... I'm off to do some biking befor relaxing the rest of sunday!!!! :becky::becky:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Training Tuesday 21.09.2010: A day I really like to cancel from my life .... strangely during warm-up my muscles in the upper started to hurt and it got worse during the whole training. I did my best and ran and ran and ran all the passing routes the coach announced. I catched most of the passes .... some of them where really nice. Just like the long/hail mary ones in the NFL!!!!
Sometimes I think my body is too old to do sports and sometimes I am very happy that my body is working fine .... :rolleyes:
So I am back to get my muscles painfree and maybe till tuesday everything is OK again!!! ;-))))

Jenny

Angel Diva
I really hate how one day you can do everything pain free and effortlessly and the next time everything is hard and it hurts! I know it didn't used to be like that (i.e.. when we were younger).

Good luck next week . . .

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Jenny ... I know its very strange but it happens all the time again and again .... 2 days after training my muscles are nearly back to normal. Just an old injury (torn muscle) of the bizeps femoris muscle does hurt after every training .... thats normal .... this muscle will not work properly again.
I also bought compression shorts from Under Armour. Maybe this will help against the pains .... hope so.
Today I will go to the gym to strengthen my body .... upper body has not enough power to play football .... all muscles gone in the last 8years without sport.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
An unfortunate part of getting older....we lose muscle mass a lot faster, AND it takes longer to regain it, AND we need more recovery time between hard workouts! :rolleyes:

Make sure you are recovering properly betwen workouts, and many times an "active" recovery works best...instead of pure rest, go for an easy bike ride, an easy hike, do some light yoga, or go float in a pool and paddle around a bit.:smile:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
An unfortunate part of getting older....we lose muscle mass a lot faster, AND it takes longer to regain it, AND we need more recovery time between hard workouts! :rolleyes:

Make sure you are recovering properly betwen workouts, and many times an "active" recovery works best...instead of pure rest, go for an easy bike ride, an easy hike, do some light yoga, or go float in a pool and paddle around a bit.:smile:

Jep!!! You're right .... I do not like to be the couch potato in the days between training. My muscles recover much faster if I do some walking/biking etc.

I went to the gym yesterday ... managed to do all exercises on the machines 2-3 times. I am tired today but the muscles to not ache!!
Hope to get back into shape till spring 2011! Luckily all the efforts to get fit asap will also help me to ski better!!! :becky:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a surprise at yesterdays football training!!!!! I did my warm-up session and no the team one so my all my muscles where warm before the hard part of the training began.
What a difference between this and last weeks training. Push-ups ... sprints .... running backwards and other drills .... no problem.
Even running passing routes for 1h and then some other drills because the girls couldn't shut-up during training did not tire me much. I am so happy that everything went well!!!!
Next week we start tackle training again .... :becky::becky::becky:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a little update .... went out friday evening with my best friend. Lots of drinking and dancing .... went to bed around 5 in the morning .... no problem to go for a really hard training session at the fitness center. I mean if you can go out all night long you also can do some real exercise the next day!!!! :smile:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tuesday training was ok ... tist one with shoulder pad and helmet ... first some passing routes (what else) and then we did some tackle exercises but nothing really special ... :rolleyes:
I was surprised to hear from the coach that they did not do any tackle training last season ... can't understand that ... but I can understand why the team lost most of the games .... :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I hope this will change next season!!! Anyway ... I know how to tackle very hard ... you learn it once and thats it! Like riding a bike!!!!
We'll see next week what we will do in training as there will be a second choach with us. :becky:

I wasn't happy with my shoulder pad at all ... its a real good one from Ridell but I can't lift my arms enough to catch a football ... so I went to the sports shop yesterday and bought the same pad but last years model and in the small size (old one is a medium). Due to some changes in the design in the pad I can lift my arm very good, my shoulder are tighter in the pad and its longer in the back (mo need for an extra back protection plate). The new helmet is very confortable ... its a little bit tight at the jaw but maybe I can change the padding there.

Went to the fitness center yesterday ... I know I should take a break every other day from training ... I just couldn't resist. +25% on all exercices ... 20 instead of 15 times on each machine. Rowing for warm-up and cycling for cooldown ...

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a little update .... went out friday evening with my best friend. Lots of drinking and dancing .... went to bed around 5 in the morning .... no problem to go for a really hard training session at the fitness center. I mean if you can go out all night long you also can do some real exercise the next day!!!! :smile:

The same for yesterday ... returned at 7 in the morning from a girls only party ... in the afternoon I was in the fitness center for my training! :becky::becky:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna