• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Alpine Meadows/Squaw Valley Lodging? Food?

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
@marzNC. Those photos are gorgeous. Thanks for the context. Makes me wish for January.

ETA: I'm reading through the Tahoe Diva week now and I'm going to search the trip reports for Squaw and Alpine Meadows. The plan is to ski Alpine Meadows for 3 days M/T/TH (we have AM privates those days) and then Squaw on W/F (no lessons).

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
What about adapting to altitude? It always takes me a couple of days to feel normal skiing at A-Basin.
A-Basin is one of the highest lift-served ski areas in the Rockies. Squaw/Alpine top out around 9000 ft, with the base around 6200 ft. Still high enough for a flatlander to take a day or two to adjust, but you shouldn't feel nearly as out of breath as at A-Basin. I was in Denver for a week before skiing A-Basin for a day and could really feel the altitude.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Dtrick924 I'm long overdue for a trip report from my April trip to Tahoe, and I will remember to cross-post here.

It is extremely dry compared to what we're used to in the east so hydrate accordingly and check out recs in other threads for moisturizers.

I had some altitude issues the first day I skied but that was at Mt. Rose -- higher than SquawAlpine if I remember correctly -- but also had some challenges with boot issues, plus being in over my head for my ability (more on that in the TR). After I was on the lower slopes on more compatible terrain it was much better.

I'm a big VRBO/HomeAway fan but as noted, pickings could be slim without a full week that time of year but you could luck out with a condo -- and if you want a condo there will be more inventory at Squaw. Sometimes it's cheaper to do a weekly rental (even if you're only there 5 days) vs. paying daily for a shorter stay, so check into all the options.

I think you will love both resorts. Different vibes, but lots of positives for both.

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
@va_deb. Thanks for the tips. I'm enjoying everyone's trip reports and look forward to yours. I found Colorado very dry compared to the East so I will prepare accordingly.

We'll be staying the first night in Reno near the airport (it's New Year's Eve so rooms were going fast) and then a condo on the access road to Alpine Meadows for the rest of the week. Here's the place on VRBO. https://www.vrbo.com/334570

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cool, you did get the condo you can ski back to! FWIW, the base elevation at Alpine is 6835', and the highest peak is 8637'. At Squaw the base elevation is 6200' and the highest peak is 9006'.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks ladies-great info!! Planning on skiing Squaw & Alpine on our way to Mammoth.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About altitude..
A humidifier in the bedroom has been very helpful for sleeping at altitude and a pinch of salt in the water helps too.

I only was affected by Altitude at SunValley (base is about 6k top 9150) it was the first day and I had wine at dinner. I was SOOO tired by 3pm I could have slept on the lift! No last run for me that day!! I think the the time change coming from the east, drive from SLC to Mt, excitement of skiing new mountain the wine and the altitude all contributed to extreme exhaustion. (I was fine the rest of the trip but I avoided alcohol for several days)

Just in case, now I give up wine/alcohol for a couple of days and drink tons of water before I go and while at altitude. I'm looking for a portable humidifier for this year's Western trips in case there's not one there it definitely helped w/sleeping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna